Plainly Dressed

Ex-COG

I know there's been threads before on some of the strange clothing styles that fundies love. I was surprised when I found this one that sells what they call plain clothing, in the style of the Amish and Mennonite traditions. Goodness, they even made it in Vogue Magazine ! Plainly Dressed Check out the underwear...er, underpinnings, as they call it.

Funny thing is, while cruising the drop down menu and reading on their religious pronouncements, it sounds like they are Seventh-Day Adventists, not Amish/Mennonite. Maybe they go to a church that is an odd mix?

:twitch: OMG the Vouge pics are terrifying, the combo of amish like hats, heroine chic make up and anorexic like modles looks like something from some ghost movie.

:twitch: OMG the Vouge pics are terrifying, the combo of amish like hats, heroine chic make up and anorexic like modles looks like something from some ghost movie.

American Haunting, anyone?

I know there's been threads before on some of the strange clothing styles that fundies love. I was surprised when I found this one that sells what they call plain clothing, in the style of the Amish and Mennonite traditions.

Those men's clothes on the front page are shockingly unbabblical, no? Pants, my arse! Don't they know that back in babblical times men wore... err...

...sorry. I know, crossdressing threads belong into the Sex'n'Jebus-Cult forum :lmao:

... Funny thing is, while cruising the drop down menu and reading on their religious pronouncements, it sounds like they are Seventh-Day Adventists, not Amish/Mennonite. Maybe they go to a church that is an odd mix?

Well, they look Amish to me. But, I was wondering how people who supposedly shun "modern" things such as electricity could shop online. I know some of them have kerosene-powered refrigerators, but I'm not aware of kerosene-powered computers. :shrug:

Also got me wondering what busty ladies use for support, since I didn't see anything that looked like a bra advertised. Just another religious mystery, I guess.

You want a scary site in this sort of vein? Check out the site of Lydia of Purple.

Want to see even scarier? On the same site, a bit hard-to-find, is this family's photo album. They're actually trying to sell-off their younger daughters! Sick Ass-Bastards

Scroll down all the way and read, get ready for a combination of things, from hurling at the ugly girls, to mockery.

I actually really liked the Vogue pictures...very cool Addam's family look going on there. :lol:

Want to see even scarier? On the same site, a bit hard-to-find, is this family's photo album. They're actually trying to sell-off their younger daughters! Sick Ass-Bastards

That's very scary :ohmy:

Not only are they ugly, but they're in their 20's living at home, they look slightly retarded (perhaps by their upbringing, not necessarily their genes), and they have that little house on the prairie aesthetic, that wasn't attractive when it was in. Sad.

they look slightly retarded (perhaps by their upbringing, not necessarily their genes)
Dude, it's in their genes. Trust me...

These types of people live in their little community/settlements and the inbreading inevitably has an impact.

I know. I work with many Amish people and you see that sort of thing all of the time. Every once in a GREAT, GREAT while, you'll find an extremely attractive Amish girl (or guy depending on your preference). When I see them, I usually think that mama was bangin' someone else for sure.

But for the most part, they all have that trollish look to them.

I think a couple of those girls from the site could have been pretty, like the youngest. Yet if you look at their full family pictures, you may notice that at least one of their daughters that I can see (can't tell if there are more) have Down's.

Now, there's nothing technically wrong with having a Down's child, seeing as it's a fluke on the pairing of chromosomes, but if it's happened to the parents, then it's possible that all the rest of those women have the potential to also have a Down's child.

It also doesn't help that the majority of them aren't exactly looking like good candidates for genetic reproduction.

I feel bad for the youngest, who is "always ready". So many sick jokes...

Gah!

They look like peasants... No they look like serfs

19th century serfs from tsarist russia, Inbred serfs at that.

Pimping their daughters at the world via the web,

Mind if I vomit now?

That's very scary :ohmy:

Wonder what's going to happen when that Downs Synrome girl in the family photo comes of age. What kind of caption will they put on it in hopes of farming her out? 'Touched by God' perhaps?

Actually, these pictures are about 3-4 years old. If they haven't married off those girls yet, they never will.

I have a feeling that the Down's girl will be sheltered, as their little precious "gift from God" who will never be tainted.

Many times, girls like that will never be given a real chance at life, even if they're high-functioning, because the parents are either ashamed, or they decide to keep them where they will be "safe".

Whoever thought of dressing that one chick like a rodeo clown needs to be shot.

You want a scary site in this sort of vein? Check out the site of Lydia of Purple.

Scroll down all the way and read, get ready for a combination of things, from hurling at the ugly girls, to mockery.

Wow. I seem to remember that site from before. The picture of their first daughter's family looks relatively normal. The clothing looks like anyone might wear it, and the daughter's hair is worn down with no headcovering. I wonder if they rebelled against the strict dress code? And...what the heck is that cow and sheep doing to their third daughter?

I don't think any of these websites are run by Amish/Mennonites. I might also add that I have never seen such a looooong web address. www.modestapparelchristianclothinglydiaofpurpledressescustomsewing.com --whew!

More like Night of the Living Fundy.

More like Night of the Living Fundy.

Now THAT would be a scary movie.

On anothe note, they say they are not amish or mennonite, just bible believeing Christians. OH and grandma's wearing pants, so this whole dress thing must have come from Mom or Dad.

I believe that people should dress the way they want to, and if the Mr. and Mrs. like this way of dressing, fine. But why make the children copy them exactly? And I wonder if the older girls really want to dress differently but can't because they are still under their father's roof, or if they fully agree with mom and pop because of being taught nothing else? At least in the Amish community (is it true for the conservative Mennonites too?) as kids approach adulthood they are given the chance to experiment with "the world" and make the decision themselves whether they want to remain plain or not. Of course, they will go through a banning if that happens, but the choice at least is there.

My sister took her kids to a very strict church with tough dress codes, with rules such as skirts and dresses had to cover the knee, women were forbidden to wear pants, etc. When my niece was a teen, she "rebelled" and bought some jeans to wear to work. I was surprised when my sister didn't snatch them up and cut them to ribbons, but I'm sure she said things to my niece, and prayed, and shared at church about the rebellion. Eventually, my niece "repented", tossed the jeans, and stood up before the church to "confess her sin". :ugh: Now as an adult, she doesn't follow the strict dress codes or attend that church, but still goes to an extreme evangelical church.

I feel sorry for the children, having to be repressed and brainwashed like that. It is insane in this modern era to force women to wear dresses/skirts. It's one thing if they want to, but forcing them/brainwashing them to is another thing entirely. All it does is speak volumes about how little they value women!

These guys are damned old-fashioned. On another part of the site I believe, it discusses (to potential "mates") how their daughters have copied the entire scripture by hand, or on typewriter.

Talk about forced indoctrination, it's worse than the pente's that I come from!

I found under "headcoverings" on the site, that the girls are expected to take up a headcovering between 2-4 years old; around the time that they figure out that their father is the head of the home (okkkk... creepy dad). She goes on to explain that she has a daughter with Down's, who is well above that age, but hasn't asked for the covering yet. She's convinced that although her daughter understands nothing about the nature of God, Jesus, salvation, submission, or the need for headcoverings, that she feels the poor girl will "soon", and at that time she'll become a mature, godly woman.

Does she expect her god to cure her daughter of a genetic illness?

And how does that work in the mind of a fundy? Does a child with severe CP, Down's, or other low-to-mid functioning mental illness or retardation need Christ? Are they exempt from needing to say the sinner's prayer if they can't speak or are a vegetable? I've never understood how that all works. I worked at a christian camp one year who worked with special needs adults... and the whole time they were trying to preach to these poor people, and most of them would just sit in the service and daven, or would clap to the upbeat music, without ever understanding a thing.