Wierd Things Pastors Do

southdakota2005

When I was at my last Church which was very Fundalmentalist, I remember my Pastor telling a story about a Church member that had left and had gotten into sin (so he said). The Pastor said during a sermon that he prayed that the man would die and based it on what the Apostle Paul said about turning someone over to the devil so his spirit could be saved. The Pastor complained that the man never died until one day he met him and found that he no longer believed in God. The Pator then said in his sermon "that's why God didn't kill him when I prayed! He was never a Christian".

I have to admit that sent shivers up my spine as I realized that if I ever got myself into some sin then I could expect the Pastor to be praying for my death. Of course being out of the faith I no longer fear things like that but when you are in the Fundalmentalist movement, it really is like a cult.

That's really disturbing.

I think that pastor had the Hollywood Voodoo style version of christianity going. I can't believe he said that to his congregation! Did they just smile and nod, or did they looked as shocked as you?

I think even if I'd still been a christian sitting in a service and the minister said something like that, not only would it have shocked me...I would have gotten right up and walked out the door in the middle of the sermon!

That is just wrong in too many ways.

When I was at my last Church which was very Fundalmentalist, I remember my Pastor telling a story about a Church member that had left and had gotten into sin (so he said). The Pastor said during a sermon that he prayed that the man would die and based it on what the Apostle Paul said about turning someone over to the devil so his spirit could be saved. The Pastor complained that the man never died until one day he met him and found that he no longer believed in God. The Pator then said in his sermon "that's why God didn't kill him when I prayed! He was never a Christian".

I have to admit that sent shivers up my spine as I realized that if I ever got myself into some sin then I could expect the Pastor to be praying for my death. Of course being out of the faith I no longer fear things like that but when you are in the Fundalmentalist movement, it really is like a cult.

I think we should all go and beat his ass senseless. What a stupid freak! Just shows, ANYONE can be a Christian and a pastor!

Shawn

I rue the day I meet someone from my christian past who would tell me that I was never a christian. I reckon I'd do something a lot more wierd than this pastor. I fear I may even answer his prayer, but with a slightly different result.

Praying for someone to die? Why? Where's that in the bible? So much for the right to life, huh? Yet another clear demonstration of why I now do my best to steer clear of christianity.

Well I do believe that in some ways, Christianity has good moral standards to live by, but there is also the other side of the coin where people act like complete fuckers, all in the name of God and the bible. This case you've mentioned is an ideal example of brainwashing.

Did make me laugh a tiny bit, tho.

Preaching about wanting someone dead--isn't that illegal? It would certainly come across as hate-mongering of some sort. Not that xians necessarily live by the law of the land.

That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard. When I was still a christian I never heard about a pastor praying for someone to die. Mind you, it's not a good message to send out. It's almost as if they're saying "If you leave the cult, we want to see you killed". Of course saying the prayer wasn't answered is a sign that a person wasn't a christian is just stupid. That's the kind of thinking that I find twisted.

Reading what everyone has said, I didn't realize how shocking it was for others. I was upset by it but that was the type of enviornment it was. You didn't question the Pastor. This Church is in Katy Texas near Houston and was very conservative. When the Pastor made that remark the people in the pews didn't laugh, or say anything.

I am so glad to be out of th entire mess now.