Goodbye Jesus

Hooray, I'm Headed For Hell!

sarahgrace

So I was doing some paperwork at the counter, minding my business. I was wearing a sweater because it's stupidly cold out here right now. The girl from the store across the hall comes in and says she likes my sweater. Here is the conversation that ensued:

me: "thanks, it's from Hungary."

her: "I like that there are animals on it. Are they camels?"

me: "No, they're alpacas. The sweater is made out of alpaca wool."

her: *disgusted, scandalised look* Really?

me: .... *confused at her reaction* yeeaaahhh....

her: "It's made out of alpaca."

me: "Yes."

her: "You're going to hell for that. If an animal had to die for that sweater, you're going straight to hell."

me: *shocked* Um, the alpaca probably didn't die on account of my sweater... see... it's kinda like shearing sheep. shearing doesn't kill the sheep.

her: "oh. well, you WOULD have been going to hell. SOMEONE here is going to hell."

me: :blink: "Umm, okay. I just hope you remember that next time you chow down on a hamburger."

her: "Uh, God made cows to be slaughtered and eaten."

me: "Ummm.... okay. Well... sure. Whatever. You just keep on rationalising your belief system, that's cool. I... I should get back to work."

I'd be a lot more shocked at this conversation if I didn't know what church this chick goes to. It's one of the biggest, richest, most obnoxious megachurches in the city. Prosperity gospel all over. Cult of personality around the pastor. I'd be floored if she'd even read Genesis all the way through. I'm a vegetarian so I love turning the 'animal rights' arguments around on carnivores. :HaHa: But she took it to a whole new level for me. Wow.

Heh - good tack.

Typical Abrahamist mentality - everyone whom they don't like is going to Hell, but they couldn't possibly be hellbound themselves, despite what their own logic says.

If more Abrahamists realized that, those cults would collapse faster.

Typical Abrahamist mentality - everyone whom they don't like is going to Hell, but they couldn't possibly be hellbound themselves, despite what their own logic says.

If more Abrahamists realized that, those cults would collapse faster.

Merely for accuracy's sake -- two out of three Abrahamic religions believe in hell. Better get busy collapsing Jews with another strategy, Varokhar.

That's an unbelievable conversation, Sarahgrace. Don't ever wanna tangle with her, so I'll be wearing no alpaca in Winnipeg.

Oh yeah - slipped up there :Doh:

One of the few redeeming qualities about Judaism, the lack of Hell.

Edit: BTW, I clearly wasn't attacking Jews, but Abrahamists. There's a difference, so don't go looking for anti-semitism here :rolleyes:

huh, I may be a little out of the loop, but I've never heard of a xian church that had a problem with wearing animal skin or fur. At least not one of the main stream, evangelical mega churches.

huh, I may be a little out of the loop, but I've never heard of a xian church that had a problem with wearing animal skin or fur. At least not one of the main stream, evangelical mega churches.

Personally, I've never heard of one, but I've also never heard of a church that makes a big deal out of enviornmental issues - though I knew Xians who do.

I think it's more the judgementalism that goes along with the religion that's the main problem, the desire to condemn everyone to Hell for being different, etc. Xianity for one certainly encourages it.

So I was doing some paperwork at the counter, minding my business. I was wearing a sweater because it's stupidly cold out here right now. The girl from the store across the hall comes in and

JeEEEzusChrist! 280,000 people die in a tsunami and your going to hell because you wear a fuckin muskratt! Lets keep things in perspective!

Yeah. I don't know if she picked it up at church, or if it was just something that developed out of her church's penchant for encouraging the faithful to quit thinking about what they say. :scratch: Either way her logic was ludicrous.

What honestly disturbed me more was the flippancy with which she condemned me to an eternity of suffering. I mean... seriously? We're friends. You're gonna send me to hell? Forever? Just like that, huh? For wearing a woolen sweater. Mmkay, well, that makes you a horrible, horrible person. :shrug:

So I was doing some paperwork at the counter, minding my business. I was wearing a sweater because it's stupidly cold out here right now. The girl from the store across the hall comes in and says she likes my sweater. Here is the conversation that ensued:

me: "thanks, it's from Hungary."

her: "I like that there are animals on it. Are they camels?"

me: "No, they're alpacas. The sweater is made out of alpaca wool."

her: *disgusted, scandalised look* Really?

me: .... *confused at her reaction* yeeaaahhh....

her: "It's made out of alpaca."

me: "Yes."

her: "You're going to hell for that. If an animal had to die for that sweater, you're going straight to hell."

me: *shocked* Um, the alpaca probably didn't die on account of my sweater... see... it's kinda like shearing sheep. shearing doesn't kill the sheep.

her: "oh. well, you WOULD have been going to hell. SOMEONE here is going to hell."

me: :blink: "Umm, okay. I just hope you remember that next time you chow down on a hamburger."

her: "Uh, God made cows to be slaughtered and eaten."

me: "Ummm.... okay. Well... sure. Whatever. You just keep on rationalising your belief system, that's cool. I... I should get back to work."

I'd be a lot more shocked at this conversation if I didn't know what church this chick goes to. It's one of the biggest, richest, most obnoxious megachurches in the city. Prosperity gospel all over. Cult of personality around the pastor. I'd be floored if she'd even read Genesis all the way through. I'm a vegetarian so I love turning the 'animal rights' arguments around on carnivores. :HaHa: But she took it to a whole new level for me. Wow.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

May be she was just looking for some new way to judge you? :shrug:

Killing an animal -- usually causing it pain in the process -- and eating it is OK, but wearing it is OUT of the question, eh? Has she read Genesis, where Gawd killed some poor animals for Adam and Eve's first fur clothes?

Killing an animal -- usually causing it pain in the process -- and eating it is OK, but wearing it is OUT of the question, eh? Has she read Genesis, where Gawd killed some poor animals for Adam and Eve's first fur clothes?

:lmao: Does that mean Gawd is going to hell then?

yes, the logic (lack thereof, more like) just astounds me. Sometimes you just have to pick your battles... I've had 'religion' discussions with this woman before (she doesn't know that i'm a non-christian as i tend to be very private about my beliefs in the workplace, with the exception of my close coworkers) and she's completely over-the-top obnoxious and impossible to talk to rationally. Hence the 'whatever you say' response... anything else is like repeatedly smashing my head against a brick wall. People like that, i'd rather just leave them be and mercilessly lampoon them after the fact. ;)

Was it a blended fabric sweater? Those blended fabrics are an aboniation after all. :D

Was it a blended fabric sweater? Those blended fabrics are an aboniation after all. :D

Nope, 100% knitted alpaca wool. it's an awesome sweater, actually. i love it!

Can I bum a ride? We can carpool and take the HOV lane and probably get there faster depending on traffic :HaHa:

I'd be a lot more shocked at this conversation if I didn't know what church this chick goes to. It's one of the biggest, richest, most obnoxious megachurches in the city.

:scratch: Hmm. I haven't heard of this latest sojourn into lunacy either.

It's okay to eat animals, but if you wear them, you're condemned. Interesting.

I'm sure there is some little obscure passage in the bible that is ingeniously warped into supporting this position.

I'd say that I'm surprised that anyone is buying it. But I'm really not. The longer I live, the less amazed I am at the gullibility quotient of human beings. All it takes is a good salesperson and we're off and running on the latest nonsense-du-jour.

Can I bum a ride? We can carpool and take the HOV lane and probably get there faster depending on traffic :HaHa:

Can I hitch a ride, too? I just had a talk with a Christian who did all she could to get me to tell her what I believe about God. I worked my way around telling her but it convinces me that a xian heaven is not going to be comfortable for me even if one exists.

i have an idea... lets all pool our money and rent one of those luxury SUV stretch limos. We can get there in style and take out the ozone layer as we go!! :lmao:

I'm not at all scientific but taking the ozone layer would mean the xians get to roast right here on planet earth? Hmmm. There are some good Christians...I'd have to think about that...

Well personally I don't believe killing animals for any reason or causing their suffering is morally sound.

But out of those two choices presented, I wouldn't have a problem with somebody wearing an alpaca sweater from Hungary. (California or China, on the other hand......) But cows that are turned into hamburgers go into indescribably more suffering than a Hungarian alpaca getting shaved for their wool. (Especially considering that most wool animals can suffer considerably if their ever-growing coat isn't removed regularly.)

I simply don't understand her logic, to put it bluntly. God made animals to make them suffer, so to use their wool in a non-hurtful way is wrong or something? Maybe that's it. You weren't exploiting God's gifts enough.

Have to agree with Sage here. It's a double-standard. If someone's that concerned about animal suffering, it makes no sense for them not to go veggie (or at least eat something like fish & eggs instead). The whacky stuff religion does to people never ceases to amaze me.

What in the hell is that supposed to mean, some here is going to hell? :huh:

I think you guys are missing the point with the eating v. wearing. This other person clearly means that some animals were designed (presumably intelligently) to be killed, while others were not. I could see this turn into a argumentum ad bananum.

Yeah man! And if they aren't going, she's going to bring it to them.