Goodbye Jesus

Compare And Contrast Between Christianity And Shamanism

Shaman

We hmong shamanist do a traditional cultural act that involves a hmong shaman put a black mask on and he goes into a trance state while jumping on a table. He then goes into the other world to contact the spirit of a love one.

Some say that this act is similar to what them Christian are doing and that is to believe in a holy spirit.

What is your opinion on this?

We hmong shamanist do a traditional cultural act that involves a hmong shaman put a black mask on and he goes into a trance state while jumping on a table. He then goes into the other world to contact the spirit of a love one.

Some say that this act is similar to what them Christian are doing and that is to believe in a holy spirit.

What is your opinion on this?

My opinion is that it's all a bunch of bullshit.

Besides that, I seriously doubt you are a real shaman anyways. Have you come back from death yet?

Christians do not believe in contacting dead spirits, it is a big no-no. The only "trance like state" Christians go into can be seen during the worship service of any church. However, many claim to be *holy spirit filled* and will speak incoherent babble (tongues), or make prophetic statements.

The next question is, do we fucking care?

Sorry, Mr. ShamanWannabe pissed me off this morning with his trying to tell Amelia that she has an obligation to subject herself to her abusive family -- and used christian ideology to do it on top of that. So he's currently on my "FUCK YOU" list.

I've been googling and wiki -ing shamanism since you arrived. Could you be more specific as to which culture's shamanism you practice? Is it Asian or North American based?

I've been googling and wiki -ing shamanism since you arrived. Could you be more specific as to which culture's shamanism you practice? Is it Asian or North American based?

Bullshit based would be my guess.

Shamanism etc. was the small scale beginings of religion, with each grouping developing its own versions of what, why and how the world is. Christianity is the more evolved form, far better at convincing people of its authenticity. Of course there are similarities as current religious systems is based on past religious systems. I would think the origonal creators would, I'm afraid, be the thinkers of the tribe. Those who were less strong fast etc. would have worked out that they were heading for the bottom of the tribal food chain, where food is scarce and mates, scarcer. How do I regain status? come up with the most convincing idea about what the world is and how it got here and preach. Of course the god/gods/spirits etc. only talk to the newly appointed priest, so suddenly he goes from bottom of the pile to top dog. Hello, food and women.

Oh, come on guys... he's from another culture, one that values family much more than we do. He may not fully grasp what is going on with Amelia. He seems sincere to me.

http://www.parkridgecenter.org/Page457.html <-- article on Hmong people

Shaman, I remember reading a bit about Asian fold religion and the Hmong people in my religious studies during college (I was a religion major). While I am not sure spirits rule the earth, I find that shamanism is a culturally rich and beautiful philosophy. Welcome to the site!

Shamanism etc. was the small scale beginings of religion, with each grouping developing its own versions of what, why and how the world is. Christianity is the more evolved form, far better at convincing people of its authenticity. Of course there are similarities as current religious systems is based on past religious systems. I would think the origonal creators would, I'm afraid, be the thinkers of the tribe. Those who were less strong fast etc. would have worked out that they were heading for the bottom of the tribal food chain, where food is scarce and mates, scarcer. How do I regain status? come up with the most convincing idea about what the world is and how it got here and preach. Of course the god/gods/spirits etc. only talk to the newly appointed priest, so suddenly he goes from bottom of the pile to top dog. Hello, food and women.

This may describe the evolution of religion, but I do not think it does justice to how Shaman himself might view his beliefs. I don't believe that people just decided to manipulate their tribesman... I think that some people had a mystical experience (near death experience, certain types of epilepsy) that convinced them that they had a reason to be spiritual. In a period of time without science, could you blame them?

From what I understand, his type of Shamanism may be very similar to Native American religion.

Oh, come on guys... he's from another culture, one that values family much more than we do. He may not fully grasp what is going on with Amelia. He seems sincere to me.

http://www.parkridgecenter.org/Page457.html <-- article on Hmong people

Shaman, I remember reading a bit about Asian fold religion and the Hmong people in my religious studies during college (I was a religion major). While I am not sure spirits rule the earth, I find that shamanism is a culturally rich and beautiful philosophy. Welcome to the site!

Ah. That answers my question. Asian. Now I can do proper research without getting things mixed with Native North American beleifs.

This may describe the evolution of religion, but I do not think it does justice to how Shaman himself might view his beliefs. I don't believe that people just decided to manipulate their tribesman... I think that some people had a mystical experience (near death experience, certain types of epilepsy) that convinced them that they had a reason to be spiritual. In a period of time without science, could you blame them?

From what I understand, his type of Shamanism may be very similar to Native American religion.

Sorry, but I disagree. But I'll tell you what, I'll leave him alone for now and just watch him self destruct. I'm certain he will do so quite easily without my help.

Okay, my theories on cultural evolution aside, welcome to the site. I find everything in the world rather intriguing and so I am happy to hear about your culture etc. As said before, if you have evidense for your religious beleifs then I may even be converted. Have fun on the boards.

I don't believe in either religion. But, again, that is not a threat to you personally. I don't understand why you seem so concerned about what other people think of your religion. Perhaps you could try to enlighten us as to why you seem to think we are some kind of threat to you or something.

The next question is, do we fucking care?

Sorry, Mr. ShamanWannabe pissed me off this morning with his trying to tell Amelia that she has an obligation to subject herself to her abusive family -- and used christian ideology to do it on top of that. So he's currently on my "FUCK YOU" list.

The Asians are heavily family based, esp. from China and the surrounding region. Still is bullshit; a family member fucks me over and they are dead meat, I don't care who or what says otherwise.

I've read most of his posts and I agree with you, sounds like a 'harry potter' reject of animism and a social misfit to boot.

Shawn

Shamanism of many varied forms is found the world over; I have studied a few different forms of it, mostly some varied Slavic forms, and it is strongly steeped in Paganism and, now, environmentalism.

I find no harm or threat in Shamanism, and it's certainly not something with any real capacity to harm people if it becomes widespread. It's not dogmatic - it's not really even a religion for the most part. The worst thing that can happen is someone makes himself or herself look like a fool if they don't perform correctly.

When I left Xianity, I learned a lot about my prejudices towards other religions. I've since tried to open up to learning from other beliefs, and to leave the hatemongering back in my old church.

With that, I welcome the newbie :wave: