Goodbye Jesus

I Feel Like An Idiot

xandermac

I walked out of Walmart and found some jesus material on my car window. For some reason it just really pissed me off more than usual. It said something about "Who is Jesus" and go to The Living Blah Blah Church and here pastor Blah Blah....

I saw this young guy about 25 sticking these things on peoples car windows. I drove up and started screaming at him to stop putting garbage on windows, He started to tell me about how jesus got him off drugs and I start going DUH! I called him a poor brainwashed something I can't remember, I hope it wasn't bastard..I can't swear to it. I feel Like such an asshole. :loser: I was doing exactly what I hate about fundies. Keep in mind I'm a menopausal woman turning the big five O this week. It was like an out of body experience. I called my son who's been an exC longer than me. He said I was still in the anger stage. I still wish I hadn't done it. I looked like a fool. But I do kinda smile when I think about the testimony he'll give Wednesday night about staring down Satan face to face at Walmart. :grin:

post-2065-1174970773_thumb.jpg

Well, I did something similar some years ago. I was sitting outside a restaurant, drinking a glass of wine, smoking a cigar, and a lady walks up with a pamphlet and tries to sell Jesus to me, and I give her a big chunk of my opinions and after 10 minutes she left me... crying. Poor persecuted Christian, she probably went to her pastor to get some comfort.

I still react like a fire breathing dragon when a Christian knocks at my door, harrangues me on the street, puts Jesus-crap on my car or otherwise invades my privacy. I don't know if I'll ever "get over it." I feel like anyone, whether it be a JW or a vacuum cleaner salesman, intrudes on me is not deserving of anything other than a cold "Please remove yourself from my property." If they insist, so do I...in progressively louder tones...along with smoke and other rumblings.

I'm glad I didn't answer the door yesterday. Some Jehovah Witness came by twice! Finally, I looked in the mailbox and found a stupid pamphlet. I trashed it without reading it.

I'm glad I didn't answer the door yesterday. Some Jehovah Witness came by twice! Finally, I looked in the mailbox and found a stupid pamphlet. I trashed it without reading it.

You could have pressed charges; it's a federal offense to open someone else's mailbox.

Poor persecuted Christian, she probably went to her pastor to get some comfort.

Makes me wonder what kind of comfort she could be running to receive, and how many members has any pastor of any church managed to screw off with regarding the guise of "comfort", "obedience", "teaching", or any other method of Christian brainwashing there may be.

As for you xandermac, there's really no reason to feel so bad- the kid pissed you off by forcing his Jesus to stick to your car; but it sounds to me like you gave the kid a taste of what he deserved. He has no right to litter, or spread religious shit in such a way. I would have no doubt made some large, sarcastic comment and laughed in his face.

So if it helps, I'm no better on the asshole scale.

These posts make me feel better for screaming at my sister (elsewhere referred to as jesus sister) over the phone. It's the kind of thing you don't want to do again but it feels good to know you're not the only jerk on the planet.

I was coming back from breakfast this morning when I found a Christian propaganda leaflet. Zero to rage in 0.6 seconds, crumpled it up and trashed it. This happened in a fairly busy hallway at a local medical facility, but if someone noticed me do it, BFD.

Now, if I had caught someone putting a sticker on my car, odds are I would have them arrested for vandalism.

Thanks everyone. I'll quit kicking my own ass. Ya'll are the only invisible people I believe in and can count on.

Well there used to be a church that did that in my Hell-Mart parking lot, but they stopped last year. I can see why - seriously, Christian or no, how many people do you think actually answer those things? Does anybody read them? They're kind of like Chick tracts: the only people on Earth who would give them a second thought are those who already agree with them in the first place.

Now I do get megachurch junk mail, in fact we've gotten it two days in a row this week. Some clean-faced, bright-eyed young youth pastor, fresh from Rick Warren's Purpose Driven Church seminars and training, has found the perfect little hamlet in which to found his own terrifying creation: Fenton, MO. Personally I think the megachurch phenomenon is a bursting bubble, even most Christians are tired of this commercialized box store arena bullshit. Plus they've very associated with the Republican neo-Dominionist movement, which obviously has been rejected by America already in a flurry of general pissed-offness.There's only so many people willing to attend a mass hand-waving, tongue-speaking convention for so long. So yes, I do get irritated by Joel Osteen, Jr.'s attempt at being seeker-sensitive, but on the one hand, I figure it'll go up in smoke anyway (there's only so many megachurches a town of 4,000 can support), and on the other - seriously, what difference does it make if I get pissed? The best I can do is not go myself. Personally I find that, like I said before, the only people looking to join these churches and answer these ads are those actually seeking out an opportunity to do so. I doubt many people in your own Hell-Mart parking lot are really drawn in to attend whatever he's hawking.

Like someone else said, your young Christian man probably just used the incident as perfect persecution complex material. It will only serve as proof of just how angry and bitter non-Christians are, how terribly oppressed the evangelist's mission is, and how desperately Jesus is needed to maintain sanity. I prefer the route of calm rejection. "No, I'm not interested. Why? I'm too good for that shit. Thank you and good-bye." Not only is this the most civil thing to do but it presents the fact to the missionary that his efforts at suggesting your life is empty, meaningless and evil without Jesus is in fact not so.

A history teacher of mine had a great idea for dealing with the JW people. When they come to his door he opens the door and speaks to them in German! If they ask him if he understands English he acts like he doesn't know a word of it. It doesn't take them too long to think he can't speak English so they leave. Still all the JW's here in my neighborhood speak Spanish so I'll say "No comprende Espaniol." and they leave and go find someone who speaks Spanish. :wicked:

Keep in mind I'm a menopausal woman turning the big five O this week.

As a woman who, during menopause, created more scenes than a Grand Canyon brochure, I hereby absolve you of any and all personal responsibility for your righteous madness.

"It wasn't me, it was the hormones, Your Honor! :twitch: "

As for JWs, I love theology so much I engage them. Haven't encountered any in recent years but before I started studying theology I engaged a pair. I had so many questions about Jesus they couldn't answer, and so many arguments for the statements they made that they couldn't counter, that they left sooner than I really wanted them to.

When I tried the same approach with my sister and other siblings, eventually it ended in an explosion. I'm still scraping some of the guts off the walls and ceiling.

I hope that eventually I'll learn how to handle these cases, how to choose my battles wisely, how to avoid unwanted discussion on religion, and whatever else is required to live a life of peace and calm and joy and liberty as an exC.

The closest I've come to getting irritated at someone lately about religion was at work when a guy that works there on a once a week or less basis started talking about how he apologized in advance in case some bad words came out. He was working on a furniture repair project and thought he might hit himself with the hammer apparently. He said that he has to answer to God for it, or something and then it segued into how the Catholic church is okay except for confession even though he's not Catholic and soon after he was discussing the dinosaurs and creation. Another guy walked up and said that he really doesn't believe that the earth is only a few thousand years old and that dinosaurs and men lived at the same time. It was pretty benign, but I can see how I would get really irritated if someone was trying to convert me back. I do agree, though, that it does play into their notions of how unbelievers are if someone really gets pissed off at them or reinforces their persecution complex.

Sparkyone

I walked out of Walmart and found some jesus material on my car window. For some reason it just really pissed me off more than usual. It said something about "Who is Jesus" and go to The Living Blah Blah Church and here pastor Blah Blah....

I saw this young guy about 25 sticking these things on peoples car windows. I drove up and started screaming at him to stop putting garbage on windows, He started to tell me about how jesus got him off drugs and I start going DUH! I called him a poor brainwashed something I can't remember, I hope it wasn't bastard..I can't swear to it. I feel Like such an asshole. :loser: I was doing exactly what I hate about fundies. Keep in mind I'm a menopausal woman turning the big five O this week. It was like an out of body experience. I called my son who's been an exC longer than me. He said I was still in the anger stage. I still wish I hadn't done it. I looked like a fool. But I do kinda smile when I think about the testimony he'll give Wednesday night about staring down Satan face to face at Walmart. :grin:

LOL If I had seen this I would have started laughing...rofl.

But yeah, you just gave him something to witness about. The best thing to do is just be disinterested and say, "Nah, I don't believe in that stuff."

The best thing to do is just be disinterested and say, "Nah, I don't believe in that stuff."

I would leave off the part about "I don't believe in that stuff." Why? Because some people would take that as an invitation or perhaps prompting of the Spirit to start their jesus talk. I would say, the best thing is just to be disinterested and say "Nah," and then be in a hurry to get to wherever you are going. If you don't have a place in mind make one up.

And you won't be lying if you say you need to get going because you really do need to get going--in any direction that leads away from the jesus person.

In order to avoid a confrontation that would surely ruin my day (to hell with the fundie's day!) I totally cop out and tell them I'm Lutheran (which I used to be.) :loser:

I know, I know, but ruining a fundie's day is not worth the emotional wear & tear on my psyche. That's why I like to live vicariously through stuff like I'm reading on this thread. :HaHa:

Funny, tonight, someone just walked into the office to evangelize. He was Mexican, and didn't speak English. Gave me a brochure in Spanish at first, I gave it back, so he gave me one in English and I said "trabajo, bye" and pointed to the door. No need to scare this poor fella with philosophical arguments agasint his faith in English. :)