No More Mind Games...

Guest CerebralHypertrophy

Guest CerebralHypertrophy

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this site after lurking for a couple weeks. First and foremost, I'd like to tell you all that my life/existence makes more sense to me now, than it did when I held to the Christian faith. Even though I don't know how exactly we exist or why we exist (if there even is a purpose), Christianity had me doing mental gymnastics for about 5 years.

I became a Christian at age 15 and rigourously read the Bible, prayed, went to church, and constantly tried to do the "right" thing. I "understood" the basic tenants of the faith. I was vocal about my beliefs. Of course, college makes you think about things in a different way. You are exposed to more veiw points and learn to think critically/logically. I have always questions about the "tough questions" in Christianity and always assumed that it was beyond my understanding. The questions were always shirked when I brought them to a pastor or someone I saw as more mature in the "faith."

The entire idea of Christianity and its "tough questions" make sense when you realize that the whole damn thing is made up. Made up in the minds of men who were trying to justifty there actions and build a society that followed the rules (Old Testament). The New Testament makes more sense when looked at as a book that is ripped off from other pagan religious beliefs and a means for men to comfort there fear of death.

Here is the progression that I went through to go from a Christian that doubted and couldn't justify the tough questions...to someone that now thinks the entire religion is bullshit...

1. Online video called "Hasta La Vista Baby Jesus" 2. Watching George Carlin on Youtube

3. Watching Bill Maher on Youtube 4. Visting ex-christian.net 5. Watching videos by the Amazing Atheist, Brett Keane, Atheist Walking, etc. on Youtube 6. Godisimaginary.com discussion and videos 7. Discussing all this enlightenment with my college roomate and best friend who was and now is in the same boat as I am.

Theres a lot more to say and I will be posting on this site and reading as much as time permits, but I'll end with two things. I never intentionally sought out to prove my faith wrong, in fact, when I finally realized it is bull shit...I cried and felt extremely depressed. Denial of the faith was brought upon by hearing a lot of smart people talk about a vast compilation of ideas and being real with my mind. Secondly, the quote that best summarizes the way I feel at this point is by (I think) Carl Sagan...

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is, than to persist in delusion, no matter how satisfying and reassuring."

Peace

Hey CerebralHypertrophy,

I like your post alot and thank you for sharing it. You are fortunate to have a friend that is deconverting along side you. (I have at least one maybe 2 friends of over 10 years that are deconverting as well)

It was depressing on some levels for me. Especially due to family and marriage situation. However, overall, I feel like the universe is an infinately better place without Yahweh, the bastard.

The problem was I got converted by Campus Cruscade for Christ, and they would not let me find out Yahweh was a bastard right away.

You first get addicted to "relationship" with CHrist and the relationships with your new "brothers" and "sisters". It was FOUR GODDAM years before I actually read through the Old Test. By them I was already married to another "Born Again". I spent ten years burying my head in the sand. Every once in a while I would think about Hell and realize I did not believe it. Every once in a while I would think about Adam and Eve, Noah's Ark, the Tower of Babel, and realize I was secretly laughing. And of course when I EVER allowed my self to think about Yahweh's genecide, infanticide, stonings, etc, I would be totally sickened and shocked.

Finally, in my case I decided to be to be outwardly truthful. It was a 17 year experience, now with life long implications (Un-bending Fundy wife, 3 little children, etc)

The worst thing to me about Christianity is that otherwise normal, decent, potentially caring human beings, because they love "Jesus" are forced to defend genecide, baby slaughter, burning ppl alive, stoning children to death, etc.

Christianity truly sucks it big time. You are a very fortunate person. Your life is front of you. Think of the possibilities!? There is so much for you.

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on this site after lurking for a couple weeks. First and foremost, I'd like to tell you all that my life/existence makes more sense to me now, than it did when I held to the Christian faith. Even though I don't know how exactly we exist or why we exist (if there even is a purpose), Christianity had me doing mental gymnastics for about 5 years.

I became a Christian at age 15 and rigourously read the Bible, prayed, went to church, and constantly tried to do the "right" thing. I "understood" the basic tenants of the faith. I was vocal about my beliefs. Of course, college makes you think about things in a different way. You are exposed to more veiw points and learn to think critically/logically. I have always questions about the "tough questions" in Christianity and always assumed that it was beyond my understanding. The questions were always shirked when I brought them to a pastor or someone I saw as more mature in the "faith."

The entire idea of Christianity and its "tough questions" make sense when you realize that the whole damn thing is made up. Made up in the minds of men who were trying to justifty there actions and build a society that followed the rules (Old Testament). The New Testament makes more sense when looked at as a book that is ripped off from other pagan religious beliefs and a means for men to comfort there fear of death.

Here is the progression that I went through to go from a Christian that doubted and couldn't justify the tough questions...to someone that now thinks the entire religion is bullshit...

1. Online video called "Hasta La Vista Baby Jesus" 2. Watching George Carlin on Youtube

3. Watching Bill Maher on Youtube 4. Visting ex-christian.net 5. Watching videos by the Amazing Atheist, Brett Keane, Atheist Walking, etc. on Youtube 6. Godisimaginary.com discussion and videos 7. Discussing all this enlightenment with my college roomate and best friend who was and now is in the same boat as I am.

Theres a lot more to say and I will be posting on this site and reading as much as time permits, but I'll end with two things. I never intentionally sought out to prove my faith wrong, in fact, when I finally realized it is bull shit...I cried and felt extremely depressed. Denial of the faith was brought upon by hearing a lot of smart people talk about a vast compilation of ideas and being real with my mind. Secondly, the quote that best summarizes the way I feel at this point is by (I think) Carl Sagan...

"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is, than to persist in delusion, no matter how satisfying and reassuring."

Peace