Goodbye Jesus

Lunch Discussion

garrisonjj

With all this fuckin lent garbage, I was eating with co workers discussing how they can't eat meat on fridays and how they sacrafice sweets. In the same breath, they discuss how they are going to get their nails and hair done, but the girl who does this sucks ect. Then I said that self denial for lent is nonsense. A girl then stated bluntly, So your an atheist?" I answered "probably". The looks of shock were fantastic and it felt so fuckin great! The fuck what people think of me!

And they all thought I was this good catholic!

People have to realized the meaning behind lent. When you fast yourself during lent and you have a food craving but refuse to eat because you dedicate it all to god. If you are not hungry and have a craving for what you gave up for lent then lent is meaningless. Lent then is to void yourself of a desire but then you get tempted by the devil like how the devil tempted jesus but yet, you restrain and think of your god.

lent to me is whatever you can't eat or is witholding yourself, give it to me for I will eat it for you. Can you "lent" me your piece of meat so i can eat it?

To be on lent is to suffer. To suffer is to invite the devil to temp you. Instead of inviting god to you, you invite the devil like you're trying to bait him out with your suffering? WTF?

Oscar Wilde once said, "The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it."

On the subject of giving stuff like coffee or chocolate or some daily activity you enjoy, it makes more sense to me to indulge in it more. If you stop considering it a vice, it stops being a vice, and therefore, has no hold over you and you will naturally find an equilibrium.

Well I'm not Catholic and never have been. Don't know too much about it. Never practiced lent in my life. What is it? Giving up chocolate? If so, I guess I have lent all the time. All chocolate does for me is make me crave more and when I remove the temptation by eating more I get fat. So I do what I can to make it stay in the store where it cannot do things to me.

Lucky you, Ruby ;) I grew up in a strict Catholic household. During Lent (the 40 days before Easter), most Catholics choose to "give up" something that pleases them. Catholics place great value on suffering. My parents made us give up watching television and we each chose things on our own to give up. It was sually cookies or sweets, which was stupid because we rarely had them anyways and weren't allowed to watch much tv on a regular basis, either. Fridays during Lent meant no meat other than fish for anyone in the family, although our father never ate meat on Friday and doesn't to this day.

The worst part of Lent was Good Friday. We had to come home (usually ran around outside all day) and be in silence for the 3 hours Jesus supposedly spent dying on the cross.

... co workers discussing how they can't eat meat on fridays and how they sacrafice sweets. In the same breath, they discuss how they are going to get their nails and hair done...

I've always been struck by how shallow this "suffering for Lent" comes off. I mean, giving up chocolate, lattes, or even booze for a couple of weeks is nothing compared to selling all of your possessions and giving the proceeds to help the poor.

I mean, please. I guess the "emotional pain and suffering" of seeing your latte-cup holder in your Escalade empty for a couple of weeks must be experienced to be believed.

:blink:

I was Episcopal. I used to give up alcohol for lent. Man that sucked.

I think I'll have a drink now. :woohoo:

I was Episcopal. I used to give up alcohol for lent. Man that sucked.

I think I'll have a drink now. :woohoo:

i think for lent this year i will give up...lent. yes, i will refrain from indulging in delusional beliefs in some sky god that can heal me, that has a plan for my life, or whe gives a shit what happens down here at all. after all, temperate temperence is best. interperate temperance, well, that would be a bit extreme.