Goodbye Jesus

No, Virginia, There Is No Santa Claus

The Paineful Truth

I think you and Ruby are taking this entirely too seriously.

Thackerie, you are discounting the legitimacy of my experiences. I explained what I based this on. I explained that perhaps in certain atmospheres/attitudes it may be okay.

Honestly, I've never known of anyone who was traumatized as a child by finding out the truth about Santa.

Maybe you have not done your homework. Just because you don't know it does not make it untrue. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Ignorance of the potential problems is no excuse, either.

.... Why would you expect me to accept your experience as legitimate if you discount mine just because you personally don't know me or anyone else who was traumatized by dishonest parents? I personally know a person who started questioning god because he found out that Santa was not real. This tells me kids WILL question their parents' teachings if intentionally deceived. Your kids, when and if you have them, might end up rabid evangelicals because they:

1. were taught to believe in a skydaddy i.e. Santa Clause.

2. found out you intentionally deceived them--evidence of your godlessness.

3. want to do better by their kids than they were done by.

Wow! You sound angry. Where did that come from? I did not mean to discount your experience, and I don't think I did (especially considering that you have no experience growing up with the Santa Claus fantasy), but do accept my apologies if I unwittingly said something that hurt your feelings.

However, I stand by my opinion - and that is all it is, MY opinion, not a condemnation of you - that it is unlikely that a brief flirtation with the Santa mythos ever hurt anyone. In fact, it may have done some good for some, such as the "person who started questioning god because he found out that Santa was not real."

Well I don't have kids, of my own and am not sure what I will tell my kids when I have them but.... I am kind of on the fence of whether to let them believe or tell them about make believe like a previous poster did with his son.

I grew up believing in Santa Claus, and most of my church and school peers also did. I also believed in the tooth fairy and easter bunny and for a few years believed in fairies, and liked to pretend I was one too..

Believing in thease imagining holiday beings, in my eyes as a child never had any corelation that Jesus or God might not be real either. I went to church every week sometimes a few times a week, and said my prayers every night to jesus... I didn't talk to the easter bunny or santa. As I kid I knew they were different.

I don't remember ever being angry or feeling lied to by my parents when I found out that Santa and the reindeers weren't real. I remember the year I stopped beliving I did a test to see if santa really came and gave rudolph a carrot.. I marked a carrot and then checked the fridge drawer the next day to see if the carrot had been put back or eaten by the reindeers....and yes it was found in the drawer. I belived in santa for a while, mainly because as a kid I had a very active imagination..... when I was little I could not distinguish dreams and reality I dreamt one yr that I saw santa puting presents under the tree.. for yrs I thought that I really saw Santa.

I don't really have a issue with beliving in Santa, I see my fundy friends not letting their kids know about santa... I guess it does teach kids to be skeptics which is maybe a good skill to have. I think I would rather teach my kids to have immagination than to believe in Santa. I don't know will worry about when I have kids. But maybe my parents teaching me to belive in Santa caused me to turn from xianity... LOL NOT.