Goodbye Jesus

Leviticus Chapter 12

mick

Why is the unclean period longer if the baby is a girl?

Leviticus chapter 12

And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

2 Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean.

3 And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised.

4 And she shall then continue in the blood of her purifying three and thirty days; she shall touch no hallowed thing, nor come into the sanctuary, until the days of her purifying be fulfilled.

5 But if she bear a maid child, then she shall be unclean two weeks, as in her separation: and she shall continue in the blood of her purifying threescore and six days.

6 And when the days of her purifying are fulfilled, for a son, or for a daughter, she shall bring a lamb of the first year for a burnt offering, and a young pigeon, or a turtledove, for a sin offering, unto the door of the tabernacle of the congregation, unto the priest:

7 Who shall offer it before the LORD, and make an atonement for her; and she shall be cleansed from the issue of her blood. This is the law for her that hath born a male or a female.

8 And if she be not able to bring a lamb, then she shall bring two turtles, or two young pigeons; the one for the burnt offering, and the other for a sin offering: and the priest shall make an atonement for her, and she shall be clean.

Don't ya know that God thinks little girls are icky?

Da gawd almighty in his infinite wisdom knows that females are dirtier......

Just more bullshit from a bronze/iron age group of goat herders.

Because the people who made up Yahweh were misogynist asshats.

I read a book that suggested that the biblical period came not long after a long period of polytheistic goddess worship where women were the holy representatives of those goddesses. Gradually, men took over the rituals of male deities, but those deities were still not as important as the female deities.

The turning point where the female deities were subjugated by the male deities was presented as very much a political struggle that coincided with the advent of farming and herding when humans began to realize the role that the male animals played in reproduction and that it applied to humans as well. When the men finally wrested the control of the supernatural from the divine feminine, they made sure they kept that control by demonizing all things feminine and/or female and exhalting all things masculine and male.

Why any woman would be a Christian is beyond me. Maybe they just skip over the misogynist parts of the Bible...Which essentially means they don't read it period.

Why any woman would be a Christian is beyond me. Maybe they just skip over the misogynist parts of the Bible...Which essentially means they don't read it period.

Kind of why like gays or Jews would be Xian, despite all the parts of the Babble that go against them. It's full of anti-gay verses, and the entire character of Jebus is in extreme conflict with the Old Testament qualifications for what the Messiah™ would be like.

Then again, Jebus is depicted as having said he only came for the "lost sheep" of Israel, ie, the Jews, so why non-Jews would want to be Xians is just as confusing.

But, as said, evidently Yahooweh thinks girls have cooties, hence Leviticus 12 :HaHa:

This reminds me of a time I was debating a fundie online. He quoted this verse as "proof" that the bible was scientificly acurate, because, in his words, "A baby's blood does not begin to clot untill 8 days after birth. This is why you wait 8 days to circumcise a baby." So, of course, this proved that Yahweh created the universe!!!

My reply was that I had never heard of a baby's blood not clotting as soon as they were born, and doubted his claim (I still do, but never bothered to check it out). But even if I gave him the benifit of the doubt and assumed clotting begins on the 8th day, 8 days is not a long period of time, and this could have been discovered by trial and error over a period of time and several children.

As you can guess, this was skirted around and never answered.

God commanded that men and women be fruitful and multiply, so why is giving birth a sin??

"and a young pigeon, or a turtledove, for a sin offering,"

First you have the need to do more time for a girl, cuz yeah they are just so much dirtier, but then, when a woman does what was supposedly commanded of her it puts her in a place where she has to give a sin offering.. why? This was one of the questions that moved me out of the chutrch, I've never gotten a good answer for it.

• 2 weeks later...
This reminds me of a time I was debating a fundie online. He quoted this verse as "proof" that the bible was scientificly acurate, because, in his words, "A baby's blood does not begin to clot untill 8 days after birth. This is why you wait 8 days to circumcise a baby." So, of course, this proved that Yahweh created the universe!!!

My reply was that I had never heard of a baby's blood not clotting as soon as they were born, and doubted his claim (I still do, but never bothered to check it out). But even if I gave him the benifit of the doubt and assumed clotting begins on the 8th day, 8 days is not a long period of time, and this could have been discovered by trial and error over a period of time and several children.

As you can guess, this was skirted around and never answered.

Vitamin K which is important for clotting function is produced by the flora of the gut which a newborn isn't going to have. My retort to the above however would be: if God created humans, why would he encode a foreskin in the DNA only to ask that it be cut off days after birth?

Did you know that even today anesthetics aren't used for circumcision because of the risk to the baby?

Guest tomorrowshorizon

Oh, and Leviticus 12 isn't even the beginning of the misogyny.

Take these, for instance:

From 1 Timothy:

2:11-13 Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman was deceived and became a transgressor.

Ephesians 5:18, 22-24:

Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the savior of the body. Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

1 Peter 3:1-6:

Likewise, ye wives, be in subjection to your own husbands; that, if any obey not the word, they also may without the word be won by the conversation of the wives.

1 Corinthians 11:3

But I would have you know, that the head of every man is Christ; and the head of the woman is the man; and the head of Christ is God.

Judges 19:22-29:

As they were enjoying themselves, suddenly certain men of the city, perverted men, surrounded the house and beat on the door. They spoke to the master of the house, the old man, saying, “Bring out the man who came to your house, that we may know him carnally!”

But the man, the master of the house, went out to them and said to them, “No, my brethren! I beg you, do not act so wickedly! Seeing this man has come into my house, do not commit this outrage. Look, here is my virgin daughter and the man’s concubine; let me bring them out now. Humble them, and do with them as you please; but to this man do not do such a vile thing!” But the men would not heed him. So the man took his concubine and brought her out to them. And they knew her and abused her all night until morning; and when the day began to break, they let her go.

Then the woman came as the day was dawning, and fell down at the door of the man’s house where her master was, till it was light.

When her master arose in the morning, and opened the doors of the house and went out to go his way, there was his concubine, fallen at the door of the house with her hands on the threshold. And he said to her, “Get up and let us be going.” But there was no answer. So the man lifted her onto the donkey; and the man got up and went to his place.

When he entered his house he took a knife, laid hold of his concubine, and divided her into twelve pieces, limb by limb, and sent her throughout all the territory of Israel.

((And those are the *GOOD* guys... <_<))

For more, see here: http://www.cybercollege.com/antiwoman.htm

As for how women can be Christian...I posted this neat little set of anti-women verses on a Christian Feminist Facebook group, and the answer I received was (in its entirety):

"How do you reconcile these verses with feminism?"

Brief answer: Context. Context in Scripture as well as cultural context.

The Judges passage is not encouraging or condoning gang rape and dismemberment. It's reporting it. The epistle passages are harder to reconcile, but I believe them to be addressing specific problems within the churches they were written to.

The man as the head of the woman is a hard one, but when you think about it, it wouldn't be encouraging male domination. Christ is the head of the man. Christ died for the man. Christ loves the man unconditionally. The man should do the same for the woman (well, he can't die for her soul, but I think you can get the point).

I have some Christian feminist friends, too, and they all seem to brush it off as "cultural context" too...ah, cognitive dissonance!

The gist of such rules and regulations could probably be in part an attempt to degrade and demean that which is perfectly natural and good.

On the other hand, I have little doubt that similar rites surrounding birth existed in all primitive cultures. So, on the whole, I imagine it is just a way of marking the event of birth. However, the specifics clearly incorporate fear, superstition and lack of understanding, and attempt to sully the good and natural.

The man as the head of the woman is a hard one, but when you think about it, it wouldn't be encouraging male domination.

So in other words, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck, but you'd rather it were a goose - then you say it's a goose.

The apologetic gymnastics required to justify Biblical misogyny was one of the many things that drove me out of the faith. I just couldn't twist myself in enough knots to figure out any way that I could be true to myself as a woman and a human, and still remain a Xian. If I kept believing, I would have had to spend my lifetime despising myself for being exactly what I cannot help but be: female.

I couldn't live with that. I don't know how anybody can, but I guess a lot of women have figured out how to twist a lie into some strange semblance of truth.