Goodbye Jesus

How do we know that Christians are delusional?

webmdave

• Admin

If you are a Christian, you are about to begin a fascinating journey. In the next ten minutes it will become clear to you that your belief in God is delusional.

The goal of this short video is to help you look in a mirror and understand the delusion of Christianity. Once you can see what is going on, the hope is that you will be able to start healing your delusion. With each healing, we make our world a better place.

http://exchristian.net/exchristian/2007/01...stians-are.html

Very well done!

The essential points are all covered.

There is a mild condescending tone about it but I don't know how one takes on this topic without coming off as superior.

Mongo

Meh. I gotta say when I was a Christian, all that would've done was piss me off. I might have written a scathing reply, or simply hit the back button. Generally, telling someone they're insane or in a cult is not going to help, even if they are.

I do think that the video was well constructed, but I think of its effectiveness based upon what I think how people like Fred phelps, Pat Robertson, et al would react to it. If they can ignore it, they will. If they can't ignore it, they will rail against it. if they can't rail against it, they will run from it. if they can no longer run from it, they have to confront it.

I don't think there's a way to worm around that argument. It's simple, and much like the clip itself, forms a bubble, so to speak, of logic. Unless you're one of those 'all paths lead to god' types, in which case, a different approach is necessary.

I don't think it should have started out so strong; calling Christians, both fundamentalist and liberal, delusional at the beginning will just turn them off right away. They'll put up that "shield of faith" or whatever, to protect them from the rest of the video--if they continue to watch it. Instead, it should begin without mentioning Christianity. A brief intro could state how some odd beliefs are going to be examined, and then go right into talking about the Mormons and Muslims. The Christian will be disarmed, and nodding their head in agreement. "Yes, those are strange religions! Who could believe that!" Then, begin comparing Christianity using this line of thinking. They still might turn it off, but at first they'll be flustered because they have to switch from nodding and saying "Amen" to "hey, wait a minute, they're talking about us!" Throw them off guard, so to speak. If a "weak" Christian views it, it just might work in causing them to doubt, or at least push them in the right direction.

As for liberal Christians; some of them actually might agree with your accusation of delusion against those who believe in miraculous things. I have a relative like this, and he can make more jokes about those who take the bible literally than...well, probably you can. He doesn't believe any of it; why he continues to attend a liberal Christian church is beyond me. Maybe he likes the feeling of being part of a community.

I think something like this can work. The majority of christians are not apologists that commit mental gymnastics and are not intellectually dishonest; just the vocal ones. When I was a xian I think this presentation would have blown me away. I figured that unbelievers had either bought into a lie like mormonism, or that they were hedonists who hadn't considered the religious question. I had no idea that anyone could discount it the way this guy did. It seems naive, but I was pretty naive growing up in Boise Idaho surrounded by believers, mormons and hedonists. I had never had anyone present a logical argument to me against xianity.

But then I grew up without the internet. Today xians can't avoid being exposed to other views and I would be willing to bet that a lot of them when confronted with this type of challenge are going to run to the xian bookstore/their pastor/their xian friends in hope of answering the questions that this presentation will raise in them. I'd also be willing to bet that many of them will not be satisfied with the answers they receive.

If you are a Christian, you are about to begin a fascinating journey. In the next ten minutes it will become clear to you that your belief in God is delusional.

The goal of this short video is to help you look in a mirror and understand the delusion of Christianity. Once you can see what is going on, the hope is that you will be able to start healing your delusion. With each healing, we make our world a better place.

Delusional? Jesus saves me, Jesus speaks to me,The holy spirit enlightens my mind, god helps those who help themselves, I speak in tongues! god answers all prayers, worshipping god makes him happy (and gets me more stuff) I believe a 200 year old fairy tale book. God had to see what Adam and eve would do?

How the FUCK could you be any more delusional if you believe this stuff!!!!

Delusional? Jesus saves me, Jesus speaks to me,The holy spirit enlightens my mind, god helps those who help themselves, I speak in tongues! god answers all prayers, worshipping god makes him happy (and gets me more stuff) I believe a 200 year old fairy tale book. God had to see what Adam and eve would do?

How the FUCK could you be any more delusional if you believe this stuff!!!!

Oops 2000

On another forum, we're getting "blessed" by a Christian who is trying to guide us into the Kingdom, so to speak. I posted the link to this video and asked her to please watch it and give it some thought. Here's her response:

You like that movie? I did watch it, and it was repulsive to me. The narrator of this movie has no idea about truth. Am I delusional? Everything he said about Christianity was spoken about in the New Testament. Paul, the Apostle said men would say the things he said about the Cross and its foolishness. "For the preaching of the Cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved, it is the power of God unto salvation."1 Cor 1:18

Yes, many religions are delusional, agreed, but unless you are born of God, you won't believe any of it. Christianity is not a religion, it is a relationship with Jesus Christ. Once He comes into your heart your whole being is changed. Almost instantly, you will have new behavior, a new outlook, a new lease on life, and you know it, because youo have been changed from within by the Holy Spirit.

"Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe. Jews demand miraculous signs and Greeks look for wisdom, but we preach Christ crucified, a stumbling block to Jews and foolishness to Gentiles. but to those whom God has called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God and the wisdom of God. For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the weakness of God is stronger than man's strength.1 Cor 20-25

Blessings

I don't think it had much of an affect on her. She keeps saying "once a Christian, always a Christian" to those who claim to have left the faith; if you say you left Christianity you were never a Christian to begin with; she's made references to God revealing himself to those "who belong to Him"...to me, she sounds like a predestinationalist, once saved always saved Calvinist. She also spills out dippy examples trying to explain her viewpoint.
Okay, tell me all the steps that are taken to put the astronauts on the moon - Can you? Why can't you tell me the steps? Because, you say, you are not in the astronaut business and aren't able to comprehend all the steps because it's not your business to know.. So the same principle applies to spiritual understanding. Unless you are born of God, you will not understand spiritual matters. You won't understand the bible, nor will you even be interested in understanding the bible., because in man's natural state, he is just not interested in spiritual matters.

Strange that if man isn't interested in spiritual matters, there are so many religions, and books, websites, houses of worship, etc. around that deal with spiritual topics. I don't think she'd listen to me if I pointed that fact out, though. Gee, I think all of this really does prove this lady's delusional!