Know Your Propaganda Techniques

chefranden

After busting loose from the shackles of religious delusion, it's a good idea to realize that the church is not the only deceiver out there. With that in mind, here is how "they" get ya!

During the period between World Wars I and II, the now-defunct Institute for Propaganda Analysis (IPA) developed a list of common rhetorical techniques used for propaganda purposes.

Defunct because they perfected their techniques? Or perhaps they privatized and now go by the names CNN, FOX, NBC, NYT, WP, etc...

Yesterday I was watching CNN, something I didn’t have access to in Russia, as the reporter listed the highlights of the last 4 years in Iraq. Interestingly she invoked the phrase "good verses evil" as she summed up. It’s this type of subtlety that taints the views of an entire nation. Objectivity and the American press fit nicely together the way all oxymorons do.

Interestingly she invoked the phrase "good verses evil" as she summed up. It’s this type of subtlety that taints the views of an entire nation. Objectivity and the American press fit nicely together the way all oxymorons do.

I'm trying to get what you're saying here. Is "verses" in "good verses evil" intentional, or is it a typo? Normally we say "good versus evil." "Verses" normally means different verses in a song or poem.

I wondered for awhile why the naming of the Department of Homeland Security creeps me out so much. "Homeland"??? Why "Homeland"? Why not "National" or even "American"?

Last night I watched Triumph of the Will, and was powerfully reminded why they chose the word "Homeland" after all.

I was very fortunate to be exposed to the concept of media literacy in Jr. High. It has gone a long way toward making me question mass media. I think the ability and motivation to question and doubt needs to be taught to young people or else they are in danger of believing everything they are exposed to in our sensory-overloaded world.

I wondered for awhile why the naming of the Department of Homeland Security creeps me out so much. "Homeland"??? Why "Homeland"? Why not "National" or even "American"?

Last night I watched Triumph of the Will, and was powerfully reminded why they chose the word "Homeland" after all.

Homeland... Fatherland...

...Sieg Heil :banghead:

Homeland... Fatherland...

...Sieg Heil :banghead:

Yup, I noticed that right away the first time I heard the government use the word "homeland'. Nazi Germany=Fatherland, Soviet Union=Motherland, USA=Homeland. What a line up. *gulp*