Leaving The United States

Llwellyn

I grew up overseas as an American expatriate. Unfortunately, I was in Africa where my parents were putting into foreign languages the evil chainletter -- I mean, the Holy Bible.

But now I am a US resident and citizen. I am increasingly distressed by the culture of the US which is hostile, prudish, xenophobic, and ignorant. I hate all the militaristic jingoism that goes on here. I hate the way the elected politicians pander the basist, most narrow-minded people within the American community. I am thinking about leaving and going elsewhere.

Ideally I would go to a country that has not been exposed to the Christian mind-virus. (But I know this is realisitic.) I would like a country where people are free to live their lives as they wish and to express themselves. Of course, popular democracy is important as well.

Where would you recommend I go? Canada? The UK? Some Northern European country? What about a place in the Caribbean or South America?

Have you thought about leaving? Where would you go? Have you made steps toward doing so?

Of course we also do have problems over here, but compared to the US as you see it (and sadly, I can't exactly disagree with you...), Germany wouldn't be a bad choice. One can argue whether it's the best one, but there's always a catch. ;)

At least fundyism is mostly unheard of over here. What normally passes as fundified over here is still totally lukewarm by your standards. :)

Have you thought about leaving? Where would you go? Have you made steps toward doing so?

The Netherlands is full so my next choice will be Nepal. I'll have the money together in about 5 years and I'll be gone. Belize sounds nice though. A bit warmer than Nepal. :grin:

Canada -- horriable tax rates

UK -- I hope you don't plan on expressing yourself in a way that involves carbon-emissions

Northern European countries -- high-standard of living, and high rates

South America -- Political instability everywhere, crime out of control, you might get killed in some kind of move to nationalize your property

Nepal -- Alot of my friends come from Nepal, they fled the country without looking back because they were afraid of being killed in the bitter civil war that's engulfing the country.

The only good place mentioned here is Germany, maybe the Netherlands. South Korea, Hong Kong, and Japan may be alright choices though. :shrug:

UK -- I hope you don't plan on expressing yourself in a way that involves carbon-emissions

South America -- Political instability everywhere, crime out of control, you might get killed in some kind of move to nationalize your property

Nepal -- Alot of my friends come from Nepal, they fled the country without looking back because they were afraid of being killed in the bitter civil war that's engulfing the country.

The only good place mentioned here is Germany, maybe the Netherlands. South Korea, Hong Kong, and Japan may be alright choices though. :shrug:

Eek, Japan, talk about the highest standard of living. Your typical 2 dollar hamburger would cost 8 american dollars there. I've always thought it to be a good idea just to go to Mexico, you can make out like a bandit there on American money the further you go from the border. Just stay out of the Chiapas region, they dont like gringos. I think someone mentioned Belize before, a good choice, burgeoning economy there but still early enough.

I am a US resident and citizen. I am increasingly distressed by the culture of the US which is hostile, prudish, xenophobic, and ignorant. I hate all the militaristic jingoism that goes on here

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up for me. And there's nothing worse than paying taxes to support all that shit you can't stand. After a year out of the US you are no longer liable for taxes up to at least 80k per year.

Russia fits your bill as far as countries that allow you to just live and be free and where people have not been exposed to a great deal of religiosity. Orthodoxy is making a come back, but it's more cultural than it is dogmatic. I've yet to meet a dogmatic Russian. Do they have a healthy democracy? No, but I can't name a country on the planet that does. Can you live free and not be bothered by your neighbors or the government? Absolutely. PM me if you want some contacts for English schools. I have a buddy that makes a nice living in SPB doing just that.

Oh yeah, and the women are sexy as hell and they don't fear sex.

Oh, I should probably plug India as well. I doubt you can live more cheaply with a western standard of living than here. You better bring your own money though, as you won't make any here.

Italy is another great choice that is high on my list. You can also teach English there and if you avoid the tourist areas, it's pretty cheap by European standards.

And finally, here's a great article on moving to Prague: http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/86/Prague.html

Am I the only one who's starting to think the US attitude that global warming is all just a scam is based on the same sort of baseless anti-intellectualism that inspires creationism?

Anyway, there is freedom of expression here when it comes to global warming. It is just that we, unlike the US it would seem, have the sense to realise that it is a reality. If people disagree with that, fine. They're almost certainly wrong, but whatever.

Still, I wouldn't recommend the UK as a first choice. We are practically the 51st State of the US already, so if you want to escape war-mongering imperialistic authoritarianism and idiotic anti-terrorismcivil liberties laws, then you'll have to try somewhere else because B@sh and co. are dragging us down with them.

Yeah, that's what I'd recommend. If you can be bothered to learn a new language, then I'd say Sweden or the Netherlands.

peace

I'd do Mexico(cheap to live there), Canada(higher taxes means higher salaries), or England(secular country) personally...The others are just too way out there.

But, on that note, America has as many good qualities as it does bad. I honestly don't think you should leave. We need as many intelligent and rational thinking people here as possible. If all of the rationalists left then this country would goto the dogs.

Yes, but you get a lot in return for those taxes.

Belize is pretty stable with a low crime rate. Lots of tourism and should be easy for an expat to get a job..... never mind. I just looked it up in on the CIA Factbook and it ain't doing too great.

Yeah, that is a small problem. They seem to be making progress though.

Am I the only one who's starting to think the US attitude that global warming is all just a scam is based on the same sort of baseless anti-intellectualism that inspires creationism?

You got it. There is also a huge dose of anti-government involved.

CIA Factbook and it ain't doing too great.

Dave, the CIA fact book is the largest waste of internet space out there. If I believed the CIA I would still be hiding under my bed in Boise Idaho. The CIA either needs to justify their salary, scare US citizens from travel, or both.

But, no, there will not be jobs in Belize. Belize is great for expats though. It offers an easy citizenship program, it is safe and stable, cheap and beautiful. Even better in all these regards is Panama. And Panama offers the most privacy in banking the world has to offer right now.

Dave, the CIA fact book is the largest waste of internet space out there. If I believed the CIA I would still be hiding under my bed in Boise Idaho. The CIA either needs to justify their salary, scare US citizens from travel, or both.

That "fact book" is based on reports from people actually on the ground in those countries. Not spies, just regular people. The CIA has been wrong before.... actually they've gotten more things wrong than right. It's not the CIA you have to worry about though.... it's the NSA.

But, no, there will not be jobs in Belize. Belize is great for expats though. It offers an easy citizenship program, it is safe and stable, cheap and beautiful. Even better in all these regards is Panama. And Panama offers the most privacy in banking the world has to offer right now.

I'm thinking there may not be any jobs for the locals but an American expat willing to work in the tourism industry there might be something. Panama sounds good too.

As opposed to the U.S., where if you actually add up everything you pay in taxes of one sort or another (not just the official figures), you'll find you're already paying the ~50% you would in other developed nations with a pathetic fraction of the return. It's a bread and circus the Romans would have wept to see.

I haven't decided on a first stop yet, but I think it's pretty well common knowledge I want to get out of here. That's the main reason I'm in college, to get my academic passport diploma so other countries will accept me. Probably Spain or Germany first, maybe Canada, then we'll see where the dart lands from there. ;)

If I left, I'd go to Germany. I've been there already and I learned the language once; it would come back to me. I also remember it being very non-religious. My host parents were surprised that I came from a family that went to church every Sunday.

Either that or Canada, which is geographically very close to me, but it would depend on the political situation there.

I haven't decided on a first stop yet, but I think it's pretty well common knowledge I want to get out of here. That's the main reason I'm in college, to get my academic passport diploma so other countries will accept me. Probably Spain or Germany first, maybe Canada, then we'll see where the dart lands from there. ;)

I'd have to recommend a stop-off in the UK too. The general apathy towards God, Queen and country makes a pleasant change from religious fanaticism and nationalism. :HaHa:

Oh, and we are also the exclusive holders of the secrets of how to make a proper cup of tea. :grin:

Man I would love to leave this place also. Don't get me wrong, I love the state I grew up in and feel very attached to the way things are here. But I can't stand the way things are going politically and its pretty clear something's gonna crash sooner or later.

For now I'm focusing on getting a degree to ensure decent employment when I do leave (my main drive to get through college).

I would love to go to Canada. There may be high taxes but I figure it'd be worth it to not hear people whining over road conditions or healthcare costs.

Other countires I'm eyeing are New Zealand, Japan and China (since I have relatives there and HuaiDan keeps reccomending it).

Would have said Europe a while ago but have crossed it off. Too much sucking up to muslims.

That "fact book" is based on reports from people actually on the ground in those countries. Not spies, just regular people. The CIA has been wrong before.... actually they've gotten more things wrong than right. It's not the CIA you have to worry about though.... it's the NSA.

Well, the NSA is indeed worrisome, but the CIA is an organization that has led to global instability for decades.

My assessment of their "facts" has to do with my own limited personal experience. Believing that guide would make you fearful of visiting anywhere but Canada and the UK.

As for jobs, you could always start your own business in one of these places. I believe their governments are pretty friendly to this concept.

Well, the NSA is indeed worrisome, but the CIA is an organization that has led to global instability for decades.

Just remember that the CIA is NSA's little brother but the NSA doesn't mind if the CIA gets credit for what they've done.

As for jobs, you could always start your own business in one of these places. I believe their governments are pretty friendly to this concept.

Now is the time to start a trekking company in Mongolia.