Goodbye Jesus

Christians Calling The Shots

Amelia

Hi Guys!

Heading off to the in-laws' place for Xmas this year. They're nice people - fairly liberal Baptists (We're in Australia by the way, so I'm not not talking about wacky SBC people here!). My hubby's parents enjoy wine if we have it, but my husband's sister is a really strict Baptist and won't allow hubby and I to even have wine! Two years ago, Xmas was at my in-law's place, and my hubby's sister and her husband and four kids were just guests, but still, we had to do as she said. We bought our own wine, and were told not to open it whilst they were there.

This year Xmas is at the sister's house, so definitely no chance of a drop there. I'm a bit shitty about it too, because they won't even have a nice roast or anything. It's bloody kebabs on the barbeque - something you'd have for dinner any other old day!! I'm so shitty. I'm used to getting dressed up for Xmas and having a lovely roast, but KEBABS??!!! May as well just have bloody sandwiches!! And we're travelling INTERSTATE for it too, so spending money to visit - and for kebabs??!! AND no wine allowed!!

I do like my sister in-law, but I feel it's a bit oppressive that's all. I mean, you have to let your kids understand that there are others in the world who live different lifestyles. Drinking wine isn't bad at all. Plus, it's not like we would get wasted. Just a few drinks with the meal - what's so bad about that?

I know some strict Christian parents shelter their kids to ridiculous ends! My own parents were like that. They did drink wine though.

Anybody else in the same boat?

Cheers,

Amelia :)

I understand her house her rules, but someone else's house her rules??? :twitch:

When it's time to celebrate at your house I guess it's wine all around like it or not. :wicked:

I say keep a little stashed in the back of the car and run out for a little nip now and then. :)

Good luck.

mwc

Well just fire up a spliff, then.

I don't understand how she can set rules when it is not her house. It seems to me like your in-laws are letting her walk all over them.

Can you maybe go out to eat someplace and have wine, without them around?

This is what I don't like about Christmas: the obligation to visit relatives who you really don't like anyway, and who don't respect you for who you are.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the replies!

I really like my sister in-law, and in fact, I really like all of the in-laws, but I don't like how my sister in-law seems to dictate. Nobody wants to argue with her.

We aren't going to be drinking at her place anyway for Xmas, but at the parents in-law's place, if she is there, we can't drink at all. That's a bit much I think, considering my parents in-law like a drop.

We're staying in a hotel anyway, so not with any of them, which is good.

I really like them, but it's just that whole overbearing Christian way that some Christians have which bugs me.

Cheers,

Amelia :)

Bring some wine anyway. Be sure to bring along some de-alcoholized wine as well. Start off with the de-alcoholized stuff; when Attila the hun starts having a fit, everybody can have a good, hearty laugh at her expense as you point out the fact that there's no alcohol. Tell her she needs to lighten up, THEN bring in the real stuff, pop it open, and say, "Now, this is the stuff you want to get upset about." Let her pop a fuse and let everyone see how ridiculous her beliefs are.

Bring some wine anyway. Be sure to bring along some de-alcoholized wine as well. Start off with the de-alcoholized stuff; when Attila the hun starts having a fit, everybody can have a good, hearty laugh at her expense as you point out the fact that there's no alcohol. Tell her she needs to lighten up, THEN bring in the real stuff, pop it open, and say, "Now, this is the stuff you want to get upset about." Let her pop a fuse and let everyone see how ridiculous her beliefs are.

I LIKE the way DigitalQuirk thinks!

Anyway, I wonder why your SIL is so het up over the drinking of wine, that wonderful substance that is mentioned throughout the bible and so beloved that Jesus manufactured it in mass quantities. You could tell her that by imbibing you are simply following a biblical dictate -- and it evens comes from the New Testament, so even the most fundy should approve:

1 Timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

We're staying in a hotel anyway, so not with any of them, which is good.

Ooooh. Much fun can be had with you and hubby! Bring the wine!!!

Anyway, I wonder why your SIL is so het up over the drinking of wine, that wonderful substance that is mentioned throughout the bible and so beloved that Jesus manufactured it in mass quantities. You could tell her that by imbibing you are simply following a biblical dictate -- and it evens comes from the New Testament, so even the most fundy should approve:

1 Timothy 5:23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Oh no no no no no. That's GRAPE juice they're talking about. NEW wine. Not that fermented old piss water.

:twitch:

Oh no no no no no. That's GRAPE juice they're talking about. NEW wine. Not that fermented old piss water.

:twitch:

But, but ... that would mean that Lot wasn't really drunk when he impregnated his daughters and was just a dirty old man with no excuse. Alas, you have shattered the last illusion. :HaHa:

So a sugar rush is responsible for incest. God doesn't hold Lot & kids responsible.

Ooookayyy.