Goodbye Jesus

Yippee! I'm An Ex-catholic

Cliff Dweller

I've done it at last - formally resigned by writing to my priest and withdrawing from my church activities. I feel so good!

On a previous thread I told how I went back to the church and got involved in organising some prayer groups. Crazy, but I thought it might help get my faith back. It didn't. I thought I'd try and see the project through because I'd committed to it and didn't want to let people down. Last Sunday I stood up in church and encouraged people to come to the groups (an Oscar-winning performance). On Tuesday evening I sat around and emoted about how the Gospel had affected me. But it was all one big lie - and in the end I couldn't stand the play-acting, the strain of pretending to believe it all. You can't do that much violence to yourself.

I haven't had a reply yet off my priest and the other prayer group leader, and I'm a bit scared about that. But I'll get over it, whatever.

This time I know I've finally made it. It just feels different to the last (2!) times I've tried to quit - I'm looking forward to doing new things, to meeting new people. Most of all to having a free mind after 20 years of thought control.

Freedom here I come!

hooray! good for you! don't give up.. i have found this to be a big learning experience with its fair share of tough times, but it's worth it. :)

From one ex-catholic to another - congrats :)

Don't be scared of what the priest may say, assuming he's got the grapes to say anything at all. The Dark Ages are over and no priest can send you to the gallows or call the Inquisitors on you. All he can do is try to make you see his point of view, or just accept your position and ignore you.

It's all good :)

Congrats!!! We're here for ya. :)

Congrats!!! We're here for ya. :)

Last Sunday I stood up in church and encouraged people to come to the groups (an Oscar-winning performance). On Tuesday evening I sat around and emoted about how the Gospel had affected me. But it was all one big lie - and in the end I couldn't stand the play-acting, the strain of pretending to believe it all. You can't do that much violence to yourself.

Oh boy, I was doing the same thing only a couple weeks before I officially resigned. Honesty really does take a backseat to image in Christianity.