Goodbye Jesus

Creepy Christmas Cards

The Sage Nabooru

I don't mind simple religious cards - the little cartoony drawings of Mary and baby Jesus and Joseph with sheep wandering around. No, really. I don't mind them, because most of them consist of little more than a lame poem about Savior-God that really aren't all that meaningful, at least to me. It's the messages inside that often bother me.

My grandparents went relatively light this year with a simple "God's blessings" scrawled at the bottom of their card. But the previous two years were a little over the top: One with a Bible verse ("The Lord turns my darkness into light", 2 Samuel 22) and "May God bless you and keep you" written inside by hand (what is this, a funeral?), and, the year after that, "Celebrate the birth of the Christ child." Keep in mind this is all hand-written in ink. That last one's just a bit too.......churchy for my taste.

My overwhelmingly, in fact chokingly, conservative aunt (think somebody who still thinks the Iraqis are in love with Bush), sent us a "Hope you have a blessed holiday" message. Now this in itself isn't bothersome, but they've never really pushed the religion element before. I know my aunt somewhat laughingly and concernedly looks down on my mother for bearing me, a liberal hippie, and perhaps the sight of a multicultural altar in my room with its idols and incense was too much for her to bear. Are we going to get some Christian love-bombing? Have we been given a sign?

My fundamentalist aunt sent us another card with an Old Testament verse that is produced by some company called "The Word of Christmas", with the typical cross-in-a-circle logo. It's the front of this one that bothers me - a gaggle of multicultural children gathered around the infant Jesus and adoring him. Riiiiiight, because we all know that the only way to achieve world peace is to get everybody to follow the One True Religion . Sorry, but perhaps my cultural-anthropological and archaeological leanings make this a bit too much for me.

Then my other grandmother sent us a card made by St. Joseph's Indian School, a South Dakotan institute of shame teaching Lakota Indian Youth about the Superior Religion of the White Man. As you can imagine this is also not biding well with me.

Did anyone else get a creepy Christmas card? One that hints of proselytizing, or that goes just a little too far in the Holy Inspired True Sole Word of God direction?

As for my part, I've let my "Christmas" degenerate into that sort of nondenominational winter celebration holiday of giving that pisses people off so much. I'm sure my non-denom cards (which support UNICEF) are enough to send a few people into alarm.

Did anyone else get a creepy Christmas card? One that hints of proselytizing, or that goes just a little too far in the Holy Inspired True Sole Word of God direction?

Thankfully, NO! I guess out here in Sodom, I mean L.A., it's just not the "in" thing to do. :shrug:

Not this year, but in the process of moving my wife and I found a letter from my turned-religious-late-in-life grandfather that was sent just after we were married that preached about how nice being married is but that in order for it to work, we have to turn our two-some into a three-some.

Of course, he meant letting Jesus into the relationship. I, however, immediately had thoughts of some rather fun threesomes, if you know what I mean. :wicked:

Finding that card reminded me of what I am likely to see and hear this holiday season from those in my family who have neither the inclination nor care to get to know me for who I really am. I fear my going to church with grandfather in order to actually get to spend some time with him might send the wrong message about me getting closer to faith, but I don't care. I'd rather spend time with him in church than not spend time with him at all, even if he has the gall to tell me that even though you can find thousands of contradictions in the Buybull, that every word of it is true.

Oh yeah, I got lots of overly religious cards and holiday letters written on overly religious stationery. Most of the people on my mother's side are fundies. :ugh:

Why do people feel the need to do stuff like that, anyway? It's not like sending anyone a religious card or letter is actually going to convert them or make them believe any more than they do already. None of them know I'm agnostic, I think, but I can only imagine that they would send me even more religious stuff if they knew I was.

Well my loins were girded after the crappy birthday card I got from the religious aunt and uncle last month (talked about it in the Ex-C Life forum).

So when I got their christmas card, I waited until visiting my parents to even open it. Just in case. (I feel pretty damn lucky my folks support ME over a 2000 year old tribal sheep-fuckers fireside legend)

It was religious smoooschee. Sure enough.

The laughable part (glad this card was laughable compared to the birthday card), was that one side of the card handwritten in ink reeeeeeal tiny was what amounted to a complete synopsis of da birth ob Jebuz.

Not offensive per se.....but dang! Like I would waste my time writing Cliff Notes of a mythical "event" that everyone has HEARD about inside a card. A card that....hee hee....depicts said event via the picture on the front!

Dumb.

I got mine today. I almost didn't even open it. The lady that gave it to me is a major fundy - so I knew ahead of time the card was nothing more than an evangelism stab.

Well, I open it anyway. Sure enough. John 3:16.

Yawn.

Into the trash it went.

Nothing like an open excuse to cram your religion down everyone's throats.

It ain't the reason for the season as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, almost every card I've gotten has overly Christian overtones and messages with in it. Like the one sent by my brother saying on the front "Jesus Is The Reason For the Season" then on the inside was a lecture about how those who believe in Jesus will be saved and have eternal life and that it's not too late to come back into the fold; that he knows I still deep down believe. Yeah riiight. My whole family knows I rejected Christianity years ago and should know by know I will never return. The only thing I believe is that they are trying to goad me and harass me with their backwoods religion. I had another relative send me a Christmas card telling me the reason I was turned off of Christianity was because it convicted me due to my sins. Another sent me one, telling me that if I don't accept Jesus I will burn in hell and that they worry about my soul, etc...

Why can't these people just send nice happy cards wishing me a happy holiday or winter?

Did anyone else get a creepy Christmas card? One that hints of proselytizing, or that goes just a little too far in the Holy Inspired True Sole Word of God ™ direction?

Oh, boy did I ever! :twitch:

When I saw the envelope from my fundy aunt, I thought I knew what to expect, so I opened it - ready to disregard the inevitable manger scene, or whatever, on the front and get to the newsletter inside - but what to my wondering eyes did appear? A picture of a red door, surrounded by garland and ribbon that proclaimed "Your Christmas Gift...is waiting inside..." WTF?? is there money inside, or something? Shoulda known better, eh? Inside was a little picture of the babe in the manger (cuddly-cute and naturally, CAUCASIAN) and the printed message "Thanks be to God for His uspeakable gift."

Well, at least we don't need to speak of it! :scratch: And, lucky for her, the newsletter was in there!

Why do people feel the need to do stuff like that, anyway? It's not like sending anyone a religious card or letter is actually going to convert them or make them believe any more than they do already. None of them know I'm agnostic, I think, but I can only imagine that they would send me even more religious stuff if they knew I was.

I don't know, really. But at least I know where she stands! :thanks: A leeeeetle tick closer to the fringe this year, I'd say.

I got a huge white card with some Jesus message written in gold on the front from my relatives in Oregon. All the inside is a short letter of "all the fun" they had all year in church activities, and how much fun my youngest cousin is doing in some Christian college in Canada.

This time my aunt went on to shaming me for "not helping my grandmother out" in a sweet surgary way. Fuck! I got an excuse from jury duty several months ago so I and my mother could move into Grandma's house after my stepgrandpa passed away. Most of my problem is trying to balance my tons of homework as I'm taking my lower division classes at community college so I can transfer to a state university next year ( I feel like saying to my aunt "Try doing all this shit with learning disabilities!" ). My aunt said that we let Grandma make all the meals though most of the time I cook and buy my own food as I'm either at school or work most of the time and pack my meals to go. The problem is my grandmother is one of those stubborn types who wants everything done "her way" so sometimes I give up and say "Ok I'll let you do it", its not like I sit around doing nothing. :twitch:

That side of the family always makes me feel guilty every year for "not being Christian enough" and for not being well off like they are. :(

Well, the one card, from a seriously fundy friend that I expected to be all Jesus, and preachy.... was a glittery blue winter forrest scene, on the inside it read "May the Holiday Season Bring You Peace and Joy" and hand written "Merry Christmas from (names)" :o I have to admit I was kind of shocked. My family... my parents are, um, ... they never went to church, still don't, they will say they believe in God, and are culturally xian, but really they just don't care. My mother never sent xmas cards, when Dad retired he started doing so. Last year I got a card with a scottie on it from their dog. The rest of the extended family are pretty fundish, but... they are all differnt brands, so we don't really talk about religion, we have a 7th day adventist, a lutheran, a couple episcopalian, and a few Saddleback assholes. Honestly with my family THAT'S the worst part, Orange fucking County AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!! Seriously Orange county scares me, especially Irvine, :twitch: it's all the same, it reminds me of that place in the book A Wrinkle in Time. Yuck! All stucco and tile roofs, blonde trendy fuckwads. Shudders. Um ok I went a little off topic sorry.

I didn't get too many overtly religious cards this year. The worst one is from my fundy brother, and says "May the wonder of His love bless you with every good and perfect gift", and the verse "Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us..." (I John 3:1).

The one that sticks in my mind from several years back had the image of a baby's footprint on the front, and a nail-pierced handprint on the inside. I don't remember the words written with the images, but you get the idea; Jesus, born to die for you! Since I was an evangelical at the time, all I thought was "Oh, how meaningful!" Now I think "Oh, vomit!"

Orange fucking County AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!! Seriously Orange county scares me, especially Irvine, :twitch: it's all the same, it reminds me of that place in the book A Wrinkle in Time. Yuck! All stucco and tile roofs, blonde trendy fuckwads. Shudders. Um ok I went a little off topic sorry.

lol! I live in SW Riverside county, which is now pretty much a suburb of the OC. I have a neighbor who has the entire "Left Behind" series of books in hardcover prominently displayed in her family room...

The one that sticks in my mind from several years back had the image of a baby's footprint on the front, and a nail-pierced handprint on the inside. I don't remember the words written with the images, but you get the idea; Jesus, born to die for you! Since I was an evangelical at the time, all I thought was "Oh, how meaningful!" Now I think "Oh, vomit!"

:twitch: Wow, just...wow. I think you win.

:twitch: Wow, just...wow. I think you win.

I just did a web search...you can still buy these cards!

Front Copy:

“Unto you is born this day…

Inside Copy:

… a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.”

Verse: LUKE 2:11

Footprint Handprint Card They don't show the inside picture, though. Dayspring also offers the message on a sweatshirt.

Check out some of the other Christmas cards with a heavy-handed message! Front Copy: Jesus humbled Himself.

He went from commanding angels

to sleeping in the straw.

From holding stars

to clutching Mary’s finger.

The palm that held the universe

took the nail of a soldier.

Why?

Because that’s what love does.

Max Lucado

Inside Copy: The gift of God…

The birth of Christ.

This is Christmas…

This is love.

Blessings to You

Jesus Humbled Himself

Front Copy: Jesus

is the gift

that perfectly fits

the size of every heart.

Inside Copy: May all that He is bring you all that you need at Christmas and throughout the New Year.

Verse: My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. PHILIPPIANS 4:19 KJV

Jesus Is The Gift

Front Copy: Lift your eyes of faith and see

the One who came to set us free.

Inside Copy: Wishing you more of Jesus this Christmas—

His peace, His joy, His life.

Verse: Make Thy face to shine upon Thy servant… PSALM 31:16 KJV

Lift Your Eyes of Faith

You get the idea. There's tons more of them at Dayspring. I remember buying those boxed sets once upon a time. Ugh.

This one takes the cake.

Front Copy: When you get right down to it, the only thing that really matters is...

Inside Copy: Jesus

Verse Now this is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.

JOHN 17:3 NIV

The Story Behind The Card: Thirty five years ago, DaySpring co-founder, Roy Lessin, went to a movie with his brother, Don, a missionary in Mexico. They were less than impressed with the movie. Don made the statement to his brother, “You know, when you get right down to it, the only thing that really matters is Jesus.” DaySpring had never created a card before, but Roy thought this message would work well on a Christmas card. He went back to the office the next day and met with Russ Flint, an artist and also a co-founder of DaySpring. They showed the idea to the other two co-founders, Dean Kerns and Don Leetch. The rest is history. The message launched them into the greeting card business and has encouraged millions of people around the world. We pray you enjoy the 35th Anniversary Edition of this message and that you’ll be encouraged by the simple reminder that “the only thing that really matters is Jesus.”

The Only Thing That Matters Is Jesus

So a bad movie led to the creation of a Christian greeting card company. Does this mean that Christians should be thanking Hollywood instead of condemning it? :HaHa:

The Story Behind The Card: Thirty five years ago, DaySpring co-founder, Roy Lessin, went to a movie with his brother, Don, a missionary in Mexico. They were less than impressed with the movie. Don made the statement to his brother, “You know, when you get right down to it, the only thing that really matters is Jesus.”

:repuke:

I haven't gotten any unusual cards, but one of my grandmas likes to get cards from Guideposts that open up to a manger scene and have verses and the Christmas story and other styles. It doesn't bother me because she's been a Lutheran probably her whole life and I love her. Both of my parents were raised Lutheran and are now fundamentalist Baptist. To their mothers they have left the one true faith they were raised in, so I hope my parents can be understanding of my own questioning of the faith I was raised in--Baptist, even though I was baptized as an infant and in the Lutheran church until I was 6 years old, I remember mostly the Baptist part. However, even if I explain that I, like them, have questioned things I was taught growing up and come to a different conclusion as an adult, they won't really understand how I could doubt the one true faith I was taught.

I'm sorry I got a little off topic, but I was wanting to point out a little of my background. One man at church likes to say that this is the time of year where people are pretty much forced to confront Christ and the gospel message since the Christmas holiday is named for Christ, and therefore we should be even bolder and more willing to witness to unsaved folks and so on. That goes right along with the preachy cards received for Christmas. I remember wanting to make up a cookie plate and put a verse with it for my neighbor, but it seemed so obviously preachy that I don't think I ever did that particular thing. This neighbor has now moved away, but once I invited her to church and asked her if she went somewhere, and she said that she used to go to church. I wonder if some day I could be that person being invited and saying that I used to go to church.

Sparkyone

Someone was asking if their relatives send more preachy cards just because they (writer) have deconverted. It makes sense. My family is not into Christmas cards but they do give birthday cards once in a while. My birthday is in November so it's close to the Christmas season. As I'm reading about cards I keep thinking of the birthday card I got from my sister-in-law. I turned fifty so she made it look like their family was celebrating a special fiftieth birthday with me.

The problem is that this particular brother of mine (along with his wife and kids) barely speak to me. I finally learned to let them go if that is how they want to be. I cannot imagine any other reason for sending me a card this specific birthday except that they wanted to "show their love" for me now that I apostated--trying to bring me back. Had they done it when I turned forty (which was a pretty special landmark for me) I'd have felt much differently because I was still well inside the church. And at that time I was starved for love and acceptance. By now I am in the process of establishing a totally new life for myself. A life that does not include those toxic family relationships.

To the original question, yes I think it may well be that relatives feel obligated to send us especially preachy cards. It's probably the most unobtrusive way they can think of to remind us of our "perilous" situation before god and eternity. (Not to remind us of this would put them in like peril, so they think.) I have no problems with god (either he's in total agreement with me or he doesn't exist)--it's the people who claim to represent him. Needless to say, I did not acknowledge that card.

Guest rumpelstiltskin
I have no problems with god (either he's in total agreement with me or he doesn't exist)--

Wow! Some ego we've got here, Citygirl!!!

My wife and I got one of those "Jesus is the reason for the season" cards from my fundamentalist mother-in-law. (I'm Pagan, my wife is nominally Christian).

I was/am so tempted to send back "The Solstice is the Reason For The Season" and include all the info on how most religions have some sort of festival around this time of year. I figured I'd put in all the similarities between Christianity and Mithraism and Egyptian religion.

My mother-in-law is mostly cool; but sometimes I just want to respond to her syrupy little Christian nonsense.

Check out some of the other Christmas cards with a heavy-handed message! Front Copy: Jesus humbled Himself.

He went from commanding angels

to sleeping in the straw.

From holding stars

to clutching Mary’s finger.

The palm that held the universe

took the nail of a soldier.

Why?

Because that’s what love does.

Max Lucado

Inside Copy: The gift of God…

The birth of Christ.

This is Christmas…

This is love.

Blessings to You

Jesus Humbled Himself

Front Copy: Jesus

is the gift

that perfectly fits

the size of every heart.

Inside Copy: May all that He is bring you all that you need at Christmas and throughout the New Year.

Verse: My God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. PHILIPPIANS 4:19 KJV

Jesus Is The Gift

Front Copy: Lift your eyes of faith and see

the One who came to set us free.

Inside Copy: Wishing you more of Jesus this Christmas—

His peace, His joy, His life.

Verse: Make Thy face to shine upon Thy servant… PSALM 31:16 KJV

Lift Your Eyes of Faith

You get the idea. There's tons more of them at Dayspring. I remember buying those boxed sets once upon a time. Ugh.

This one takes the cake.

Front Copy: When you get right down to it, the only thing that really matters is...

Inside Copy: Jesus

Verse Now this is eternal life: that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom You have sent.

JOHN 17:3 NIV

The Story Behind The Card: Thirty five years ago, DaySpring co-founder, Roy Lessin, went to a movie with his brother, Don, a missionary in Mexico. They were less than impressed with the movie. Don made the statement to his brother, “You know, when you get right down to it, the only thing that really matters is Jesus.” DaySpring had never created a card before, but Roy thought this message would work well on a Christmas card. He went back to the office the next day and met with Russ Flint, an artist and also a co-founder of DaySpring. They showed the idea to the other two co-founders, Dean Kerns and Don Leetch. The rest is history. The message launched them into the greeting card business and has encouraged millions of people around the world. We pray you enjoy the 35th Anniversary Edition of this message and that you’ll be encouraged by the simple reminder that “the only thing that really matters is Jesus.”

The Only Thing That Matters Is Jesus

So a bad movie led to the creation of a Christian greeting card company. Does this mean that Christians should be thanking Hollywood instead of condemning it? :HaHa:

I sure hope my aunt doesn't find out about these, or I'll be seeing them for sure! LOL!!