Goodbye Jesus

777 And 666 Very Weird -please Read

mick

Mick,

If it makes you feel any better there was a time in my early 20's when I was convinced that I was seeing a greater than normal number of street lights blink off just as I was approaching them. At the time I was convinced it was some sort of portent, or spiritual warfare. As it turns out I was just fixating on something everyone else saw but probably didn't pay attention to.

One note on the license plate thing...those plates are distributed in batches, and each batch will have the beginning numbers or letters in common. So if your license plate begins with Y45 you'll probably see a lot of Y45 license plates in your area. It also depends on how large of a city you live in. Just a thought.

There are lots and lots of coincidences in the world. They are present every day.

For instance, my name is Mick also.

But, you can call me Mythra.

I wouldn't want my church family to spot me here and hunt me down like the spawn of Satan that I am. :woohoo:

Wow that is wild, since my name is really Mythra. Also, I just saw three gigantic red Sevens in the sky. Then toungues of fire came down upon me from on high.

There are lots and lots of coincidences in the world. They are present every day.

For instance, my name is Mick also.

But, you can call me Mythra.

I wouldn't want my church family to spot me here and hunt me down like the spawn of Satan that I am. :woohoo:

Wow that is wild, since my name is really Mythra.

post-389-1172422177.gif Now, THAT was funny!

You SEE? There's coincidences and accidental shit going on all over the place!!

Guest CerebralHypertrophy

I can relate to your experience, in a way, Mick. When I was a Christian I would always see messages on Billboards, license plates, commericials, etc. I started seeing the number 111 on doors, license plates, clocks, pages, the internet on a regular basis...and still do often. I've had that weird situation happen where you start thinking about a totally random person that you don't see often...and then you see them. I've experienced dejavu a lot. When that shuttle crashed a few years back, I had a dream that night of a space shuttle crashing. I play poker often and sometimes it seems like you hear a whisper in your ear of the cards to come or just "feel" that the shitty hand you are holding is going to hit. I've even had the most realistic dream about God and Jesus comforting me about my doubts, saying that, "This is not a dream, this is all real, you are going to wake up and be filled with doubt and lose this 100% assurance that I am real, but remember this dream."

There's probably some other weird occurances that I'm not thinking of...but all these things can be explained away somehow. If these things are pointing towards something greater than us, whoever is sending us these "messages" wants them to be enshrouded in doubt and mystery, so that we doubt them.

Just stumbled on this interesting wikipedia article:

Benford's Law

FTA: "Benford's law, also called the first-digit law, states that in lists of numbers from many real-life sources of data, the leading digit is 1 almost one third of the time, and larger numbers occur as the leading digit with less and less frequency as they grow in magnitude, to the point that 9 is the first digit less than one time in twenty."

Leading digit Probability

1 30.1%

2 17.6%

3 12.5%

4 9.7%

5 7.9%

6 6.7%

7 5.8%

8 5.1%

9 4.6%

Of course, this probably doesn't apply well to license plates.

Mick,

If it's any reassurance to you, I always microwave food for an amount of time ending in 6 (1 minute becomes 1:06, etc) and I still have yet to get food poisoning. In fact, it actually seems to help since my apartment came with a cheap microwave that doesn't heat well anyways... :angry:

I don't struggle with Bible doctrine and the idea of Hell anymore. But I do struggle with people being dead serious about paranormal things that would priove the existence of God to be true, they go away after a while and I'm back to my old atheist way of thinking but they fuck me up mentally. Things like demons, angels, prophecies, psychics, tned to fuck me up. I hate it but I must get over this phase of my deconversion. It's weird, I get over the idea of Hell, and am very comfortable in my atheism, and these things come up and they seem too unusual to not be true. Keyword seem. I thought after I had gotten over with the bible isn't true, Hell, etc.. part I was through with what if's, but unfortunately I'm wrong.

Hi Mick,

I can see how that would be freaky for you, especially with the supposed meaning of those numbers. I also have something like that happen to me often, though not to that extent.

My birthday is Sept. 26 and quite often when I look at the time it happens to be 9:26. Every time it happens I think, Oh wow I did it again. But of course I never take into account how many times I looked at the clock that day, or how many times I've glanced at the clock and it be, lets say, 4:18 or 5:30. Of course I could have caught those numbers many many more times than 9:26 but those numbers are of no significance and don't stand out.

There is one other thing I tend to do. I might mention a name of an old movie I liked or a movie I want to see and either that day, the next day or very very soon afterward I would be flipping though the channels and that movie is on! It happens so often even my mother had commented on it. I can't say if anything is supernatural or whatever, but I like to think it kinda makes life more interesting. :P

LOL

WHen I was a kid I was an agnostic Catholic. (My Born Again Experience was a 17 year Odyssey from age 22 to 39 in Evangelical FUndamentalist churches)

When I was a kid whenver I used to see a clock that read 12:34 I would make a "wish". It was even kind like a prayer. LOL WHen I was teen the wish became "Please let some hot woman come and take my virginty!" -true story

Hi Mick,

I can see how that would be freaky for you, especially with the supposed meaning of those numbers. I also have something like that happen to me often, though not to that extent.

My birthday is Sept. 26 and quite often when I look at the time it happens to be 9:26. Every time it happens I think, Oh wow I did it again. But of course I never take into account how many times I looked at the clock that day, or how many times I've glanced at the clock and it be, lets say, 4:18 or 5:30. Of course I could have caught those numbers many many more times than 9:26 but those numbers are of no significance and don't stand out.

There is one other thing I tend to do. I might mention a name of an old movie I liked or a movie I want to see and either that day, the next day or very very soon afterward I would be flipping though the channels and that movie is on! It happens so often even my mother had commented on it. I can't say if anything is supernatural or whatever, but I like to think it kinda makes life more interesting. :P

My sister-in-law has a 666 on half of her license plate- so don't freak out if you're driving way out in BFE Kansas. You've been warned.

I've never noticed particular numbers... but I have noticed the car thing. Every time I buy a different car- even a type that I've never noticed much before- I start seeing them all over the place. It's just pattern recognition- nothing to be concerned about.

My wife has also mentioned the thing about street lights turning off whenever she walks or drives by. Now that she's mentioned it- it's definitely true. Hell, I notice it all the time. :wicked:

I've actually tried to observe the law of fives for some time. The movie "Number 23" pissed me off because my observance of the law of fives made me eventually pick 23 as my favorite number because it appears so often in making the 5s. And, like all people who know the law of fives, I also recognize that my attention to it is what causes me to find the number everywhere. And the 666 and 777 thing is the same.

I used to work at a gas station. I worked nights. And I would average about 60-70 purchases a night. I never bothered to find out but it was probably pretty close to 66.6 purchases over time. A very slow store... and most people bought under $10 worth of stuff... and the sheer number of times I had $6.66 ring up (either as the original amount or the amount after tax) was astounding. Some people got really paranoid about it and insisted on buying something else or putting something back. But I never counted the number of times I saw $0.94 come up... which was probably one of our most common totals... and easily more common than 6.66 by a factor of 10.

I understand how you feel, Mick. I used to have the number problem as well.

I would always see "1111" and "911" everywhere. I would look at the clock at 9:11, then again at 11:11. I would wake up and it would be 9:11 in the morning. I read up a litte bit on the 11:11 phenomena and the website said I would soon start seeing 2:22, 3:33, etc. That very same night, I woke up at 2:22 in the morning. It scared the shit out of me.

I also had the license plate experience a few times. One time, a car pulled in front of me that had a 665 on its license plate. I thought "Ha, not close enough!" Then the next car I saw had a 666 on it. LOL.

I wouldn't worry about it man; its just coincidence. Try not to freak out too bad! :)

Mick,

It's not a big deal, bro. Listen, the most bizarre coincidences I can even imagine have happened to me and almost everyone I know, and they have all been in different contexts...not just surrounding Christianity or God. If all God can do to communicate with you is do the same parlor tricks that occur naturally all the time, then how little must he care about you?

If God loves you, and he is some specific thing, then surely he will do something productive instead of confusing and scaring you without telling you how to react.

One time I was at a concert and wanted some LSD, so I got down and prayed earnestly to God, "please, just this one thing, this one time, please" and no sooner had I done that than a fat guy in a cowboy hat walked by yelling "Acid, Acid" and I bought some. How crazy would it be to interpret that as God being real and wanting me to do drugs? So don't be crazy, just realize that coincidences, even freaky ones, are part of everyone's life, christian, atheist and other, and thus they can't possibly mean anything specific.

Also, 666 is not necessarily a biblical number. Many manuscripts have 616, scholars think because the "beast" was actually emperor Nero, whose name in hebrew adds up to either 666 or 616 depending on how you spell it. Also, 777 is clearly not a biblical number, either. It's all you.

Could it be that you are still looking for these coincidences in your life out of force of habit? I've known many, many Christians who have pegged every little coincidence as "proof" that their god exists and that the bible must be true. The human brain is wired to look for patterns. That is, among other things, how we learn certain things like language. Also, if you were in the habit of doing such a thing for a long time when you were in the church, it's probably just that. Old habits often die hard. And don't forget, the real number is 616, they found out. So 666 isn't supernatural at all. ;)

Seriously, I don't think it's any coincidence that you are still seeing coincidences. Hope that helps.

• 3 months later...
Could it be that you are still looking for these coincidences in your life out of force of habit? I've known many, many Christians who have pegged every little coincidence as "proof" that their god exists and that the bible must be true. The human brain is wired to look for patterns. That is, among other things, how we learn certain things like language. Also, if you were in the habit of doing such a thing for a long time when you were in the church, it's probably just that. Old habits often die hard. And don't forget, the real number is 616, they found out. So 666 isn't supernatural at all. ;)

Seriously, I don't think it's any coincidence that you are still seeing coincidences. Hope that helps.

I think so too. It's like when you buy a new car and all of a sudden there's the same make and model all over the place. Truth is they were always there, you just didn't see them before or didn't think anything of them.

Maybe it's a Linux thing? Ye shall chmod at 777 or 666. lol.

Seriously though, it's just pure coincidence. Or maybe it's a state conspiracy to try to get more Christian numbers into the license plates. If this hurts your deconversion, consider taking a vacation to another state. Or better still, another country. See if you keep running into the same phenomena. But ultimately, there is no god. If there were, he would be plaguing us all with this guilt. I'm not plagued by it. In fact, sometimes - I'm mildly amused by some of the stuff that happens in Christianity. Some of the stuff I fell into.