Goodbye Jesus

Is it right to ban ... ?

webmdave

I think I once saw a Mythbusters episode that showed that people are actually more dangerous when driving and using a cellphone, then when tipsy. The few times I've tried to talk while driving have scared the hell out of me. I had no idea what I was doing.

Really? Wow. Something to consider for everyone. If I get a phone call in the car I usually start my conversation with "I'm in the car", and then I can make it short and just get the gist of what they want, and usually ask them to email me or text me the data I need instead of giving it to me over the phone - it's kind of hard to write something while driving and talking on the phone. :)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ouroboros

• Dave

• Vigile

• The Sage Nabooru

I think we mostly agree too. It's only minor differences and they really don't matter. :)

Minor differences only at color to the conversation. I don't worry about them.

But I do think that text messaging on your cell phone should be outlawed... and oops, I've done it myself... shame on me!

No me. I never talk on a cell phone while driving, nor do I text anyone. It would be pretty hard for me to do so anyway since I don't have a cell phone. :grin:

There is one thing I was thinking about when it comes to driving and safety and such, wouldn't be a more efficient step to demand higher requirements for a driving license? I mean, the test here in CA is a parody compared to the one I did in Sweden 20 years ago.....

We can agree on that. It should be much harder to get a license. Some time this summer I hope to be getting trained to teach drivers safety courses. I've taken so many myself that I could probably teach one now. The courses are required at work for anyone that drives a government vehicle. And they have to be taken every two years.

One doesn't have to be drunk to be stupid, that's for sure.

Some shouldn't be driving. I want to see annual testing for anyone over 65.

Yeah, I did a topic recently on a woman in her eighties or nineties who plowed into a local school and killed a little boy. Also another 98-year-old (literally) man hitting a gas station and blowing the damned thing up, killing/injuring several people.

My grandfather scares the shit out of me behind the wheel, I mentioned that in the topic too, long story but he rearended two seperate people on a single trip. The police know he's blacked out behind the wheel before, run into rocks and has fender benders on a regular basis nowadays. There's absolutely no shitting way he should be driving, but they let him. I guess they don't want to offend his antiquated concept of manhood (which is why he won't let my grandmother drive when they're together).

Once an elderly person has reached that point, it's time to take action. I don't think this state/country does that nearly enough. When you need to renew your license you have to prove you are capable of seeing and identifying road signs, that's pretty much it.

....Once an elderly person has reached that point, it's time to take action. I don't think this state/country does that nearly enough. When you need to renew your license you have to prove you are capable of seeing and identifying road signs, that's pretty much it.

It is a problem and one that needs attention. After a certain age there should be annual testing and that should include a driving test. They should be tough too. I also realize it is a horrible blow to an elderly person that has their license taken away. Driving is often their last bit of dignity left. It must be awful.... but it's for their protection and the protection of others. The money saved by society from a bit lower medical costs and such could be put into senior "taxis" or something to help them get around.

Oh I know it's all my grandfather's pride. They're not willing to take it away from him. I know he's a very proud guy. I love him to bits, but if he killed somebody, that would be unacceptable no matter how much I care for him.

That is a big argument with a lot of people, We don't want to take away a person's independence or self-respect if we take away their license. But when it's a matter of life and death (as it often is) I don't think personal pride should override the value of a life.

I know it would hurt my grandfather very, very much to lose his license. It would basically signal that this really is the beginning of the end. But I don't want to risk someone else losing their loved ones.

....I know it would hurt my grandfather very, very much to lose his license. It would basically signal that this really is the beginning of the end. But I don't want to risk someone else losing their loved ones.

It's hard on all involved. I, personally, would feel awful if an elderly person under my influence killed someone because of my inaction to get them to stop driving.

My grandparents made the decision themselves in their mid 70's. Our whole family took turns taking them places. Not everyone has it so easy or has some, if any, family support.