Goodbye Jesus

People Never Change

R. S. Martin

The parts in square brackets are my insertions. What happens when we insert "fundy" for "fool"?

8 Whoever builds his house [church?] with other people's money

is like one who gathers stones for his burial mound.

14 The mind of a fool is like a broken jar; it can hold no knowledge.

[so this is not a new phenomenon?]

15 When an intelligent person hears a wise saying, he praises it and adds to it; when a fool hears it, he laughs at it and throws it behind his back. 16 A fool's chatter is like a burden on a journey, but delight is found in the speech of the intelligent. 17 The utterance of a sensible person is sought in the assembly [town council?], and they ponder his words in their minds. Sirach 21

What do you think? This was written several thousand years ago and describes what we encounter every day. Will people never change?

What do you think? This was written several thousand years ago and describes what we encounter every day. Will people never change?

Not unless you force them, or so it seems. :Hmm:

The parts in square brackets are my insertions. What happens when we insert "fundy" for "fool"?

15 When an intelligent person hears a wise saying, he praises it and adds to it; when a fool hears it, he laughs at it and throws it behind his back. 16 A fool's chatter is like a burden on a journey, but delight is found in the speech of the intelligent. 17 The utterance of a sensible person is sought in the assembly [town council?], and they ponder his words in their minds. Sirach 21

I think it's an interesting contrast to the current fundy attitude towards people who are evil enough to argue with facts. :scratch:

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's an interesting contrast to the current fundy attitude towards people who are evil enough to argue with facts. :scratch:

Maybe I need to elaborate because I think it describes the minds of people who will argue with facts. See V. 14. Mind is like a broken jar. Won't hold any knowledge. Facts are knowledge in my book. I'm sure the writer meant something else because the context was different but I think it can be made to apply today.

V. 15. I find intelligent people are willing to discuss ideas that come up--when they hear it they praise it and add to it.

V. 16. Foolish talk gets burdensome for me; it's so boring it can bring on a migraine. Whereas intelligent conversation and discussion tends to give me energy.

V. 17. People tend to seek the advice of intelligent people and they will talk about it and think about it.

At least, that is the way it works in an oral society where information overload does not exist, where wise and learned words are few and far between.

Maybe I need to elaborate because I think it describes the minds of people who will argue with facts. See V. 14. Mind is like a broken jar. Won't hold any knowledge. Facts are knowledge in my book. I'm sure the writer meant something else because the context was different but I think it can be made to apply today.

V. 15. I find intelligent people are willing to discuss ideas that come up--when they hear it they praise it and add to it.

V. 16. Foolish talk gets burdensome for me; it's so boring it can bring on a migraine. Whereas intelligent conversation and discussion tends to give me energy.

V. 17. People tend to seek the advice of intelligent people and they will talk about it and think about it.

At least, that is the way it works in an oral society where information overload does not exist, where wise and learned words are few and far between.

Sorry, let me clarify. My original post was a poor attempt at a joke. What I meant was fundies consider people who use facts to support their arguments evil. It's like the old canard, "Don't confuse me with facts!!!!!"