Goodbye Jesus

I'm On The Naughty List.

Kurari

I went with friends to church last night. I don't mind going to church or being in a church even though I'm an athiest, and I actually rather like churches at Christmas time for the atmosphere.

So, at one point in the sermon the Preacher says "And we all know that the birth of Jesus's birth and resurrection is one of the most historically documented facts..."

Say what?

I couldn't help myself after that. I went up to the preacher, graciously thanked him for the evening, and asked about what exactly these "facts" are. He started talking about evidence in the Bible and I said: "Well, I know the Bible. That's a given. But where else has Jesus ever been documented? I've never been able to find any other evidence."

Then he starts talking about archeology and all the findings about life in Isreal at the time. So I said, "Yeah, that's cool, but that just tells me about life 2000 years ago in the Middle East. Where is the conclusive proof of Jesus outside of the Bible? Why is it that Pliny and Philo and the other great historians, librarians, and political figures of the time have never mentioned him? Why is it outside of the Bible nobody seems to have heard of him?"

He kind of stared at me and blinked for a few minutes then he went back to pointing to the Bible and Koran as proof and saying something about the oppression of Christians and how it's likely any other documents on them were surpressed....

Um. Right.

Santa still visited me this morning. :woohoo:

K..

Kinda funny, even the most hardcore fundy fails to ask you "What did Jesus bring your for christmas?"...

OBTW, good "badgirl"! :woohoo::dumbo::woohoo:

kevinL

I love it when we can make Fundy's speachless. You go girl!

I wanna be on the naughty list! I wanna be on the naughty list!

Seriously, that was pretty cool.

Kurari said:

Where is the conclusive proof of Jesus outside of the Bible? Why is it that Pliny and Philo and the other great historians, librarians, and political figures of the time have never mentioned him? Why is it outside of the Bible nobody seems to have heard of him?"

He kind of stared at me and blinked for a few minutes then he went back to pointing to the Bible and Koran as proof

I've had that conversation with a few people who really wanted to believe that Jesus existed. One of these was an atheist. He got really upset when I suggested that the evidence doesn't pan out. I forget the details. Maybe it was right after that that I started the thread on Did Jesus Exist.

My prof was also upset that I said in my paper that it is impossible to know whether or not Jesus existed. He refused to listen to my arguments. He told me Tom Harpur is no good. I informed him that I have read other stuff, not just Harper's Pagan Christ. He applauded me for that but did not ask what I read.

QUESTION: If he is so sure that Jesus existed, why was he not interested in these other sources? Why did he not try to refute them, too? Why did he allow me to leave his office without more sources to check out?

That is only one of the "professional" things he didn't do. Professionally, he would have listened to my arguments in order to present other arguments for me to consider. Any serious scholar does that. He does not let students leave his office with an "It's true because I said so." That is so unprofessional that it makes absolutely no sense. The only thing that makes sense to me is that he knew he couldn't "win" in a verbal free-for-all on that topic.

Kurari:

Kick ass!

On a related note, my girlfriend freaks out whenever she knows we're going into a church. And I suppose that's fair; she's seen me in more than few confrontations with believers. To say I go medieval on their asses might be an understatement. Nonetheless, I actually enjoy going into churches. With what I know now, it's fun to catch all of the Pagan symbolism I missed the first time around.

*ahem*

That reminds me of an interesting story I will have to share with y'all about God and the clitoris sometime.

The really funny thing was is that a bunch of people shouted "AMEN!" after he said that Jesus and his resurrection were historically documented facts.

It's a good thing I'm good at doing the wide-eyed innocent and sincere look (well, actually I was being sincere, I wanted to see if he had any real answers!). He didn't seem to know whether to question my faith or what. Most people just assume I'm Christian and don't give me any grief.

Nice work, Kurari :goodjob:

Pity no one else overheard you and went home to eventually question and leave Xianity behind. Now that would've been a good Xmas gift, no? :)

He kind of stared at me and blinked for a few minutes..

...while internally, he saw the flashing on-screen messages "Fatal exception - rebooting in 10, 9, 8..."...

...then he went back to pointing to the Bible and Koran as proof...

...reboot successful, back to where he was before the fatal exception, obviously. :lmao:

Make sure your friends alert you if you become a sermon topic! Or, better yet, if you don't. :HaHa:

That reminds me of an interesting story I will have to share with y'all about God and the clitoris sometime.

And you're just gonna leave us hangin?

Bitch, please!

Make sure your friends alert you if you become a sermon topic! Or, better yet, if you don't. :HaHa:

And you're just gonna leave us hangin?

Bitch, please!

LOL

Ok, here goes.

Recently, the fiance' and I took a trip to the beach (yes, during winter), and visited the historical district. There was an old church there, Methodist, I think, though I would not recommend you make any bets on the denomination. Anyhoo, I went there to visit the graveyard they have outside, where there are several famous historical figures buried. As it turns out, the church does not own or operate the graveyard; the historical society does. Nonetheless, intrigued by the vast size and countless stained glass windows of the church (I do so love the blatant Pagan symbols within them), I decided to take a look inside.

Everyone knows about the Jesus fish. And those of us whom have taken the time to study the Pagan symbolism and history behind every single Christian symbol and legend know what the Jesus fish really is.

:wicked:

Well, the Jesus fish featured in the stained glass windows here was . . . a WEE bit different. And for the life of me, I cn't locate the same symbol anywhere on the wonders of the Internets. What made this Jesus fish so delicious was the inclusion of a circular attachment that flowed (flew?) from the tip of the fish, the body of said fish facing . . . upward.

Yes, you heard me. Do these people never bathe?

Anyway, in rememberance of the original Pagan meaning of the fish, and the inclusion of the clitoris, I did what any fully-grown man with the spirit of a 13-year old would do: I snickered. And then I saw the words inside the juxtaposed clitoris of our savior:

GOD IS LOVE

My, oh, my, was I having a field day. Not merely for the sake of being immature; the sacred feminine is a concept which has always appealed to me, and spirituality through sexuality is also a concept I endorse. Here, beneath the noses of a gathering of old ladies, was both. The appropiateness of it all was mind-numbing.

I stood there for a long while, gazing at the symbol, its words, and its layer upon layer of meanings. When finally the hostess approached me and asked what I was looking at, I was speechless. What would YOU have said? I told here I thought the windows were beautiful, and then went outside to wander amongst the silence of the graves.

It would be great of anyone else knew of this symbol and could find an image of it, because I sure can't.

• 2 weeks later...

RubySera - I wish he had the same mentality as my computer programming professor. He makes us dig for our OWN answers. :)

But then, those that think logically will always do their research and have something more for you to look into.