Goodbye Jesus

Disproving The Unproven

Guest catalyst

Guest catalyst

I tried to reply to a thread started in August 2005 but was not able to. (some error message came up).

I wanted to reply to the original poster Dario and here is what they wrote originally:

I have read many posts where people have said that God is not real. They ask Christians to prove that there is a God. I was wondering if someone could give me legitimate proof that there is no such thing as God. I have no agenda by asking you this question, it is for curiosity only. Disprove that there is a God.

My response:

I personally have never asked a christian to prove their "god" as I don't have the time to sit around whilst they C&P paragraphs from the bible which in reality mean diddly squat, expecting me to buy the book as...pardon the pun... GOSPEL as that is all they have and frankly if I am going to deem something as even somewhat viable and worth investigation, I like to have at least 3 non-partisan, viable and checkable sources. A version of a single book with multiple contradictory accounts of same events and multiple do's and don't contradicted through it's pages isn't even ONE viable source as far as I am concerned. Mr Omni this and that sure as shit changed his mind and often, so much for OMNI!

I have however asked christians, why they believe in a deity which for thousands of years has remained UNPROVEN. So christian apologists on this site...again I ask the same question to you.

Why do you believe in the UNPROVEN?

While it is true you cannot disprove the invisible and supernatural, what you can disprove is their physical interaction with our world and the claims made about them. You may not disprove God but you can disprove Bible God.

maybe faith give them strength and structural in their life? If believing in something that makes people civilize then how bad can it be? You are a non believer because you can't disprove god and they are believer because they don't need to prove God since they do live by that one verse that goes... "bless those who do not see but believe"

You don't see what they see in it and they sure don't see what you see out of it either so the world now is in balance and harmony is good.

It's possible to disprove specific claims of a deity (eg. the Christian deity). It's impossible to disprove the general concept of a god, especially if said concept includes a sentient universe or life force or something generic like that.

maybe faith give them strength and structural in their life? If believing in something that makes people civilize then how bad can it be?
Christianity effects everyone, I found the following video outlines why atheists care quite well:

You are a non believer because you can't disprove god

No most people are non-believers because they have disproven the christian god well enough based on the evidence they have been given. The evidence differs and the extent of unbelief differs, even Christians are unbelievers in scientology, buddism, islam etc, atheists are just unbelievers in all religions.

Challenging you to "disprove god" is a fallacious argument on their part. It's based on a very simple, foundational concept of debating known as the burden of proof. In essence, as the one making the claim, the onus is on the theist to find objective* evidence/proof of the existence of their deity.

'Course, that won't deter any theist worth his cognitive dissonance, but that's beside the point. The knowledge is really there to help you as a warning sign to steer you clear of a futile and frustrating argument.

*Note the word "objective." Subjective/emotional arguments such as "I can feel his love!" or "The entire universe is a testament to his existence!" don't count.

Well you can make logical arguments against the existence of a god, but first you have to have the Christians define the attributes of their god. Most will claim that their god is omnipotent and that alone is easy to knock down. Omnipotence is impossible due to paradoxes. This is a rather funny, yet serious read http://www.update.uu.se/~fbendz/nogod/no_god.htm#qualities

Then you have the matter of them claiming their god is all-loving and all-powerful...which contradict each other. There is no way you could have an all-loving god that is also all-powerful who lets this much pain and suffering go on in the world.

Guest catalyst

Thank you all for your replies and each and every one of you make very valid points, but there is something missing from this equation....The xians! lol

To Shaman...

maybe faith give them strength and structural in their life? If
But that's the thing, what is the claimed strength and structure based on? Assumption or perhaps just delusion?

believing in something that makes people civilize then how bad can it be

I don't believe that religious belief makes people civilised at all and if anything it makes them more arrogant and judgemental of those around them including their fellow "christians". History has also shown that the majority of deaths destruction and debauchery have been at the hands of those committing such atrocities BECAUSE of their faith. Hardly civilised behaviour.

You are a non believer because you can't disprove god and they are believer because they don't need to prove God since they do live by that one verse that goes... "bless those who do not see but believe"
I am a non-believer because I outgrew the need to have invisible friend or foe to give kudos or blame to as to my decisions in life and also realised that seeing IS believing! They may well claim to live by that one verse you quoted, but I doubt they take it through every facet of their lives, unless they are extremely gullible. I mean to say, do you really believe for example these people would "just believe" a real estate agent telling them about some prime land for sale going for a song and they would purchase it UNSEEN, although they have read the speil in the catalogue? I for one wouldn't and that is just land and the off chance of losing some hard earned bucks, so there is no way I would put my entire life to the unseen and unproven.

You don't see what they see in it and they sure don't see what you see out of it either so the world now is in balance and harmony is good.

The thing is, the world is NOT in balance. If it were there would not be wars being waged everywhere and again mostly in the name of "god" and country. (moreso god)

To woodsmoke:

*Note the word "objective." Subjective/emotional arguments such as "I can feel his love!" or "The entire universe is a testament to his existence!" don't count

lol.. I hear you! I deal with a christian often on my own board (as below) and she is constantly coming out with that crapola too! But she comes up with "PROOF" too. She has even gone so far to show me "proof" of Jesus actually existing though, by posting pics of roman coins??... :shrug: uh hu.... I didn't see the link...

Scarlett:

I have done the omni god challenge and none of them bite! It is like they have their fingers in their ears la la laing.. lol Too bad if they had to actually think for themselves for a change, huh?