Goodbye Jesus

Christian Vs. Non-christian Charity

Guest Scientist

Guest Scientist

Here comes my first post! I don’t want to bore you with any conversion stories YET, but I had a really cool experience lately involving a charity, which contrasts quite nicely to a friend of mine who participated last year in a church-based one.

NON-CHURCH BASED CHARITY: I’m sure that everyone has seen/heard about/participated in some sort of giving tree type event. My wife and I participated in a NONRELIGOUS one this week. We bought presents for a couple little girls and turned them in unwrapped. From there, as usual, the organizers will wrap them themselves and give them to the parents so the children feel it is from their parents. Personally, I think this is about as kind of a gesture you can possibly organize during the holidays (Christ-mas, or whatever). I love an anonymous charitable gift. I don’t want any praise in return. Just the thought of a fiscally strained parent being able to spoil their children is enough to warm my cold, dark, non-god-fearing heart. To me, this is the spirit of the holidays.

CHURCH RELATED ‘GIVING’ TREE: My co-worker and his wife were pissed they didn’t find out about the above charity because they could no longer put themselves through the following church-based ordeal. In the event they described to me last year, the presents were not handed out by the childrens parents, but during a large Christmas party at the church… here is the uncomfortable part… my friends gave the presents themselves to the child and the child had to thank them!!! This just reinforces that they are not well off!!! …but these wonderful Christians were there to fill in for their ‘delinquent’ parents. Anyway, my friend refused to participate this year. I didn’t want to ask if they tried to evangelize the kids... but the thought crossed my mind.

Thoughts:

-Yes, I am being an ass for poking at their charity

-Is this benefiting the children or the piety of the churchgoers?

-How does this make the parents of the children feel?

-I wonder if the charity we participated in required unwrapped gifts so we couldn’t stash in any religious paraphernalia – like a talking jesus doll

-I know there are religious-based charities that are run pretty well, but this is just one example I don’t like

I give to a non-religious charity:

http://www.arcsvaluevillage.org/

They have a thrift store. It's easy to just drop stuff off and go. This is their main site:

http://www.archennepincarver.org/