Goodbye Jesus

Atheism? No Thanks!

Guest Passing Thru

1. I have enjoyed the last couple of days. I have visited several websites and have come to the conclusion that atheists/agnostics/ex Christians are more divided and muddled in their thinking than the Christian Church which you seem to loathe so much.

2. Thirdly, inferred superior knowledge...

3. There is also a pervading attitude...

1. What you have done with this post is best described as Trolling and Baiting. In no way is it Coming To A Conclusion, which would involve objectivity and study. You came here with an attitude and preconceptions, and you still have them.

2. The word you were looking for is "implied."

3. The word you were looking for is "pervasive."

Atheists, Agnostics and Ex-Christians cannot be Divided, as we have never been Together.

What do you really mean by describing our thinking as "muddled"? Just think about it - no need to answer, because we already know that by not being specific you are just Baiting and Trolling.

I agree with Dave. I'll be somewhat surprised if this person comes back.

I only have one simple thought for this OP. Why is it that christians assume that if we don't believe in their god, we don't believe in any god? Silly assumptions.

OK, two thoughts...

We may not agree on everything, but at least we're for the most part agreeable. As a christian I found that disagreement meant heated arguments, gossip, ridicule, and excommunication.

What exactly do you believe in?

As an atheist, I am without belief. Here's why:

1. If I first believe in _____, then ____ exists, I have created _____. Therefore _______ is imaginary, and I have to believe if I want it to exist.

2. If _____ first exists, then I believe in _____, I have not created _____. Therefore ______ is not imaginary, and I don't need to believe if I want it to exist.

First, use "God" to fill in the above blanks. Then use "Peter Pan."

The one thing that seems to unify you all is your antipathy towards anything Christian.

I think we can currently agree on what this site is, but it can be deduced from what you wrote that you may have initially, and incorrectly, thought that ex-christian.net was not opposed to Christianity.

Secondly, is your attitude

Throughout all the sites a lot of people are full of venom and hatred for anything Christian. The sites claim to be dealing with serious issues. The other aspect is the sanctimonious and lofty attitude of many. There is an attitude of intellectual snobbery which permeates the sites. And this is the very attitude many of you accuse the Christian church of having.

The hatred you see on this site is what happens when a Christian finally finds out they spent X-amount of time of their finite life living a lie which they once thought was true, just, and correct.

Thirdly, inferred superior knowledge

There is also a pervading attitude that because many of you know the Bible better than others (Christians included) that somehow that makes you right. This is probably the biggest fault I have with you. Christianity is NOT about head knowledge of the Bible (though the more knowledge the better). Christianity is about knowledge of the God of whom the Bible speaks. This is why many of you miss the target when it comes to arguing with Christians.

Speaking solely for myself, I became apostate via the Socratic Method. This is where I forgo any and all presuppositions and assumptions. The only advantage I have over you is that I am simply aware of my own ignorance.

You may know a lot about the Bible (as an academic exercise) but in my short visit, I haven't met one who knows very much about God. You see, to a Christian who believes in God, God exists. You can't argue with that.

Refer to my initial fill-in-the-blank statement above.

I hope you all find what you're looking for. I have found the truth for me in having a personal relationship with God. I don't need all the religious bit, just God. God bless you

Another assumption on your part that is false is that I'm looking for something, which is an act of acquiring something. It is quite the opposite; I seek to jettison what I once had.

What does your belief do for you?

Can you show me your god?

Anyways, I doubt you will ever reply intelligently. This was more for me to vent.

I have enjoyed the last couple of days. I have visited several websites and have come to the conclusion that atheists/agnostics/ex Christians are more divided and muddled in their thinking

I certainly don't seem muddled in my thinking.

Deconversion has drastically reduced the amount of time I spend involved in conversations with walls.

Here is something that all of us here do agree on:

The premise that everyone must think precisely as I do, or else there will be consequences.

I find it somewhat troubling that so many people spend so much time replying to someone that has no chance of even reading, let alone understanding, their replies.

It goes back to our earlier indoctrinations.

Sometimes the writings are for the mutual edification of our brothers and sisters.

Or, sometimes they are simply carthartic in nature.

Nobody really gives a rats-ass about fundi-boy.

I find it somewhat troubling that so many people spend so much time replying to someone that has no chance of even reading, let alone understanding, their replies.

I think it's two-fold, one to get out frustration, and two for all the lurkers.

Whatever the case, good riddance.

Sometimes the writings are for the mutual edification of our brothers and sisters.

He doesn't care about us, or anyone else. They come here only to make points with their god or so they can brag to other funnymentalists that they came here to convert us and that he made many converts while here.

Funny, Passing Thru, those are some of the reasons we don't want to be Xian.

Xians are often rude and dismissive, and insulting, to non-xians, especially when we rebuff your evangelical advances.

Xians rarely take the time to try and understand the point of view of non-believers, and dismiss them as the teachings of demons when they do.

Xians also assume they have the most superior knowledge because they think a god has given them a special set of rules and favoritism. I've never heard an evangelical Xian claim his or her "knowledge" is equal to that of someone else, or that no matter which religion a person chooses, it's all good if it works for that person. Hardcore Xians, like you, think they are morally superior to everyone else and that all laws should be written in conformity with your religious precepts.

Also, most folks here have had problems with Xianity. Many people here have been hurt by it, have had serious issues with their happiness and mental stability resulting from Xian teachings about eternal torture and a judgemental, omnipresent god. People naturally hate such things, and for you to express wonder that people hate that which has caused them harm only displays your own colossal ignorance and prejudicial mindset.

Furthermore, no one has ever been killed in the name of Atheism, but millions have been killed in the name of Xianity, and millions more today are still threatened into Xianity by the spiritual terrorism of the Hell doctrine.

So, you want us to go back to Xianity? No thanks.

Good riddance.

You took the words right outta my mouth, Dancing Boy.

The one thing that seems to unify you all is your antipathy towards anything Christian. Your intolerance astounds me. But as to what you actually DO believe in, it seems to be a mish mash of just about everything. Some don't believe in God, yet others seek to prove that Jesus was gay. Why would you want to do that if he dosen't exist? Some dispute the authenticity of the Bible, claiming contradictions, etc, yet others cling to so called gospels like Judas or 'secret' Mark in order to justify a particular argument, without a hint of verification. Not much consistency there.

Throughout all the sites a lot of people are full of venom and hatred for anything Christian. The sites claim to be dealing with serious issues. The other aspect is the sanctimonious and lofty attitude of many. There is an attitude of intellectual snobbery which permeates the sites. And this is the very attitude many of you accuse the Christian church of having.

Thirdly, inferred superior knowledge

There is also a pervading attitude that because many of you know the Bible better than others (Christians included) that somehow that makes you right. This is probably the biggest fault I have with you. Christianity is NOT about head knowledge of the Bible (though the more knowledge the better). Christianity is about knowledge of the God of whom the Bible speaks. This is why many of you miss the target when it comes to arguing with Christians. You may know a lot about the Bible (as an academic exercise) but in my short visit, I haven't met one who knows very much about God. You see, to a Christian who believes in God, God exists. You can't argue with that.

I hope you all find what you're looking for. I have found the truth for me in having a personal relationship with God. I don't need all the religious bit, just God. God bless you

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Christianity, if false, is of no importance, and if true, of infinite importance. The only thing it cannot be is moderately important - CS Lewis

Wow, friendly aren't you? Why do you make this silly assumption that we have to be united in our views? Isn't that more a reflection of your top down, "God tells us what to think" approach? We are a community of human beings showing that we can get along with each other without needing to be a homogeneous, white-bread sort of, same-speak group. I consider our ability to do that considerably more powerful than all talking the same Christianese tripe.

Good luck to you with your narrow mind.

Bye.

You came here. You dont like our attitude then leave. You know where the door is. Dont just come in to bitch about us. You believe something so incredibally stupid and we see the stupidity for what it is. You came here, seeing something you dont like here is your fault. Dont let the door hit your inflated ass on the way out.

We are a community of human beings showing that we can get along with each other without needing to be a homogeneous, white-bread sort of, same-speak group.

Antlerman, thanks for showing me how to spell homogeneous! I guess I'll have to edit my post now.

But it is the truth; why do we need to be "united" like a bunch of sheep baa-ing for the shepherd?

Yes, we are united in our dislike and opposition to fundamentalist Xianity. It's a board of ex-xians, so it makes sense that we are united against Xiantiy.

Otherwise, we're all humans, naturally diverse and unique.

Fundy Xians just can't understand diversity, uniqueness, independence, individualism, or anything remotely resembling freedom. No wonder, for their religion demands sameness, conformity, and blind faith.

I have enjoyed the last couple of days. I have visited several websites and have come to the conclusion that atheists/agnostics/ex Christians are more divided and muddled in their thinking than the Christian Church which you seem to loathe so much.
Who said we have to have the same thinking? The only thing required to be an atheist is a lack of the belief that gods exist. All atheists are united in that thinking. If we weren't, we wouldn't be atheists. As for ex-christians, the only prerequisite to have been a Christian in the past, but are no longer a Christian. It doesn't take much united thinking. We aren't even a united group. We just are.

Reality

The one thing that seems to unify you all is your antipathy towards anything Christian.
I wonder why...maybe it is because this is EX-CHRISTIAN.net. But, I could be wrong about that.

Your intolerance astounds me. But as to what you actually DO believe in, it seems to be a mish mash of just about everything. Some don't believe in God, yet others seek to prove that Jesus was gay.
See above.

Some dispute the authenticity of the Bible, claiming contradictions, etc, yet others cling to so called gospels like Judas or 'secret' Mark in order to justify a particular argument, without a hint of verification. Not much consistency there.
One does not necessarily need to believe theology to debate it.

This is due to a few reasons. One of the major ones is that anger is one of the five stages of grief. Think about it. God was closer to us than any best friend or girlfriend or family member. God was our lives. Then it happened. We didn't lose God, he wasn't kidnapped, he didn't die-worse; he never existed. Don't you think that is reason enough to go through the stages of grief.

Another is the major misconceptions about atheism. This in conjunction with us being the most hated minority in America can be quite perturbing.

I have enjoyed the last couple of days. I have visited several websites and have come to the conclusion that atheists/agnostics/ex Christians are more divided and muddled in their thinking than the Christian Church which you seem to loathe so much.
Who said we have to have the same thinking? The only thing required to be an atheist is a lack of the belief that gods exist. All atheists are united in that thinking. If we weren't, we wouldn't be atheists. As for ex-christians, the only prerequisite to have been a Christian in the past, but are no longer a Christian. It doesn't take much united thinking. We aren't even a united group. We just are.

Reality

I wonder why...maybe it is because this is EX-CHRISTIAN.net. But, I could be wrong about that.

Your intolerance astounds me. But as to what you actually DO believe in, it seems to be a mish mash of just about everything. Some don't believe in God, yet others seek to prove that Jesus was gay.
See above.

Some dispute the authenticity of the Bible, claiming contradictions, etc, yet others cling to so called gospels like Judas or 'secret' Mark in order to justify a particular argument, without a hint of verification. Not much consistency there.
One does not necessarily need to believe theology to debate it.

This is due to a few reasons. One of the major ones is that anger is one of the five stages of grief. Think about it. God was closer to us than any best friend or girlfriend or family member. God was our lives. Then it happened. We didn't lose God, he wasn't kidnapped, he didn't die-worse; he never existed. Don't you think that is reason enough to go through the stages of grief.

Another is the major misconceptions about atheism. This in conjunction with us being the most hated minority in America can be quite perturbing.