Goodbye Jesus

Bestbuy Employees

white_raven23

Okay take two.....seem to be some server problems bugging up the works. So let's try again.

*ahem*

So I go to Bestbuy to buy an ipod Shuffle.

That's the player that's smaller than a pack of matches. The packaging it comes in is smaller than the packaging for a good "disposable" razor. There is NO relevant information on the front of the packaging.

These are important details relevant to my complaint on the idiocy I just experienced.

I'm very glad I researched this product online before I went to the store. Else I would have been at the mercy of this twit.

I go in, tell the girl I want an ipod Shuffle. She sighs. I'm making her work. I'm already thrilled. She walks over to the glass case and languidly gestures and says "There they are."

I stand there.

She stands there.

She's not opening the case.

Several IQ dropping moments go by.

I look at her oddly and ask, "So.....can I get one?"

NOW she moves to open the case! She seems surprised that I'm not just satisfied to look at the featureless packaging through the glass! As if that would have helped me make up my mind if it hadn't already been made up!

Now....the customer service was dumb enough....but it makes me wonder.....do people actually walk in there and stare at the INFO-LESS front of the packaging through the glass as they decide whether or not to buy the damn thing?!!

I fear they do.

We must find these people.

Find them and prevent them from tainting the gene pool.

Heh.

Oddly enough, I was just there to pick up a BestBuy.com order I had sent to the store. It took them an ungodly amount of time to find my package, but they did eventually find it.

They definitely are not hired for their intellect or character. She probably wanted to go back and flirt with Tommy in the Home Theater section. ;-)

Shawn

They definitely are not hired for their intellect or character. She probably wanted to go back and flirt with Tommy in the Home Theater section. ;-)

Shawn

Hey be nice to people in retail, I had the unfortuneate experience of doing 3 1/2 years at wal-mart. They just like you have bad days, and trying to feign superficial happieness for 8 hours straight is sometimes impossible. I know its her job, but there is only so much managerial corporate propagandis bull shit, not to mention stupid customers (not saying you were one, its rare that they can even read the package) that a person can take before they become homicidal.

The last part of your post made me laugh, White Raven. Unfortunately there are people out there who just stare at products through the glass trying to pick out one to buy; I've seen this before with video games. Some of the employees (at Wal-Mart) couldn't understand why I would want them to take the games out from behind the glass so I could read the backs.

If I couldn't read the backs, I'd probably never buy a game, except for reading reviews about it. It's like a book to me. I have to read the back.

My wife worked at Best Buy for a little while before we moved. The management really loved her, partially just because she was polite and attentive. Granted, it was in NJ, where politness isn't exactly common, but she made an impression just by being a nice and helpful employee - in a place where she could vouch there were many dumbasses to be found.

My wife worked at Best Buy for a little while before we moved. The management really loved her, partially just because she was polite and attentive. Granted, it was in NJ, where politness isn't exactly common, but she made an impression just by being a nice and helpful employee - in a place where she could vouch there were many dumbasses to be found.

Depends on what part of NJ you lived in. The difference between North Jersey and South/Central Jersey is like the difference between the North and South of the US. Even down to the accents. Add to that, that there's some "good" and "bad" areas of the State and well... you get the idea.

I live in a resort town in the more Southernly part of Jersey (down on the Shore). The local workers are generally nice and laidback here. It's the tourists (either from up North or from New York) that are usually pricks. And a few ornery old folks. A nice customer will generally receive some good help in the stores here.

As a retail worker, I have to deal with too many people who do "the stare." It doesn't sound like you did this since you apparently said you wanted one, but people will actually walk in and just stare, and some will give a one word response when you ask what you can help them with. In fact tonight we were talking about this at work, and apparently some guy who need to look at the phone book would just say, "White pages." That's it. WTF? I think that these are the real morons who need to be removed from the gene pool. Oh, and I might explode if one more person asks me what kind of ink the computer they are buying takes. I feel like telling them they don't deserve the PC I've selected for them (it's not like they know enough to know what they are looking for). People are fucking retarded. That's why they don't need to really look at it, they don't know what they are looking for anyway.

Depends on what part of NJ you lived in. The difference between North Jersey and South/Central Jersey is like the difference between the North and South of the US. Even down to the accents. Add to that, that there's some "good" and "bad" areas of the State and well... you get the idea.

I live in a resort town in the more Southernly part of Jersey (down on the Shore). The local workers are generally nice and laidback here. It's the tourists (either from up North or from New York) that are usually pricks. And a few ornery old folks. A nice customer will generally receive some good help in the stores here.

Yeah, the North is really shitty. Far more overcrowded than the South, and especially with the seepage from NYC. It smells, it's noisy, and everytime I've been there has been generally unpleasant. People don't shit ice cream just because they live in the shadow of New York :rolleyes:

The only time I didn't mind going up north was when I drove to North Bergen everyday, but that was because I was paid by the hour and getting stuck in traffic only helped fatten my paycheck :)

Otherwise, the south is generally better, but not completely. Such as Camden - when is someone going to flush that toilet already? Princeton was always my favorite place to go; I used to visit and just walk around, especially in spring.

But for me, I lived in Trenton for 27 years. 'Nuff said :HaHa:

My local Best has a mix of "WhatChooSayWills??" sorts and then the competent tall gal in cameras. Miranda has always has answers for my questions, and been able to show me through the stock on hand like she has handled it and taken time to know what does what and goes where.

Bought my last three digicams from Best, last two from Miranda's advise. Lady is 19, tall and plain, and a mighty fine Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual on what she has for sale. I go in having an idea of what in specifications needed, and how much to spend. She's fit me with the cameras that work great for a non-photographer.

Now the gents in the computers and accessories/parts areas? man those kids are fresh from Pushy School and end up turning me as a consumer off with the "Ya needs ta buy MORE!"...

Overall, I find as I get older and my mind grows more made up, I'm a harder sell than the kid with a pocket fulla dinero waiting to help bouy the Bush wartime economy...

kFL

Yeah, the North is really shitty. Far more overcrowded than the South, and especially with the seepage from NYC. It smells, it's noisy, and everytime I've been there has been generally unpleasant. People don't shit ice cream just because they live in the shadow of New York :rolleyes:

The only time I didn't mind going up north was when I drove to North Bergen everyday, but that was because I was paid by the hour and getting stuck in traffic only helped fatten my paycheck :)

LOL! I've lived in this state all my life. Believe me, I feel your pain on that!

Otherwise, the south is generally better, but not completely. Such as Camden - when is someone going to flush that toilet already? Princeton was always my favorite place to go; I used to visit and just walk around, especially in spring.
IMO, the best parts are in Monmouth and Ocean counties (and I'm not just saying that 'cos I live in the area). Monmouth has some beautiful farmland, and the Shore in the Ocean country area is well-kept. Good areas to raise a family, if you're the type who likes kids. Although, I'd definitely stay away from Asbury Park. Drive-bys are pretty common there. You couldn't pay me enough to take a stroll in Asbury.

But for me, I lived in Trenton for 27 years. 'Nuff said :HaHa:

Hah!

But anyway, we're derailing White Raven's thread. So, umm..... yeah. What she said. :P

My local Best has a mix of "WhatChooSayWills??" sorts and then the competent tall gal in cameras. Miranda has always has answers for my questions, and been able to show me through the stock on hand like she has handled it and taken time to know what does what and goes where.

Bought my last three digicams from Best, last two from Miranda's advise. Lady is 19, tall and plain, and a mighty fine Reasonably Knowledgeable Individual on what she has for sale. I go in having an idea of what in specifications needed, and how much to spend. She's fit me with the cameras that work great for a non-photographer.

Now the gents in the computers and accessories/parts areas? man those kids are fresh from Pushy School and end up turning me as a consumer off with the "Ya needs ta buy MORE!"...

Overall, I find as I get older and my mind grows more made up, I'm a harder sell than the kid with a pocket fulla dinero waiting to help bouy the Bush wartime economy...

kFL

LOL!!! EXACTLY!!!

Shawn :)

Ouch, my son works for BestBuy in computers.

The employees do not work on commission, but they are required to push several options such as Geek Squad Service along with various internet provider services. If they don't they are written up. After being written up a certain number of times you are fired.

As for the staring at something, people actually do and while they are staring at whatever trying to make up their mind they expect the employee to remain with them. Meanwhile other customers who need attention are standing around.

Also, his supervisors aren't exactly the smartest. Christmas Eve the store was scheduled to close at 5:00. There were 3 employees working in the computer department, my son, his supervisor and another employee. My son was to get off work at 4:30. At 4:25 his supervisor came to him and asked him to work 5 more minutes and then proceded to leave for the day! My son work until 10 until 5:00 (20 additional minutes) because the department was swamped and people were still coming in to shop.

My son is not dumb, he is polite, attentive and very knowledgable about computers, he knows both the IT and IS side of computers. At 17 he already had his CISCO certification, knows C++, knows web design and various other computer related programming. His computer would be considered to be PIMPed because of all the hardward and software he has installed and would put most computers to shame. When friends have problems with their computers he is the one they call on to fix? Why is he working at BestBuy, because he is 18, in college and he needs to earn money to pay for it.

Just like in any profession, a few bad apples....

Thanks for enlightening me. I keep meeting Americans who say Canadians are so NICE! I never know what to make of it because we're just us.

About customers just staring through the glass and picking one--I used to ask myself why I can't make up my mind like most people seemingly can. Now I know why. I won't "buy blind." I've also wondered why so many people constantly complain about their purchases. I try to evaluate all the strengths and weaknesses against my needs and base my decision on that. I can see that buying an item via "the stare" would lead to such complaints. And yes, I certainly do expect the clerk to know something about the stuff he/she is selling. I've walked out of stores without buying because they didn't know a thing and seemed not to care either. In some places, they will refer you to a more knowledgeable person.

Thanks for enlightening me. I keep meeting Americans who say Canadians are so NICE! I never know what to make of it because we're just us.

Well, I found, on my visit to Montreal back in '01, that the locals were very laidback. The store clerks never pressured anybody into buying things or had a sales pitch, and people would just come up and talk to you or wave hello from across the street like they knew you. Lots of friendly, helpful people and some very clean streets. Some lovely accents there too.

Despite my laidback small-town ways, I found that I actually move quicker than the Montreal locals do, like they never rush. It was a very interesting experience. Now, I'm pretty sure Canada has its bad spots too, but I was left with a good impression of your country based on my visit there.

A lot of people, I'm sure, have a similar experience in the country and are unable to articulate as well, so they use the all-purpose verb of "nice".

As for the staring at something, people actually do and while they are staring at whatever trying to make up their mind they expect the employee to remain with them. Meanwhile other customers who need attention are standing around.

Hmm... Maybe that glass box isn't such a good business strategy.

1-2 averted shoplifting incidents per day

60-70 missed sales opportunities per day

= Opportunity for competition who thinks slightly outside the box

Yes.....WR is soooo EBIL for expecting this girl to have more than one brain cell to rub together.

*sigh*

I have a friend who works at the Geek Squad at the same Best Buy. He is not a moron. My critique of this girl was not meant to be applied to every bloody Bestbuy employee in existence, or even every retail clerk on the planet (I was one too at one time).

Saying these retail clerks have sooo many expectations on them, and they are required to do sooo much..... :Wendywhatever:

Come on! I'm talking about this...one...girl. Her entire department was the wireless/mp3/pda section. And I didn't expect her to know about the damn product! This is why I put the description into my post that I did.

Now as a competent intelligent human being, if I have the keys to the glass case, and I look at the product in question through the glass myself.....and can SEE that there is no viable info, and seeing as I'll be standing there anyway......

I'm going to unlock the case and hand one of the product to the customer to look at! Maybe even so they can...I dunno....flip the case over so they can read the info on the back!

I didn't expect her to be supahsmart! I wanted basic common sense.

And then there is the message of language. When she asked if she could help me, I told her I wanted to get an ipod Shuffle.

I did not say I wanted to look at an ipod shuffle. I said I wanted to get one. World of difference between "look" and "get". Anyone with basic communication skills can differentiate the desired intent behind those two words.

Telling her right up front that I was there to get one should not have resulted in the scenario that took place. That is....if she'd been listening. A skill that has be at the very bottom of the job requirement. The least of what an employee should be able to do.

And NO I don't extend my opinion of this twit to the rest of the Bestbuy employees! That would be moronic.

I work at Best Buy....but I do Geek Squad. The OP situation is strange because at our store the iPod Shuffles aren't in any cases. I would have to say that if a customer came in and asked about a specific product, I would wait til they asked to buy it because when you ask for soemthing specific like the OP did, it's assumed they've already did thier research and had decided. Now when someone comes in looking for "mp3 players" that's a little different and the sales person is to ask some questions about how the customer plans to use it and what they think their habits will be in order for the sales person to suggest the appropriate model.

As far as computers...keep in mind it's mainly teenagers that want the best and of course they want you to have the best as well, though they should be asking "lifestyle questions" to figure out what features best fit the customer.

Geek Squad is a bitch because the prices for things can get really out of hand. They charge $39 for a hardware install. Now on a hard drive or video card for most people that's reasonable, but to drop a memory stick in, that's a bit much.

Spyware removal is sort of a rip-off. They charge $199 but what Geek Squad does is first they do a diagnostic on the PC ($69) and check the hardware status. We check the hard drive with a few diagnostic tools, we run two memory tests and mobo and processor tests. Then we do what's called an OS Service ($129) to actually clean the PC of viri spyware and all the other shit that clogs it up. If the event that a computer has issues that go beyond spyware but are still software related we'll do a clean installation of Windows and you HAVE to know the status fo the hardware BEFORE you do a clean install of Windows because....what if the hard drive is starting to fail? This is why we have to perform a diag before cleaning junk off a PC. This is where more money comes in. If we wipe your PC and do a clean install you lose all your data. This is why Geek Squad offers you a $99 data backup prior to taking your PC behind the bench.

BACKUP YOUR FILES BEFORE TAKING YOUR PC TO ANY REPAIR

Just buy an external hard drive (Western Digital) and keep your music and pictures and videos in there. It'll save you cash in the long run.

Feel free to email for advice. I hate feeling like I'm ripping people off.

tonyboling@gmail.com