Goodbye Jesus

Teens 4 Christ

Markkasan

Just got banned for challenging Bro. Randy on vegetarianism, of all things. He apparently thinks it's a sin not to eat meat. Also, I caught him in his hypocrisy in his defense of the Iraq war and called him out on it. He said he supported the war to get rid of Saddam Hussein, yet he thinks sending aid to Darfur is a terrible idea.

Maybe Bro. Randy is just exploiting Poe's law. Like he isn't really a fundie, only a clever troll in disguise. I mean, nobody can be this nuts.....right?

Yeah, I find it amazing, also. A lot of factors must've had a hand in it, such as the overall ignorance of humans at the time to the facts of nature and science, ignorance of the details of Xian dogma, and the ease therefore with which ideas like eternal torment could incite fear and obedience.

But looking at it from a few years as an ex-xian, Xianity looks very bizarre. Observing Xians during Palm Sunday really made me think of that this weekend. People forcing themselves into a building once or more a week, singing praises to an intolerant and demanding god, accepting the idea that they are shit without this god's favor, and that this being somehow controls the entire world yet they have to ask him hundreds of times to get a singel request answered - it truly looks like insanity. For my part, I cannot believe I spent so many years practicing that trash.

I think also that it does kinda offer an easy way out. In a way. The rest of the religions on earth generally stress that one should follow one's own path to discover who they really are, in relation to deity. There's that stress on deeper philosophical questions. You pave your own road to heaven. Or perhaps simply yourself being your own priest to your own God, with no middle-man in between. For a lot of people it's challenging to face that kind of spirituality themselves.

Whereas with Christianity and Islam, it's just: Believe. Don't think for yourself, just do as we tell you. And if you believe you're saved. That's all there is to it. None of this esoteric introspection, no discovering your purpose or any other kind of "deep" thinking. Just get dunked in water, or just follow the law, and that's it, no further effort neccessary. In fact if you try to think of anything greater than that you're asking for big trouble.

Sad as it is, a lot of people in this world really hate thinking for themselves. It's too much trouble, raises too many questions within, wastes too much time just.......thinking. They feel a lot more comfortable having other people just figure it out for them and then swallow the "justification by faith" in order to have as few doubts and spiritual tribulation as possible.

Whereas with Christianity and Islam, it's just: Believe. Don't think for yourself, just do as we tell you.

[...]

Sad as it is, a lot of people in this world really hate thinking for themselves.

Yup. It's a lazy fuckers' cult. One for those who can't stomach anything with more options than yes/no, black/white, good/evil, us/them, et cetera ad nauseam.

And let's not forget that many people love to think they're simply better than Them™. The abrahamic cults lend an easy and (due to its divine™ origin) inassaultable justification for that to their slaves. As we can all see in the insane hatemongering of your standard homo idioticus (= fundie).

I think also that it does kinda offer an easy way out. In a way.

So very true. The Abrahamic cults stress obedience and "faith" so very much, and in doing so offer that shortcut to spiritual and intellectual happiness. All you have to do is believe it and defend it without question. You'll win a powerful god's favor in doing so, and will even get to be elevated over those who don't accept it. That really appeals to a lot of people, even otherwise good folks, and certainly must figure into why this demented cult gained so much acceptance in earlier times.

Other religions simply ask too much work. You must be more self-sufficient in other religions, and aren't spoon-fed or just told to obey. You have to figure out many things on your own, and this doesn't appeal to a lot of people. Just like freethinking, following most non-Xian religions is too much effort for many, and they rely on their Abrahamic propaganda instead. Sad, indeed :(

• 5 months later...

I work with youth who are all at least tangentially connected to a fundy church. The fact is that shit-holes like Mr. Ross' site are the domain of mind-fuckers who have to bombard their junior sheeple with all their BS rhetoric before they turn 18 and go to college and learn about fun shit like paradox and the existence of good inclinations within people other than fundies. Reading the fucking zombie-drivel of any of these brainwashed kids is like the idea of actually meeting the little Child Of The Corn from the "Jesus Camp" documentary. Scary as fuck and profoundly sad at the same time.

The kids I work with are vehemently and outspokenly dissatisfied with fundy Xtian BS. They see, for the most part, right through the fucking hypocrisy. The few shreds of nominal Xtianity they purport to believe are really no more than lip service to their folks who would shit a skyscraper if they imagined that little Johnny/Sally were thinking for themselves instead of getting Stepfordized by degrees.

Mr. Ross (in case you ever cruise by after arrogantly Googling yourself to see who gives a shit for your loony purple-kool-aid Jonestowny bomb-shelter of a website):

FUCK YOU. It is the jack-booted, dominionist neo-Nazi assholes like you who obscure anything good and beneficial that your "Jesus" ever said or did. Your fucked-up "crusade" is all so you can have your Orwellian Big-Brother wet dream come to life. You are a sorry, pathetic piece of shit and your fucking hate/propaganda is, in the words of your Jesus, making these kids "two-fold more the child of hell" than you.

I think also that it does kinda offer an easy way out. In a way. The rest of the religions on earth generally stress that one should follow one's own path to discover who they really are, in relation to deity. There's that stress on deeper philosophical questions. You pave your own road to heaven. Or perhaps simply yourself being your own priest to your own God, with no middle-man in between. For a lot of people it's challenging to face that kind of spirituality themselves.

Sage, THANK YOU! I have realized xtians were ignorant and lazy for years, but I never thought to compare them to Eastern religions in this way before! I feel I understand this syndrome a bit better now, like I have a bit of better understanding as to WHY they are ignorant and lazy.

Now I just need to try and understand why people want to take the easy way out. Ever since I learned to read, I get high when I learn something new. I got a little buzz from the revelation I got in your post. Why isn't everyone curious about the world?

On the side track of just how the hell Abrahamic religions became so wide-spread:

It can be summed up in one word: coercion. By sword, by gun, by withholding aid, or good old bait-and switch, they are the ultimate bad-faith dealers. And let's not forget Hell.

As for the crazy that is T4C. Thanks for letting me know that I have no need to go there. I get an excess of insane in my diet from work and my friends already, don't need to scout out another rich vein like that.