Goodbye Jesus

Is God For Real?

Guest Duncan Anbar

Guest Duncan Anbar

Last night I had a dream about a book. It contained lots of short interesting points illustrating the absurdity of many theistic points of view. This is a mockup of a couple pages that I've put together.

I'm soliciting stories that illustrate extremely difficult paradoxes to resolve for paradigms that include an omniscient, omnipotent, beneficent deity. I prefer if these stories can be referenced in newspaper or magazine articles, however if the story is good enough that can be waived.

Calamities are OK but what I'm really looking for here are points that cause a questioning of what one has been taught their entire life. I'd like the articles to be extremely short and interesting.

One example that would be good is that tally of the total number of deaths God is responsible for in the Bible I saw once. I'm sure you all have thoughts that have struck you as totally outrageous and wished you could share them with those still "in the matrix."

Please post your thoughts in this thread unless you need to keep the submission anonymous in which case, PM me.

forrealig4.gif

forreal2ve7.gif

So basically, a refutation of the Judeo-Christo-Islamic God?

There's already been so many. I guess a good one would be, why would a benevolent God, who loves his children, deliberately make it so hard for them to please him? Why would he give us rampant sexuality and then tell us to suppress it? Why would he give us a body and then tell us to neglect it?

Why would God create man in his current body? Let's face it, this particular design isn't very well-suited. I stand up straight after years of forcing myself to the habit, and let me tell you, it's not easy. It gives you backaches like a bitch, and also, because your knees lock to keep yourself upright, is probably sending me head-first into arthritic knees the size of softballs. (The scientific explanation is that we're still evolving our upright stance, or at the very least evolved walking upright a tad too early for our bodies.) There's the issue of wisdom teeth I raised earlier (why would God have four completely useless teeth in his mouth, and why would he give them to us?), and also simply the fact that if God designed man in his own image, then why did God select for himself this particular, ill-formed one?