Goodbye Jesus

Wives As Possessions

sparkyone

I was looking at a few articles at a site managed by a guy named Gus, called olivecandle or something like that and one topic was about divorced women. I thought it was humorous at first but then he starts saying that a wife is the possession of her husband and the children are also his and all this crap. I've read some other stuff he's written, but it's so wierd the way he writes. I was raised in an extremely (IMHO) fundamentalist Baptist church and I don't remember hearing that sort of thing. Maybe I did, but didn't take it seriously. I'm just creeped out by what this guy writes. He's been posting in a group for former fundies where I'm a member and he's like the worst of them himself. I'm sure I barely scratched the surface of the absurdities he believes. Gag, gag, gag...

Bleh

Sparkyone

My father is atheist and has a very hard time living with the fact that my mother and brother and I could possibly be unwilling to be his personal human possessions, to be commanded as pleased.

For a lot of people it's just the selfish greed and Small Man Syndrome talking.

Why would any sane man want to own a woman?

I mean other than plain ignorance.

Women leak, You do. You leak as bad as any vintage motorcycle.

I didnt inherit this carpet for a 1966 harley davidson FLH to leave puddles all over it. (ummmmm did that make any sense)

Women redecorate, Yes I like my home exactly the way it is. The clean laundry pile is always against the north wall. And a shredded battle flag is a perfectly good curtain for my window.

Women think, I dont want thinking, I want drunken idiocy. Thinking leads to advanced planning, which leads to organization, which leads to stability.

I WANT MY CHAOS!!!

Women argue, They wont let me always be right. WHAHHHHHH

Why would any sane man want to own a woman?

I mean other than plain ignorance.

Women leak, You do. You leak as bad as any vintage motorcycle.

I didnt inherit this carpet for a 1966 harley davidson FLH to leave puddles all over it. (ummmmm did that make any sense)

Women redecorate, Yes I like my home exactly the way it is. The clean laundry pile is always against the north wall. And a shredded battle flag is a perfectly good curtain for my window.

Women think, I dont want thinking, I want drunken idiocy. Thinking leads to advanced planning, which leads to organization, which leads to stability.

I WANT MY CHAOS!!!

Women argue, They wont let me always be right. WHAHHHHHH

Hey, you forgot to mention that women can be very expensive to maintain (just like your motorcycle?) and you're totally right about some women arguing. I used to be the kind that would let everybody else be right. Not anymore. The thing is, women also cook and clean and pay bills and raise the kids, etc. Of course, if you don't have kids, that's not an issue. Oh, was your post supposed to be a little sarcastic or just your way of looking at the fairer sex?

Sparkyone

My father is atheist and has a very hard time living with the fact that my mother and brother and I could possibly be unwilling to be his personal human possessions, to be commanded as pleased.

For a lot of people it's just the selfish greed and Small Man Syndrome talking.

Yeah, my dad isn't religious either and he is SO dissapointed that I'm not somebody's little pretty-in-pink, dress wearing, wifey and mommy. He gets disconcerted with the way I talk...you know, like I'm an equal or something. He keeps asking if I have a boyfriend yet and if I'm a feminist (I still have no idea what he thinks a feminist is).

Old world European man there. Think I'll just forgo telling him I got my tubes tied at 24 and I've had affairs with several women.

My father who is a fundie pastor (who I have NO relationship with whatsoever - I cut him and all the biological family out of my life) told me that wives are the possessions of their husbands and that they can demand sex anytime and the wife has to give it.

He always said there is no such thing as rape in marriage and that children have absolutely no rights, so can be belted, etc if the father deems it necessary. He used to hit me for the smallest thing because I was a girl, and he wouldn't be showed up by a female. My brother got away with it all, and went out whenever he wanted. I on the other hand was locked up at home, never allowed out for fear I'd fuck around with a boy. Like I'd do that - after all the only male in my life would hit me and I'd cover every inch of my body up! BASTARD - CAN'T STAND HIM!!! He used to slap and belt me until I left home at 22 to get married.

He hits kids at church as well apparently. A kid with Down Sydnrome was hit by him for "showing disrespect to me". This was long after I left home.

Can't stand the bastard!

Needless to say I am now happily married, out of Christianity and enjoying a lovely life. My husband and I are equal, and there is no male ordering around and domination - unlike the home I grew up in where my mother was the mouse and my younger brother did as he was told. The house where my father would go into a rage for a week if somebody in the church 'wasn't living their life right' (e.g. letting their kids drink, or living with somebody they weren't married to).

For fuck's sake these people need to get a life.

Amelia

Yeah, my dad isn't religious either and he is SO dissapointed that I'm not somebody's little pretty-in-pink, dress wearing, wifey and mommy. He gets disconcerted with the way I talk...you know, like I'm an equal or something. He keeps asking if I have a boyfriend yet and if I'm a feminist (I still have no idea what he thinks a feminist is).

Old world European man there. Think I'll just forgo telling him I got my tubes tied at 24 and I've had affairs with several women.

My dad is just one of those guys, who, in the entire 22 years I have known him, has ever referred to a woman as a "woman". It's either "gal", "chick" or "broad". I've been accused of exaggeration but I am being totally honest when I say I have never in my life heard or can recall him ever calling a woman any other thing.

He just thinks women are inherently stupid, brainless, and incapable of logical thinking or purposeful life. Feminism is to him just proof of how broads let their hormones make them crazy for no good reason. He has, in the past, advocated the position that women should be unallowed to drive and unallowed to vote because of their overemotionality and essential incomprehension of real issues, or anything beyond CoverGirls' eyeshadow line. He resolutely refuses to vote for Hilary Clinton or Missouri's new senator, Claire McCaskill (who won anyway - ha!), not for their political positions, their behavior, or their beliefs, but because of their vaginas.

As far as he's concerned, women should be seen and not heard, and when told to shut up should do so without question. These laws of his, especially that last one, have led to more than a few altercations between him and me.

His mother (my grandmother) was sexist against her own sex, and my grandfather supported that position. She also spoiled her precious firstborn baby boy shitless, which made his height of 5'6" all the more unbearable for him.

Is this what you are talking about Sparky?

http://www.olivecandlevoice.com/180.html

:repuke:

yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. Have you read any of that stuff?

Sparkyone

No....I went hunting for it based on what you said. I've browsed that site a bit today. Nauseating. Total Biblical Literalist. Not someone who would have a problem with God killing newborns "just because" either.

Sicko.

Hullo Sparkyone,

effing right I'm being sarcastic.

Actualy I would love to find a woman who would move in and help me pick out decent curtains.

Hullo Sparkyone,

Actualy I would love to find a woman who would move in and help me pick out decent curtains.

I use tinfoil.

Hullo Sparkyone,

I use tinfoil.

Paper grocery bags. They let a soft, muted light into the room that is quite romantic. Secure with duct tape.