Goodbye Jesus

Dictionary Is Based On The Bible

Taphophilia

http://www.christiantech.com/

The American Dictionary of the English language is based upon God's written word, for Noah Webster used the Bible as the foundation for his definitions. Hardcover, over 1800 pages.

The dictionary may be able to stop a Scrabble game faster than a trayful of consonants, but isn't this saying a bit much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that a blatant disregard for facts and history isn't a good philosophy for education.

The Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek, while Jesus supposedly spoke Aramaic. Wouldn't it be reasonable that a dictionary would be based on same language sources?

http://www.christiantech.com/

The American Dictionary of the English language is based upon God's written word, for Noah Webster used the Bible as the foundation for his definitions. Hardcover, over 1800 pages.

The dictionary may be able to stop a Scrabble game faster than a trayful of consonants, but isn't this saying a bit much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I would think that a blatant disregard for facts and history isn't a good philosophy for education.

The Bible was written in Hebrew and Greek, while Jesus supposedly spoke Aramaic. Wouldn't it be reasonable that a dictionary would be based on same language sources?

:lmao: Taph... Taph... Taph ... you know they don't give a hoot about concrete facts of anything, be it history, science, whatever. They only care about painting these things in their world view. And obviously their world view stops in the mid 1800s. What's wrong with Webster's 2006 version of the dictionary - no - they order the 1828 version.

Oh... and I love the "GOD BLESS AMERICA". :Wendywhatever:

Like a friend of mine from New Zealand once said, "God HELP America". :ugh:

It IS based on the Bible.....The Guttenberg Bible since they both hapened to have benn made with printed type..... Stretching it, twisting it, Christian style!!!!!

Here's another book on the site:

The Christian Hisoty of the Constitution if the United State of America

$40.00

Volume I

Compiled by Verna M. Hall

Verna Hall's classic compilation of America's establishment as the world's first Christian Constitutional Republic restored to us the Providential approach to history and government.

From this major volume springs the documentation of the Hand of God in the history of men and nations. The Christian idea of man and government traveled westward to America to appear as our American Constitutional Republic.

545 pages, gold-stamped red vellum.

Embossed Paul Revere eagle.

Anyone verify this by looking up a few "dirty" words and seeing what it says? Or seeing what it says about the word "Gay" or "Athiest" for example?

From Wikipedia on Noah Webster:

Webster was a devout Congregationalist. However, his Speller was entirely secular. It ended with two pages of important dates in American history, beginning with Columbus's in 1492 and ending with the battle of Yorktown in 1781. There was no mention of God, the Bible, or sacred events. "Let sacred things be appropriated for sacred purposes," wrote Webster. As Ellis explains, "Webster began to construct a secular catechism to the nation-state. Here was the first appearance of 'civics' in American schoolbooks. In this sense, Webster's speller was the secular successor to The New England Primer with its explicitly biblical injunctions." [Ellis 175]His 1828 American Dictionary contained the greatest number of Biblical definitions given in any reference volume. Webster considered "education useless without the Bible." [Preface to the 1828 edition of Webster's American Dictionary of the English Language]

In my view, the Christian religion is the most important and one of the first things in which all children, under a free government ought to be instructed...No truth is more evident to my mind than that the Christian religion must be the basis of any government intended to secure the rights and privileges of a free people.

Webster released his own edition of the Bible in 1833, called the Common Version. He used the King James Version as a base, and consulted the Hebrew and Greek along with various other versions and commentaries. Webster molded the KJV to correct grammar, replaced words that were no longer used, and did away with words and phrases that could be seen as offensive.

All editions of Webster's Dictionary published in 1913 and earlier, along with the Webster Bible, and Dissertation on the English Language are available in the public domain.

and from the wiki on Webster's Dictionary:

In response to Joseph Worcester's groundbreaking dictionary of 1860, the G. & C. Merriam Company created a significantly revised edition, retaining the title American Dictionary of the English Language and published in . It was edited by Yale University editor Noah Porter1864, containing 114,000 entries. It was sometimes referred to as the Webster-Mahn edition, because it featured revisions by Dr. C. A. F. Mahn, who replaced unsupportable etymologies which had been based on Webster's attempt to conform to Biblical interpretations of the history of language. It was the first edition to largely overhaul Noah Webster's work, and the first to be known as the Unabridged. Later printings added appendices: a Pronouncing Biographical Dictionary in 1879 and a Pronouncing Gazeteer in 1884.

If his dictionary is proof of the greatness of xianity is his bible also used by them as well? For some reason I doubt it. For some reason I imagine they neither know nor care about it as it doesn't support their world view.

Dictionary based on old bible = good.

New bible based on dictionary = bad.

mwc

Noah Webster (1758-1843) was by all accounts a severe, correct, humorless, religious, temperate man who was not easy to like, even by other severe, religious, temperate, humorless people. A provincial schoolteacher and not-very-successful lawyer from Hartford, he was short, pale, smug, and boastful. Where Samuel Johnson spent his free hours drinking and discoursing in the company of other great men, Webster was a charmless loner who critized almost everyone but was himself not above stealing material from others. He credited himself with coining many words, which in fact had been in the language for centuries.

We should not therefore be surprised to read some of his definitions. That great American ideal, freedom, was, among other things, a "violation of the rules of decorum." A Democrat was "a person who attempts an undue opposition or influence over government by means of private clubs, secret intrigues, or by public popular meetings which are extraneous to the Constitution," while a Republican was a "friend of our representative Governments."

His 1828 magnum opus, American Dictionary of the English Language, was the result of decades of work, yet we find not one acknowledgment to his publisher, his proofreader, or his friends. Rather the book is dedicated solely to God. Fair enough, even admirable, at first glance, until you realize God is probably the only one whose material he didn't steal

"The Mother Tounge; English And How It Got That Way Bill Bryson"

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/038...izarrehistorica

About his Bible:

His version retained every incident but changed words ad lib, offering thousands of alterations, every one dedicated to euphemisms and absolute decency. Typical is the story of the self-abusive Onan who, rather than "spill his seed" "frustrates his purpose." Testicles become "peculiar members" and female genitals, and even wombs, are conspicuous only by their absence.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/asin/080...izarrehistorica

What do you expect? They push the myth that America was founded on Xian principles, so this isn't that far off :crazy:

Yep, good old American history, where you can pick and choose the version you want to support your xian values. Nevermind all the other crap that was going on at the exact same time (they certainly never told me about it in school that's for sure).

So why should the dictionary be any different? The Webster's 1828 is the perfect dictionary, the KJV1611 is the perfect bible and some old United States of America was the perfect country. Perfection has been attained in many things and yet we're too dense to see the truth. Oh how I pity us. :ugh:

mwc

Um.. I was unaware that Good Christians™ homeschool their children to give them an education....

LOL...I USED to own that dictionary even as a home educator but it was rarely used because it was a pain in the ass to look things up in, not to mention that the definitions are completely outdated. Even the Sabbath is in the 1828 Webster's seen here

We had the unabridged version which also included root words.

Khan, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Good Christians ™ are indeed giving their children an education, excellant at that. However, they are also getting a biblical education. Sadly, their children are getting misinformation on morality (coming from the bible) and evolution but other than that, those children are doing quite well. My dd's friend's brother is doing Trigonometry at age 15 and has been reading from the classics since beginning home education. These people are total fundies but the academics are outstanding and it is so for most of the Christian home educators that I have ever known and that has been a lot.