Goodbye Jesus

Should I Listen To Christian Rock?

Mikefight

:woohoo: I like rock music. I like metal. I like Mettalica, 10 Years, Disturbed, and I also like some Christian rock bands like Skillet, and Decyfer Down.

Should I delete the Christian Mp3's from my computer? :shrug: I can't help feeling that listening to their music is supporting their cause. Which, I believe, is to spread the lies of religion.

I have tried replacing the meaning of the song with my own meaning. In the back of my mind I still know the songs true intention. I am not buying Christian music ever again. I only download songs anyway.

I still enjoy the music. :dumbo:

Personally, I think you should stop worrying so much about whether things like listening to certain types of music is OK or not.

FWIW, I still listen to and enjoy a few select christian songs. I don't feel guilty about it one way or the other.

If you enjoy the music, listen to it. I haven't listened to Christian Rock for about 5-6 years, but as I remember (and depending on the group) the lyrics would often be more ambiguous than a church hymn. As in, a song might talk about love, which could be interpreted to be towards Jesus (if you're chrisitian) or towards a girlfriend/boyfriend (if you're non-religious).

I have tried replacing the meaning of the song with my own meaning. In the back of my mind I still know the songs true intention. I am not buying Christian music ever again. I only download songs anyway.

I used to do this with secular music when I was a Christian! It was easiest to do when a song was vaguely spiritual, or (as in my earlier example) spoke of love. I would rewrite some of the words in my head to "Christianize" it. I told a friend at church once that I did this, and she looked at me like I was crazy. Now of course, I listen to whatever I want, and take the lyrics as they come.

Eventually, you may just find your interest in Christian music fading away. Let it happen naturally instead of forcing it.

Can't speak for you, but I listened to a LOT of Christian bands back in the day....after I deconverted I just couldn't enjoy them anymore...eventually I deleted most of them...I still keep a few of the more ambiguous ones around, like Sixpence non the richer, or such...but most of them I just couldn't stomach anymore.

I loved Skillet, but most of their music literally reeks with Christian propaganda. They just annoyed me afterwards. I found other music to listen too.... Nowadays I mostly listen to Japanese Metal bands :lol:

It's YOUR music. You bought it. Who are we to tell you what to do with something you own, and still like?

The only way you'd be supporting their "cause" would be if you towed a wagon carrying a stereo blasting christian rock while you hand out flyers for the band. Or if you encouraged anyone else to listen to it, but I get the impression this is for your personal enjoyment.

If you like it, then like it. Fuck what anyone else thinks.

It's YOUR music. You bought it. Who are we to tell you what to do with something you own, and still like?

The only way you'd be supporting their "cause" would be if you towed a wagon carrying a stereo blasting christian rock while you hand out flyers for the band. Or if you encouraged anyone else to listen to it, but I get the impression this is for your personal enjoyment.

If you like it, then like it. Fuck what anyone else thinks.

Hehe, I like it. Pretty much what I said, but worded *much* better, LOL.

Pretty much what WR said.

I still have some old Xian stuff, and don't intend to get rid of it. Even Xian rock bands make some half-decent stuff now and then. I, however, don't intend to buy anymore of it, and if I want something badly enough, I'll find a free download. I won't put a dollar more into the pockets of people who promote spiritual terrorism.

Then again, even if I did, it really wouldn't matter, since Xianity won't be saved by money anymore than it will be saved by the sword ever again...

I also have some Christian rock stuff and don't want to get rid of it. White Raven pretty much sums up my opinion. If it's for yourself, it's not really "for the cause" and you shouldn't be ashamed for liking it.

To hell with the moral issue. If you can stomach it, that is your choice. However...

... last week I visited a choir with thoughts of joining it. The choir was not a church one. About 1/3 of what they sang was a spiritual song. The choir leader made references to his church.

Now... if what they sang was in latin (I've done that) or Gregorian chant (I'd really really like to do that some day), then I could stomach it but when the lyrics have "Praise Jesus" or "God's gonna take us home" crap in it... I just can't get excited about it.

What was disappointing was that that choir was really quite good and I'd enjoy singing with people with some measure of talent and skill. It was disappointing but I just could'n't get excited about the material they sang.

So the next day I went to preview (must be the season) another choir and I will stick with them because they are more fun and they do show tunes and spiritually ammoral tunes (like K D Lang's Halleujah)

I'll have fun with them and while they are a decent choir, they are not a "great" choir that I'd like to sing in.

I just can't do it.

But that... is **my** choice. Make your own and if you want to trash the music then you have the right to kick it to the curb or tune in. What ever you like.

Mongo

As a working musician I hold christian rock in utter contempt,

Its badly rehashed rock love ballads, reworded to the (jesus is my boyfreind/girlfreind) genera.

It has all the spiritual value of a can of rotting tuna, And all the depth of a smear on glass.

It only sells because youth pastors tell their sheep to buy it.

I have to agree :HaHa:

I was an aspiring musician once, and may be so again. But when I was really gearing up to try my hand at the music biz, I couldn't help but notice the differences between Xian rock and other genres of rock music.

Generally, Xian rock bands are some of the most boring bands out there. Not because of their subject matter, but because of their approach to the music. Their attention to the music seems to take a back seat to their lyrical material; they focus so much on the things they are making music about that they seem to give the music itself less attention than they should. The end result is bland, dull music that does nothing to make their message seem any more attractive.

That, and perhaps there really is some metaphysical or psychological element which dictates that Xianity and rock music just plain don't go together. Many of the bands I listen to who take their ideology seriously, usually a kind of LaVeyan Satanism or different strains of Asatru, usually manage to get their music right. Xians bands - forget it. It's like Jebus-belief makes one totally inept at playing rock music.

When I was growing up there was Stryper (yeah...the yellow and black attack!!! :puke:), sort of, barely (they had one, maybe two albums out). They sucked big time and were among the best. Xian rock of today is fantastic by comparison. I would've killed for some of the bands they have today.

Personally, I liked Ozzy, Maiden, shit like that and still do (only now I don't feel guilty...and haven't for a long time...I only though music was evil for a short time). :)

mwc

Guest hunibear
When I was growing up there was Stryper (yeah...the yellow and black attack!!! :puke:), sort of, barely (they had one, maybe two albums out). They sucked big time and were among the best. Xian rock of today is fantastic by comparison. I would've killed for some of the bands they have today.

Personally, I liked Ozzy, Maiden, shit like that and still do (only now I don't feel guilty...and haven't for a long time...I only though music was evil for a short time). :)

mwc

Follow your own path. Make up your own mind. No one on the internet or this planet is going to walk your path for you. You walk alone, you chose to, or with God, your choice, and no one should talk you into a path.

Your not affraid that kind of music will sprout a mustard seed are you?...

I loved the Christian Rock of the 1980s, and I still do. Amy Grant's 1985 "Unguarded" album ROCKED. I like and still listen to Mylon LeFevre & Broken Heart sometimes. I have a concert video of them (circa 1985) that honestly ROCKS. Morgan Cryar had a couple of songs out that I really liked - "Pray in the USA" and one other one that I can't recall the name of right now. I don't believe the Christian message anymore, but I still like the music. Glory!

No, just wondered what others thought. I will listen to it like any other music, until I get tired of it.

Thanks for all the input. :woohoo:

:woohoo: I like rock music. I like metal. I like Mettalica, 10 Years, Disturbed, and I also like some Christian rock bands like Skillet, and Decyfer Down.

Should I delete the Christian Mp3's from my computer? :shrug: I can't help feeling that listening to their music is supporting their cause. Which, I believe, is to spread the lies of religion.

By listening to anyone who advocates a cause you don't support, you're doing the same thing you think you're doing with Christian Rock Bands.

For instance, Akon is someone who stole thousands of cars and is now making tons of money singing like an asshole.

Follow your own path. Make up your own mind. No one on the internet or this planet is going to walk your path for you. You walk alone, you chose to, or with God, your choice, and no one should talk you into a path.

Uhhh...what?

I don't care what he listens to. It's paid for (or not). My point was the xian rock of today is far superior to the xian rock of yester-year and that I would have liked to have had to been able to choose from the xian bands of today instead of crappy bands like Stryper (xian didn't automatically mean they sucked...they just sucked).

Was it really that complicated? :shrug:

However, are you so afraid of Ozzy that you needed to toss in that mustard seed comment? I thought people like Marilyn Manson or whatever (sorry I don't really follow new music) were the whipping boys of todays hip, young xian movement and you'd gotten over Ozzy? Do you still do the backwards masking thing too or did that die with records and reel to reel tape? "Number 9. Number 9. Number 9." ---> " Turn me on dead man. Turn me on dead man." Run it's the Beatles!!! (I'm totally showing my age now.)

mwc

Some of the music WAS good. Not much though.

Larry Norman - I'm Only Visiting this Planet

Fresh and original in the xtian world of the 70s.

Mark Heard - several great albums

Mark was seriously talented and wrote some very interesting music. Too bad it was all tainted with a flawed theology. One album, I think "Stop the Dominoes" was done entirely alone. A lot of Mark's songs would classify as rock but he was not a head banger. He wrote solid music and could have branched into the mainstream with different lyrics.

Michel W Smith and Amy Grant did some cool stuff but their talent is of a different genre than Larry and Mark. They are not comparable and neither would I say better.

There are individual songs from artists in xtian music that are fresh and talented but aside from the ones I mentioned, few others that I have listened to have a body of work that is worth mentioning.

I dropped out in late 80s so after that I have no opinion.

Mongo

no i don't think you should stop listening to it - i threw away virtually all my Christian music but in hindsight i wish i had kept some of it now.

For some more ideas on Christian music see the comments here.

I can't help feeling that listening to their music is supporting their cause. Which, I believe, is to spread the lies of religion.

Hmmm... According to the wackjobs at www.jesus-is-savior.com and av1611.org, you are just supporting the deceptions of satan and his minions by listening to christian rock! Peruse their rants about christian rock and rock music in general and you will either laugh or cry! They even had the nerve to say Johnny Cash (who was a devout christian) was in league with satan because he did a cover song written by Danzig, supposedly a satanic band. So a lot of fundies out there feel that christian rock is of the devil. Hmmm... maybe we should rethink this listening to christian rock thing again! :fdevil:

Heh, yeah, I remember being very torn over my love for rock music and the opinions of Xian evangelicals who opposed rock music altogether. It was one of the reasons I ended up dropping Evangelicalism for Cathoholism way back when.

Although I do agree with the fundies that Xian rock music does seem contradictory, I just find the concept of rocking out for Jebus to be hilarious. Yeah, Jebus saves, rock on, man! Wooo! :58:

:lmao:

Heh, yeah, I remember being very torn over my love for rock music and the opinions of Xian evangelicals who opposed rock music altogether. It was one of the reasons I ended up dropping Evangelicalism for Cathoholism way back when.

Although I do agree with the fundies that Xian rock music does seem contradictory, I just find the concept of rocking out for Jebus to be hilarious. Yeah, Jebus saves, rock on, man! Wooo! :58:

:lmao:

I was torn asunder also. For many years I had guilt about listening to the old rock classics I grew up with. I replaced it with christian hardcore. Even as a former youth leader I encouraged my students to listen to christian rock. I felt it had to be better than secular music. Even as a christian I was aware of all the fundy arguements against christian rock, yet I primarily dismissed those as being archaic thinking and non-progressive. After my deconversion I threw out most of my christian stuff except for Project 86. I just look at the quality of music now, not necessarily genre. Although now I would rather listen to System of a Down mocking god than a band giving pseudo props to any god.

I'm not ashamed to admit it, I like that Stacie Orrico song (There's Gotta be) More to Life. Ok, maybe a little ashamed. :Hmm:

Eh. I still like some Christian music, too. I think I'll always love the first three albums Jars of Clay released.