Goodbye Jesus

Turning Down A Job At A Xian Place

truth

Urghhh I went to a job interview tonight at a place, and almost as soon as I walked into the place I could tell that it was a xian daycare. They had little nativity scenes up everywhere...HHHHmmm and the owner just had this xian vibe about her.

As I read her parent handbook it said that the owner has a xian background, and they read the xmas story and books and say grace with the kids.. And she did ask me if I was a xian.. I said no, I was raised xian but am not a practicing one anymore.

And get this... durning employee evaluations she has a spirituality catagory where one of the employees is not xian so she got low spirituality points..WTF is that all about anyhow..URGH

SO hhhm I kind of have a problem preaching to little kids about god and the virgin birth and saying a huge grace three times a day to wee kids..whose most familes aren't xian to begin with. They don't do any other preaching..but it this type of stuff that drives me crazy... and basically that is impossing your beliefs on others by making them and kids say grace.

The whole xianity thing is just too fresh, and raw right now for me to work for a xian employeer.. YIKES.. I said I would think about it, and give her a call and let her know.

I have worked at a xian place before but that was when I was a xian and the only grace that some of the staff did at one point was the johhny appleseed prayer.... and we never did it with the wee ones anyhow..ahhhhhh they did seem like a nice little place other than that... but I did go after hours too when all the kids and programing was done.

I would be nuts to go work there...not to mention a few other things like location and age grouping.. and stuff.

And she did ask me if I was a xian.. I said no, I was raised xian but am not a practicing one anymore.

That is illegal. At least in the states, employers are NOT allowed to ask interviewees about their religious views, politcal views, sexual orientation, or anything like that.

That is illegal. At least in the states, employers are NOT allowed to ask interviewees about their religious views, politcal views, sexual orientation, or anything like that.

Damn right - that is illegal.

You know that it was a Xian joint, now. Only a fundy would ask someone about their religion.

May depend on if it is attached to a church or something. You wont get to be a preacher in a baptist church if your a muslim for example.

Was this a daycare operating out of someone's house or a church/church school, or was it public?

Was this a daycare operating out of someone's house or a church/church school, or was it public?

It is a public daycare, privatly owned, it is run in a structure that is a house in a residental area but is only used for daycare purposes.

It just totally bugged me, how she thaught she wasn't impossing her beliefs on others, especially children and families. oh and complete with Thomas Kincade paintings in the upstairs bathrooms.

It was kind of the same, when as a xian I didn't want to work at a mulitcultural daycare because I didn't want to celeberate other religions holy days.. K I am kind of embarressed now to admit this...but that was how I useto think as a xian.. and went to work for a xian organization.. but they had it in their mission statement about showing jesus love to the world.. at least they were up front about it and had been around for eons.. to have a legal clause to only hire those ok with saying a little grace and devotions at staff meetings in their children programs.

But this place is different, and I am also different now.. I am trying to get away from the xian world the last place I want to go is to a xian operated place... YIKESS

Ow, this hurts. I feel like I'm defending Nazis or something. But I'm a big proponent of the separation of church (religion) and state, and that's a wall of separation without a door in it. If it's government provided or government subsidized day-care, then no, they shouldn't have any bias for religion one way or the other. But if it's private, then they should be able to hire whatever non-criminal they want or limit who they provide service to. It's the nature of freedom. (This isn't a statement of what's actually legal or not, only what should be legal.)

In fact, an excellent definition of freedom is the right to be as stupid as you want on your own dime, and unfortunately, that includes how you raise your children, short of abuse. Yes, I agree that raising your children as Christians or under other revealed religions could be considered abuse, but its either that or no freedom of religion. Taken to the extreme, I would be cringing inside if I had to fight against a constitutional amendment to make Freethought the official state sponsored position on religion, since I would very much agree with it as a goal, but only if it were one that was chosen free of government influence.

Even the most indoctrinated children can grow up to reject their indoctrination, as many of us have done--and the pain of deprogramming, with the skepticism it brings, is not without an upside in the long term.

The thing is I am sure she recieves some government grants and funding to operate this buisness as well clients receive monies that is subsidies from the government as well. If it was just her own children to indocernate I wouldn't mind so much but when people are desperate to find care for their kids or loose their job, they might reluctanlty enrolle their child there...but yes kids are smart but if they are being taught this from ages 1 to 5 yrs... maybe by the time they get to public school they will see the truth.

I guess I am more of an all or nothing type of person too... either totally secular or religious.. where this middle ground stuff just makes me wonder what the point is and what she is really trying to accomplish? I just wonder when people feel like they have to make everyone around them exhibit the same rituals and behaviour as them, is that their way of saying this is the only right way.

And yes they do have the right to exsist, it just bugs me how they are going about their exsistance.