Laughing At Myself

mick

I was thinking a little about all the energy spent by people (myself in the past of course included) discussing and debating, very seriously, the things; doctrines; laws; rules; philosophy, etc of a long collection of primitive writings, written by bizarre primitive people who never even saw technology approaching like that of a wheel barrel or even a "book" for that matter (scrolls anyone?). And this Bible talks about an Ark that 8 people got on with 2 of every single animal while the entire world was flooded with water. (And that rain NEVER fell before that time?) This book talks about the tower of Babel. It talks about punishing a woman if she grabs the testicles of her husband's assailant by cutting off her hand, etc ad nauseam.

I was finding the absurdity of a bunch of grown 21st century American adults, all sitting around at a “Scroll Study” and seriously discussing what the supposed All Powerful Supreme Being, Creator of the entire Cosmos meant when he talks about ripping apart a Ram, or the doctrine of Election, or when he says "If a man has sexual relations with an animal, you must kill the man, and you must kill the animal" (WTF?) or some other asinine thing in that book. (Like the entire contents of the Book of Revelation? Normal human beings we were, believing the Book of Revelation? Did that fucking seriously happen to me? us?)

Normal human beings we were, believing the Book of Revelation? Did that fucking seriously happen to me? us?)

It is truly amazing, eh.

It just goes to show that humanity, on the whole, is more willing to live in ignorance than truly explore the horizons of the mind and spirit.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a major part of the problem is God's. He claims (via the Bible) to have created us in his own image. In his image created he them, male and female....

We've got a problem right there. Is god male OR female? If neither or both, then how did he create humans in his image?

Most Judao-Christian pictures of God show god as a gray-bearded old man in the sky. I don't know where that image comes from. Revelation sure depicts a whole lot of other ideas. As also do other parts of the Bible. Moses' snake, for example--the brass serpent. People just had to look at it in faith and then they were healed of a certain plague. When enterprising god-making companies got wind of it and produced images of these healing snakes, god sent snakes to kill them--or some such terrible thing. In the end the original brass serpent had to be destroyed because it was put on display in the Tabernacle or somewhere and people began worshiping a piece of brass rather than god.

This raises another idea in my brain. The cross Catholics wear. Isn't that a bit like the snakes the ancient Israelites worshiped? Both Jesus and the brass snake were put on sticks or trees or some kind of wooden torture tool. To this day, Christians consider it a great symbol. Can anyone prove whether it is the crucifix or Jesus that is being worshiped? What about the crosses put on churches as decoration? Or maybe it's not for decoration but to a Mennonite growing up in a meetinghouse with nothing but bare white plaster walls, aluminum siding, and a shingled roof it sure looks like decoration.

So anyway, we're back to deciding whether or not god exists and that is what started all the laughing. Seems I got lured off track....Well, these's no two ways about it--Christians come up with all kinds of ideas about what god wants them to do. Part of this includes belief that god exists.