Goodbye Jesus

I Don't Believe In Atheists.

LostOrFound

I agree that he was trying to prove a point. When I was about 13 my priest said almost exactly the same thing. He told us if we ever met an atheist to say that. It got a good laugh out of the crowd too. It sounds so silly to me now...

If that ever happened to me, however, I would probably just laugh out loud and let the dude walk away.

(I love the response "ooookkkkkkkkkkkaaayyyy" Haha, that's what I would be thinking.)

He responded with, "I don't believe in atheists." and walked away.

Should this ever happen again, I would like to have a ready response. Any ideas?

"I don't believe it matters."

"I don't believe I care."

"Your opinion doesn't change reality."

"That's fine, I don't believe in christians." :HaHa:

If someone did that to me I would walk after them, give them a tap on the shoulder and say, "I don't believe in people who don't believe in atheists." And then walk away.

Or how about, "Clearly, your cult has made you more delusional than I thought."

LostOrFound, I realize this is twisting the topic of this thread a bit. I'm wondering what you felt like being told he doesn't believe in atheists. Did he mean you don't exist, as we are taking it? or was he talking about the christian myth that claims it is impossible not to believe in god so obviously there are no atheists? No need to answer this.

Perhaps also it was a method of avoiding an argument he knew he was ill-prepared for, ie, arguing with an Atheist.

He probably knew he didn't have responses for standard Atheist criticisms of Xianity, so he tucked tail and ran, with a snotty remark to distract you with.

Like Taphie remarked, I'd have said that he obviously doesn't believe in manners, either, and probably called him an asshole on top of it. Rude behavior deserves nothing better.

My former xian roomie, the same one who trashed recylcleable stuff, once saw me looking at this site. He said that he haven't seen the term exchristian before, so he didn't think that we existed. Maybe the lawyer haven't met someone who he knew was an atheist.

I probably would have just started laughing. :HaHa: Seriously, why even bother taking something that stupid seriously? They have no manners, no intelligence, and clearly believe they're taking the high road by pronouncing you as imaginary, when at the same time you obviously exist because they've just spoken to you. Laugh. Loudly. Perhaps with a hoot of "I've been lumped in with the Easter Bunny and God! Imaginary!"

Come to think of it, I was confronted with the statement a week ago when I was talking with my little sister. She said more than once that "You believe. You do believe. You just said so."

That seemed like such a stupid, off-topic thing to say and I had no idea at the time what she was referring to. I was asking her a question and I wanted an answer. Since she was dodging my question to her I refused to respond to her charge other than to request that she return to the topic.

And yes, she did hang up on me eventually. I guess that would be the equivilent of walking away. I just turned around and wrote her a letter to say the things she gave me no chance to say on the phone. I don't know if she read it.

After considering it a bit more I have decided that no response is the best response. As you guys/gals have pointed out, his behavior was more rude than anything else. His comment does not deserve a reply at all. To say any of the things that my "id" would love to say would be to stoop to his banal level.

I thoroughly enjoy a healthy debate of philosophical and religious issues but it is nearly impossible to find a 'believer' who will debate without resorting to such silliness or the old standard - God said it, I believe it, that settles it - bullshit.

Well, at least now I am "prepared" should someone else say it. I will simply smile and go on my way with the knowledge that the person is an idiot and not worth my time of day.

Reminds me of a friend who doesn't think Buddhism is a religion because it doesn't revolve around a god.

Actually, most Buddhists don't believe that it's a religion. And it's not. It's a philosophy for life that can coincide with science in most cases.

Should this ever happen again, I would like to have a ready response. Any ideas?

Fucking right hook is the response that comes to mind.

Theist: I don't believe in atheists.

Atheist: Then who the heck are you talking to? Don't tell me you have TWO imaginary friends.

This is some kind of dismissive "I don't know what else to say so I'll just hit him/her with this silly, sensless response 'cause a christian always has to have the last word" response.

My response would be "Mate, I never asked you to believe in me." etc.. like "what's your point" or "...and that's the difference" or "why would I want you to believe in me," etc...