Goodbye Jesus

The Transaction Costs Of Life Are Soaring

nivek

>Posters note: Not so little by lots our once freedoms to go where we want when we desire are whittled away. All too soon our precious Freedom from the "rest of the World" and 'Papers Please' will be forgotton.

I fear that my son will inherit a world where the camera is the norm and Freedom is an Orwellian word that none will remember.

kFL<

The transaction costs of life are soaring

WendyMcElroy.Com

by Wendy McElroy

"One of the myriad benefits of knowing the late Great Murray Rothbard is being able to view political developments in economic terms. Thus, one of the first phrases that came to mind when a friend recently vented to me over the phone was 'transaction cost.' He is/was used to crossing the Canadian-US border with ease and frequency in order to visit friends and family up here. However, in January new procedures came into force by which US police and court records on American citizens are being shared with Canadian customs agents, and vice versa. My friends problem: a DUI for which he was denied entry. It didn't matter how old the DUI was nor that it was a one-time offense. A DUI is now one of the minor infractions which can cause a de facto iron curtain to fall across the Canadian-US border; other infractions include possession of marijuana (perhaps in the '70s), possession of a medical marijuana card, shoplifting, an arrest for attending a peace rally or even an ill-conceived prank." (03/13/07)

http://www.wendymcelroy.com/news.php?extend.761

Yes Nivek, something we can definitely agree on.

Transaction costs are soaring and some aspects of government are growing way too big.

Don't worry... once that humongonormous national debt crushes your government's back, government will shrink.

Patience Nivek... it won't be long.

Mongo

You forgot to mention the rather glaring side-effect that said economic crash will have a much bigger effect on yonder humble citizenry than it will on those at the wheel of our precipice-bound coporatocracy.

Personally, I'm doing all I can to get the hell out of this hand-basket before it catches fire.

Scary Niv. Before long an American will need to apply for permission to leave. I have no desire to go back.

Woody, see my post Here.

Thanks, HD. I replied, and may well take you up on that offer once I've got the means.

Before long an American will need to apply for permission to leave. I have no desire to go back.

I'm just hoping against all odds "before long" won't arrive until I've made good my getaway.

I think the odds are still on your side Woody. Don't make a bad decision just because the political climate looks bad. It's still a long ways away from your worst fears.

You're probably right. In all honesty, I'm speaking as much out of impatience as fear anymore. Yeah, I'm worried about the direction political events are taking, but I'm not on board with the immediate doomsayers. Bringing the pot to a slow boil is the only way to accomplish the kind of things which make up my hysterical political nightmares. The cook can't just crawl to the halfway point then pull out all the stops, as even if the frog has been sitting peacefully thus long it will notice the sudden shift in temperature and react accordingly. It's got to be slow and steady all the way to the point of critical mass.

More to the point, I'm just ready for a big change in scenery. College has seen to the personal side of things by bringing me out of my shell, teaching me new things and expanding my horizons immensely (despite this being only my second semester therein), now I'm hungry for the same kind of new experiences and stimulations in a more tangible way. Just like the week between the operation and getting the results of my pathology report, waiting is the worst part.