Bizarre Self Censorship

Amethyst

I was reading a fanfic, and the author had typed G-d but spelled out fucked. Seriously, that is whacked. How can someone type one but not the other? Surely a fundy would be afraid of both sending them to hell. Or if they're afraid of offending people, why not censor both words? And if they're not, why not spell them both out? :banghead:

I hate reading censored fics to begin with, but I wish people would at least be consistent if they are going to do it.

G-d but spelled out fucked

If it's as you have it here then it reads Jewish to me and could have simply been force of habit. :shrug:

mwc

I was also going to say it's Jewish practice not to write out the name of God. I don't know if all Jews adhere to this practice but some do. I've encountered it on various discussion forums and that was the explanation. The idea behind it is that God is too holy to mention by name. I don't really see the logic of it but most rules have an illogical side to them.

I hate reading censored fics to begin with, but I wish people would at least be consistent if they are going to do it.

There's probably nobody saying you have to read these books if you don't like them. But I understand your wish to know the logic behind it. Well, that's it, for what it's worth.

To some people, swear words are just words, but "God" is something they take genuinely umferance to.

genuinely umferance
Is that a word? Or do you mean umbrage? Just wondering.

I was also going to say it's Jewish practice not to write out the name of God. I don't know if all Jews adhere to this practice but some do. I've encountered it on various discussion forums and that was the explanation. The idea behind it is that God is too holy to mention by name. I don't really see the logic of it but most rules have an illogical side to them.

Um I'm pretty sure god's name isn't god.....

Yeah, I thought the Jewish name of god was Yahweh. God is just a generic term.

To some people, swear words are just words, but "God" is something they take genuinely umferance to.

Like my parents they say damn, fuck, shit all that all the time but the moment my dad snaps and says " God damn it!" that is totally forbidden. He used Gods fuckin name in fuckin vain. :Wendywhatever: My mom gets all angry at him (WHEN SHE CUSSES 10X MORE) and it is just the most hypocritical thing ever.

genuinely umferance

I looked it up in Answers.com and Webster's online dictionary. Both say: The word you've entered isn't in the dictionary.

QUOTE(Biggles7268 @ Mar 3 2007, 06:59 AM) post_snapback.gifQUOTEI was also going to say it's Jewish practice not to write out the name of God. I don't know if all Jews adhere to this practice but some do. I've encountered it on various discussion forums and that was the explanation. The idea behind it is that God is too holy to mention by name. I don't really see the logic of it but most rules have an illogical side to them.

Yeah, I thought the Jewish name of god was Yahweh. God is just a generic term.

That is why I worded it as I did. All the same, that spelling for God is used by people professing to be Jewish or even Jewish Christian and the reason they state is that in their religion it is inappropriate to say God's name.

I understand it isn't "Yahweh" either. However, how are we going to get people to tell us what they think God's name is if they consider it wrong to pronounce/spell out the name? Perhaps they will use whatever name their discussion partners use, but omit the vowels? Perhaps, since it indicates their God they will not spell it out whether or not it is the name they personally use. That is the best answer I can give at the moment.

Had I seen this of only one Jewish person, I might not give it so much weight. But it's consistent across individuals. And others who know Jews say this is the Jewish custom. I know a Jewish professor in the religious studies department at my school. If it's important maybe I could ask her.

I understand it isn't "Yahweh" either. However, how are we going to get people to tell us what they think God's name is if they consider it wrong to pronounce/spell out the name? Perhaps they will use whatever name their discussion partners use, but omit the vowels? Perhaps, since it indicates their God they will not spell it out whether or not it is the name they personally use. That is the best answer I can give at the moment.
As I understand, Yahweh is the most likely pronunciation of the tetragrammaton, which ancient Hebrews decided at some point that the name was too sacred to pronounce, and thus began replacing it in their writings with words such as Lord. Additionally, modern day people aren't sure if Yahweh is the absolute correct way to pronounce the term. How that idea jumped to the generic use of the term god, which was probably one of the replacements for YHWH in the beginning, I don't know.

As I understand, Yahweh is the most likely pronunciation of the tetragrammaton, which ancient Hebrews decided at some point that the name was too sacred to pronounce, and thus began replacing it in their writings with words such as Lord. Additionally, modern day people aren't sure if Yahweh is the absolute correct way to pronounce the term. How that idea jumped to the generic use of the term god, which was probably one of the replacements for YHWH in the beginning, I don't know.

Probably just happened when the Christians took over and began assimilating everyone into their way of thinking, even those who weren't Christian. Notice how most people in our culture have an image of god as an old man in the clouds, even those who don't believe.

genuinely umferance

Yikes, yes, that's what I meant. Too many nights without good sleep....

I used to read Cosmo, and could never figure out why they would give you great detail on how to fuck, but would still spell the word 'f***'.