Why I Am No Longer Christian...

LosingMyReligion

I posted this before but it vanished into thin air(I think it was a website glitch). Anyway, I have this assignment that I am going to do for my speech communications course. It is a "speech of Conviction." We have to give a speech about something we feel strongly about. Right now I feel very strongly about my deconversion from Christianity.

Well, my question is can anyone here give me any good contradictory Bible quotes like...

1.) Quotes that show how good god ISN'T...

2.) Quotes that show how evil he is...

3.) and scriptures that just show how bogus x-tianity is...

Right now I have checked out books by Sam Harris, Carl Sagan, and Richard Dawkins to gather famous quotations, but can you give me anymore famous atheists/agnostics/freethinker quotes and beliefs that I can use?

Thanks! :)

"Letter to A Christian Nation" by Harris is short and has all the arguments in it. Another fantastic book is "Atheism: The Case Against God" by George H. Smith. In my opinion, the latter is the best book on the subject.

In On the Genealogy of Morals Friedrich Nietzche talks a lot about how Christianity is a religion of hate, not love. And Bertrand Russell has some good things to say in Why I Am Not a Christian. You may also want to look into the British philosopher Iris Murdoch, who believed that we don't need some supreme being to find goodness and morality.

You might also talk about the ideas that were stolen from greek philosophy and culture. For instance, the gospel of John took Plato's ideas (in Republic) about light and darkness and applied them to Jesus. Here's a link to the Allegory of the Cave. Of course, I was reading this for a philosophy class during my deconversion and realized that the cave applied much better to Christianity while the light was reason and truth. I think you'll know what I mean when you read it. I'm not sure when you deconverted, but if you were in an evangelical church in the last 5 years you've probably heard The Matrix used as an allegory for Christianity; well, it's totally based on Plato's ideas.

I really think that the best critique of Christianity comes from the Socratic/Platonic religious opinions. Unfortunately, neither Celsus, Porphyry (ex-Christian), or Emperor Julian (ex-Christian) could bring people back to their senses. Christianity as a social movement is just too powerful among people with poor morals and low intelligence. The best place to understand the Socratic/Platonic religious conscience is the book "Socrates: Ironist and Moral Philosopher" by Gregory Vlastos, and "The Religion of Socrates" by Mark Mcpherran.

This may sound crazy but another good person to read, would be...NO KIDDING, Gene Simmons of the Rock Group KISS. He is a lawyer and has written some books. He has had some interesting things to say about Religion and Christianity in general.

You know, he does offer a very cool vibe. I've watched The Family Jewels quite a few times, and I can't believe how impressed I was by Gene Simmons. It's nice to know he's written some books.

Oh, and his family is just beautiful. Oh my.....

LMR, I understand one of the things you're asking for is Bible verses that show God as being other than good. The first that comes to mind is the story about Sodom and Gomorrah. Another horror story is where Elija or Elisha (I forget which one) sent she-bears to kill the kids who called him baldy. I can see why he would have felt like doing that but most of us can only wish. Because of his inside connection with god he could make it happen. So I guess it was god who did it rather than the prophet.

There's also the verse frequently quoted on here where God says "I create good and I create evil." I don't know where to find it. Then there's the verses that say people will go to hell for their sexual orientation--I think that's about as evil as you can get. First god makes the person this way, then he condemns them to burn for eternity for being this way. If the creator of the universe needed more fuel he should have made more trees instead of so many deserts (whether hot or cold) that sustain little or no plant life.

Thanks everyone!

I have another question...

What is the precise verse that states, "Only the fool says there is no god..." or something to that effect. I am going to use it as the opening line to my presentation.

Anyway, I have checked out several atheist books and started my rough draft. I'll be taking all suggestions listed here. Thanks again guys. :)

What is the precise verse that states, "Only the fool says there is no god..." or something to that effect. I am going to use it as the opening line to my presentation.

Add this link to your list: http://www.biblegateway.com/

Psalm 14:1 & Psalm 53:1

You could quote parts of the bible itself (assuming I am understanding what you are asking).

I never read the bible, but I am under the impression that god asked Abraham to sacrifice his first born son?

Or what's the one about the guy who turned over his slave girl to be gang-raped until she was dead, then when he found her body on the porch the next day, he cut her into pieces and sent bits of her to all the various leaders of Israel at the time?

What the hell was THAT story all about? :twitch:

That he did to "test" Abraham. Why god needed a test to find out if this man was loyal is a mystery since god supposedly knows all things.

Uh.... I was told their god chooses not to know some things. I asked how the god knew what it didn't want to know. The reply; "You just don't understand."

Or what's the one about the guy who turned over his slave girl to be gang-raped until she was dead, then when he found her body on the porch the next day, he cut her into pieces and sent bits of her to all the various leaders of Israel at the time?

Oh I thought that was about LOT and his daughters...Or am I getting one story confused? Anyway a gang of thugs wanted to rape the two guys(angels)he invited in his house. So lot, being the god fearing man he is, offers his daughters to the gang to be raped all night long. So finding out they had been raped he murders and dismembers her...

Now that is really a fucked up and sadistic story.

So I'll definitely be using that one! :)

You need some New Testament stuff too. Make a chart of the miracles in the NT. On the lift side list several miracles, example the insanity he sent into a flock of pigs. Then across list the details according to each of the authors, the numbers of pigs etc. The stories do not match up.

Oh I thought that was about LOT and his daughters...Or am I getting one story confused? Anyway a gang of thugs wanted to rape the two guys(angels)he invited in his house. So lot, being the god fearing man he is, offers his daughters to the gang to be raped all night long. So finding out they had been raped he murders and dismembers her...

Now that is really a fucked up and sadistic story.

So I'll definitely be using that one! :)

Lot's daughters were not raped, he simply offered them. The crowd refused. There's another story (at least) with the very similar premise of a priest visiting a man, though I don't remember the mans name. In this one, the mans daughter and the priests concubine are raped, so that's probably it.

God (who is also Jesus) didn't answer this prayer from Jesus (who is also god):

John 14:20

"My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me. 22I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one: 23I in them and you in me. May they be brought to complete unity to let the world know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.

Lot's daughters were not raped, he simply offered them. The crowd refused. There's another story (at least) with the very similar premise of a priest visiting a man, though I don't remember the mans name. In this one, the mans daughter and the priests concubine are raped, so that's probably it.

That's right. The rape in this story came later when Lot and his daughters were living in a cave. The daughters got him drunk and had sex with him while he was asleep. Today, that's called rape.