Goodbye Jesus

3 Most Annoying Christian Sects

Ahh!

Southern Baptists are deifnitely up there, I've been in that church to know who preachers fuck with people's minds and manipulate kids into thinking God is speaking to them at a young age as well as the discrimination and repression that goes on.

Guest MothandRust

Man, I passionately hate "tongues" promoting churches:

- Revival Centres Internation/Revival fellowships

- United Pentecostals

- any freaking church who include "tongues" in their creed

I'm training my 'cat to get their tongues'

Mine, for personal reasons are:

Elim Pentecostal (pentecostal denomination found mainly in the UK)

Anglican/Episcopal

Roman Catholic

1. JW

2. Morons

3. Cocklicks

(That's the order of annoyance as it appears to me personally over here in Germany. Most pervasive, however, is the cocklicks, due to sheer numbers)

They call themselves the cocklicks...or is that what everyone else refers to them as?

Either way that's pretty rich! :)

Lots of Catholic hate here, I don't quite get that. I have never had any problems with a Catholic, all the ones I know (and I know a lot) have a live and let live attitude. It's the Baptists and non-denominationals and "Christians" who get me.

Lots of Catholic hate here, I don't quite get that. I have never had any problems with a Catholic, all the ones I know (and I know a lot) have a live and let live attitude. It's the Baptists and non-denominationals and "Christians" who get me.

Yeah, that's pretty much my experience, too. Plus even most religious Catholics I know (and I know a lot of them) are more open-minded, on issues like evolution and the Big Bang, etc., and the validity of other religions, to even disobeying their church's laws about certain things (for example, most of them use some kind of birth control, and statistically they're actually more sympathetic to abortion than others).

I've known of a few overzealous Catholics, but I think they're a dying breed, and besides, they're a rarity among the church laity, not a rule, like among some of the Protestant sects. They also generally believe that their own church's decisions during Vatican II were wrong and mistaken, and that's why they often break off into uber-Catholics groups (like Mel Gibson's) that are too extreme for even the Church itself to stand.

For me it's not the people I dislike but the church itself. I know a lot of catholics as well, some of the nicest people I ever met. I was a catholic at one time and because I felt like one of the biggest hypocrites because I couldn't follow what they preached (no birth control, living in sin because I didn't have a marriage blessed by the church, my belief about abortion, gays, womans roles in the church, the coverup by the vatacan regarding the molestation of children, not to mention their past history etc) I changed to a more liberal denomination.

We have to pick only three? :ugh:

1. WELS Lutheran (not that they're all bad, but my bosses exemplify what's wrong with them: no living together, no gays, no "evil liberals," fundamentalism is perfectly OK, and the list goes on)

2. Born-agains (because they can't take a fucking hint. They harassed me at work for three Wednesdays in a row)

3. The Phelps clan.

And really, it's not that they're annoying so much as they seem to engender the worst of Christianity (which may be an oxymoron). My bosses? Are total assholes in regards to certain things. One told me straight that if I was a good Christian, I would be Republican. I shit you not. All good Christians (excluding the "crazy" ones) are Republican, though she backtracked and shut up once I pointed out my co-worker, who will be going into the seminary, isn't Republican. Couldn't argue against a soon-to-be pastor. :grin:

They call themselves the cocklicks...or is that what everyone else refers to them as?

See one of my previeous postings... the German name is "Katholiken", but somewhere in these forums of the past I found the term cocklicks and figured it fits :fdevil:

Part of it its a regional thingamabob.

Come over to Germany and you'll find that (the small cults let aside) the catholics are the most fundified here. Yup, for all I know it's very different in the US...

Part of it its a regional thingamabob.

Come over to Germany and you'll find that (the small cults let aside) the catholics are the most fundified here. Yup, for all I know it's very different in the US...

We've got our fair share of fundified Catholics in the UK too.

I'm sure Southern Baptists are very annoying, but from an English perspective:

1) Pentecostal.. these churches are known here for accidently killing their kids when they take the whole striking demons out / healing too far.

2) Happy clappy / evangelical types. We have lots of these at uni and they're constantly leafleting / slipping things under doors.

3) I know they're not a Christian sect, but can I give aggressive Muslims an honorary mention?

hmmm, Definitely:

1. Pentecostals (My sister goes to a pentecostal school, the men treat women like crap and force every girl there to wear skirts whether they are pentecostal or not.)

2. Southern Baptists (probably the result of growing up listening to their crap)

3. Mormons and Jehovah's witness are tied here (they both knock on your door too damn much)

This is the correct order, Baptists would have been at the top but the way my little sis' is being treated pisses me off to no end.

Hmm...to be honest I don't have any first hand experience of actually going to services in any denomination apart from the Catholic Church, but from my experience of talking to members of the other denominations...

1) Fundie evangelicals of any denomination. Usually Protestant. Think 'flood geology' is actually a form of science. Deny evolution. Deny the existence of sexual orientation even though they know deep down they're talking shite. Cause gay people to hate themselves, commit suicide and/or bottle up their emotions until they start sleeping with whores and taking drugs. Have such a low intelligence they need to be studied. Cannot understand that we are related to apes but vote for George W. Bush, who is close to being a missing link. Hate intelligent pursuit of knowledge with a passion and moan about 'libruls' and relativism. Dancing is wrong. Gambling is wrong. Everyone is wrong. Would, on the whole, love to see civil rights for black people repealed.

2) Jehovah's Witnesses. 2000 years of in-depth study of the Bible and yet one man with a Hebrew/English dictionary and a Greek/English one can translate the Bible better. Has predicted the end of the world at least 15 times. Is a cult that indoctrinates people and destroys their lives.

3) Eastern Orthodox...as much as I love and respect their traditions and practices, I have found far too many of them to be extremely self-righteous and obnoxious. They are very close-minded and instinctually anti-everyone. Anything that is not Eastern is intrinsically evil. Have very little to say apart from 'ask a priest' and seem to me to have stagnated about 1000 years ago.

I do, however, have an awful lot of time for most Catholics (probably because I used to be one so I'm very biased), Anglicans, Quakers (especially liberal Quakers, who are fantastic), UCC, Methodists etc. I'm not that adverse to the Eastern Orthodox in principle, it's just my experiences of many of them. The Coptic Orthodox seem groovy, as do the Assyrian Church of the East etc.

We've got our fair share of fundified Catholics in the UK too.

I can't say I know any...

The worst Christian cults?

What about this list:

1. Catholics

2. Protestants

3. Any other kind.

:HaHa:

Well in America they're deep blue. They, or at least their ancestors of one or two generations ago, were typically blue-collar workers, also even today there's a lot of anti-Catholic prejudice among Protestant Americans, so they have an experience of being the little guy. That's probably why they're so typically liberal and easygoing in the US.

I guess in a part of the world where they've been a part of the government for a thousand years or so, it would be different.

In my personal experience:

1. Pentecostals

2. Pentecostals

3. Pentecostals

Everyone else around here seems not to give a goddamn about religion. Or, if they do, they keep quiet about it.