Goodbye Jesus

Increase In Swearing?

garrisonjj

Is it just the company I keep or is there a definite increase in the open terms used such as jezusfuckinchrist or godfuckindamnit and such?

I know I use all these terms in the appropriate company as an assertion to my deconversion, but I've been hearing much more of this of late. Opinions?

I dunno; I've been a potty-mouth all my life, despite any religious affiliation.

But I'm a Joisey Boy, born and raised :)

Back when I was a Christian I would never swear and I would scold people that did. When I left Christianity I started using every single cuss word I felt like, especially "Jesus Fucking Christ". I found it to be very liberating. It was kind of like what happens when you repress a natural desire, when you stop repressing yourself you go wild. :woohoo:

In all honesty, I am told that my very first word was........ shit.

Yeah, my swearing has increased too. I guess I've been holding back the swear words for so long that there all coming out now.

In my family, swearing is like punctuation. Even my grandmother swears all the time. The funny part is that she's trying to quit because "grandma's don't talk that way". Her new word is "crotch".

Believe me, it's not any better hearing your grandmother yell "CROTCH!" at the top of her lungs.

:blink:

I dunno; I've been a potty-mouth all my life, despite any religious affiliation.

But I'm a Joisey Boy, born and raised :)

Have you been drinking the water from the Joisey River?

I've cussed like a sailor most of my life. My dad hated any and all cussing and one of my earliest memories is of him literally beating me senseless because I came home and repeated the "f" word, not having a clue what it meant.

Maybe out of rebellion, against him and the church, I've always used "words" but usually knew who I could say them around and who I could not.

For years in my christian life, I would get depressed, literally for weeks, because I would slip up and utter something.

So these days I cuss quite a bit. I think for me it's part of working my way out of christian oppression. I don't however think it's any more prevalent in general than it ever has been, but I've worked in radio my entire life and we radio type people all cuss like sailors anyway, so maybe I'm not a good person to judge.

I don't think cussing is a big deal. Funny how "crap" or "dang" is acceptable but "shit" and "damn" are not. They're just words, and if you mean the same thing, what's the difference?

On a funny aside, my dad just recently used the word "Ass." we all laughed at him because he's never, ever in his life ever uttered anything like it. He was good natured about it. I think he's mellowed out a bit over the years.

If you mean the Delaware River, then yes - I was raised on the stuff.

I used to fill a glass with water and try to count the things swimming around in it when I was little. We switched to water filters shortly thereafter :)

I haven't cussed at all during my Christian life. I don't think I could start just out of habit. But I notice that if you don't cuss then people assume that you are a Christian.

Another thing I have noticed is that I still use capital letters for "God, Believer, Christian and a whole host of other words. This is a very hard habit to break, if it even is a habit. What do others think about this?

As a rule I don't swear. It's just not me, but when I do if I'm upset or angry people tend to pay attention.

I am VERY opposed to "bad words" so I use them all the time.

I rarely curse; not because I think it's "bad", but because I like to maintain an air of dignity around me when I'm around other people. :P I used to say "Son of a...", "Shoot!", and "Friggin'"...now I use the real words. The intention is the same.

I have noticed since the great change in my life when I quit believing, I cuss a lot more I don't why and I don't really fucking care ok. I think its idiotic anyway for words to be considered "bad words". It is something I never got as a child anyway. A word is a word God damn it and Christians are so fake. Ya at church they all act like they never cuss and whatnot, lets look at reality how familes really are.

Sorry for my rant but its truth, my parents were always hypocrits they cussed all the time. They said "Do not ever talk like we do its bad"

I am sorry but Christianity is over and I have left the damn fold and I can cuss however I want. No I do not overly do it when I get mad is when it gets extreme. You should have read my early posts on here when I first became a member and a Christian told me I was never a believer and a brat. I need to find the thread that is when I unleashed total rage. You will see on here I am pretty civivlized but that set off.

Well.....kind of.

As an emerging ex-Christian (as in, still desperately clinging to vague Christian beliefs while drifting away) I cursed aplenty, because I couldn't really find any kind of Biblical law that disallowed it. (I still don't think there is one.)

As I grew older, though, out of my teenage years, I realized that I had destroyed the sanctity of a good curse. I try to use them sparingly now to preserve their power. Nowadays, if you use the word "fuck" no one will be shocked into realizing you mean business. I'm trying to revive that.

Ahhh, fuck no...

kFL

If you mean the Delaware River, then yes - I was raised on the stuff.

I used to fill a glass with water and try to count the things swimming around in it when I was little. We switched to water filters shortly thereafter :)

Even the rain water in Jersey is dirty!

I learned most of my cuss words driving in the car with Dad. For the longest time I thought that Jesus H. Christ, was his real name. It depends for me, if I'm around ladies, I try not to cuss, and definately don't say fuck, I also watch my words around young kids. As I've aged I find that I don't use them as much as I did as a teen, or even as a young adult.

I don't think God dam it, is cussing, but I admit I'm using it a bit more these days.

I swear very rarely, but when I do my friends sit up and take notice ‘cause they know someone has really pissed me off.

I swear but not habitually, usually depends on the circumstances and sometimes in fun. The only thing that bothers me even remotely is excessive cussing; I've never been able to tolerate being around people who cuss every other word even when I was a teen and in the Navy.

Yes I cuss, I don't think it has the same meaning today as it use to in my parents day. Today I think it's more slang then actually cussing. People tend to use cuss words in everyday conversation without even thinking. :shrug:

Yes I cuss, I don't think it has the same meaning today as it use to in my parents day. Today I think it's more slang then actually cussing. People tend to use cuss words in everyday conversation without even thinking. :shrug:

I agree, use of "fuck" and jesus christ just seem to be slang and off the cuff. When I fuckin curse,godamnit though I really mean it and its self asuring for me. Much as Scarlett above. Thanks