Goodbye Jesus

Will The Right Ever Be Tolerant Of Atheism?

Ahh!

I doubt it very much. They are completely sure their god exists and are offended by our "refusal" to recognize its existance.

Depends on which "right" you are referring too.

Opinions?

No, it goes against their doctrine to be tolerant of anyone outside of their faith. They also aren't tolerant of each other for the most part, each sect believes the other isn't really a True Christian. Only thing all sects can agree on largely is: "Atheists are evil and we're all communist" ta boot. :Wendywhatever: Facts of course are irrelevant.

Assuming you mean the religious right, they won't at long as fundamentalism exists and is connected with conservatism.

If they didn't have atheists to kick around they'd attack each other....oh wait, they do that too.

I heard a preacher the other day say that he took a poll of other ministers to rate the percent of saved Christians in their churches (all fundie strongholds), and the ministers all came back with numbers ranging between 25% and 75%. Even the most devout Fundementalist Christian church was believed, by its current leader, to have at least a quarter of its members going to Hell.

If they don't believe their own members are worthy, I don't think they are about to embrace a professed non-believer.

Eventually, I think it will, if we're talking about the political Right.

It already is in those countries that are more truly secular than the US. Even here in the UK, where we have an Established Church, our politics and society in general are far more secular. The political Right is tolerant of atheism and atheists not explicitly, but because religion is not an issue it tolerates people of all religions.

So, as the US becomes more secularised--which I believe it will eventually, if only for the sake of my own sanity--atheism and atheists will be tolerated in the fullest possible way...that is, no-one will know, care or notice if people are atheists.

Depends on which "right" you are referring too.

So very true. There really is no one, monolithic "Right" just as there is no such thing as a singular left-wing conspiracy wherein all liberals are united and peacefully cooperate against the Right.

Such as the racist right. I recall there being all sorts of people there - pagans, freethinkers, etc. Atheists were certainly welcome. As said, the Religious (ie, Xian) Right will likely never accept Atheists or anyone else, but that's to be expected.

Indeed, perhaps as the general climate of the world slowly moves away from Xianity, those who acsribe to non-Xian ideas will be more accepted in society. Time will tell.

Only when all superstitions and fear of the unknown have been overcome and gods are no longer required as an easy answer to said unknowns and mankind relegates all gods to the realm of myth, stories and legends they so rightly belong will those that would still attempt to propagate these myths and stories as reality be marginalized and lose the power the fear of their gods gives them over so many people today. If this was to occur and the majority of people started using reason over fear those that still feared would then be in the minority and rational thinking people and the non belief of gods (Atheism) would not just be tolerated but would become the norm. Now I ain't going to be holding my breath expecting this to happen any time soon though, as fear is still one of the most powerful, although at times, useful tools/weapons in the human arsenal of survival, and has been since the dawn of our existence. Now there is no doubt in my mind that religion and god worship can be and quite often are a very dangerous use of this tool, even though in the past there may have been a useful reason for this use of fear in the early formation of early tribal societies, it has without a doubt outlived any possibility of usefulness in modern societies. I understand that fear is one of the primary reason we still exist today and didn't die out because of larger and stronger predators along with our most deadly of nemesis....MAN....but like any tool/weapon its usefulness can and will be replaced by a better and more useful one and I would like to think that the new tool in our arsenal will be our growing intelligence and understanding of the universe around us (even though this to is not without its perils, like fear it requires a little common sense so as not to be abused and go off the deep end in the opposite direction). I would like to think we are at least getting a little closer to a time when rationality and reason will start to overtake fear as the quest for knowledge becomes our raison d’etre and not gods! But like I said, I ain't holding my breath!

Assuming you mean the political right, not any time soon.

I don't remember which president it was, sorry, but one of the fairly recent presidents of the US said in a speech or interview (I don't remember which one) that he believes that atheists should not be allowed to vote.

How's that for tolerance.

there is no such thing as a singular left-wing conspiracy wherein all liberals are united and peacefully cooperate against the Right.

That's what you think....Mwahahahahahahahah!!

:HaHa::HaHa:

Assuming you mean the political right, not any time soon.

I don't remember which president it was, sorry, but one of the fairly recent presidents of the US said in a speech or interview (I don't remember which one) that he believes that atheists should not be allowed to vote.

How's that for tolerance.

George HW Bush said that infmaous quote about atheists, that they shouldn't be considered patriots or citizens. I don't think anytime soon, my Dad himself said he hated all atheists, well maybe he hates his son too. :scratch:

Not all conservatives are theists.

True. I wasn't trying to go for a stereotype but a whopping percentage are.

Unlikely...

Can't necessarily agree here, Gary...

There are a lot of conservatives who are theists, but are secular in their beliefs as to the role of government. In keeping with the beliefs of the Founding Fathers. Because the "religious right" gets media attention, the natural assumption is that conservatives are also fundie xians. That is not necessarily true. (In all fairness, this coming from a hardcore Democrat)

Because the "religious right" gets media attention, the natural assumption is that conservatives are also fundie xians.

Accepted. I don't really live in the US so that's probably where I get that impression. Here in Europe, most of the traditionalist parties are ultra christian. But I suppose it differs from country to country.

Oh no doubt. Being a political conservative and a secularist at the same time often makes me the black sheep in my own political party. (Republican) but starting to think about changing to libertarian...

If you mean the "Religious Right," they will never be tolerant of anything

or anyone. People of that mindset need to hate, and they will

always find something or someone to feed that need.

Oh no doubt. Being a political conservative and a secularist at the same time often makes me the black sheep in my own political party.

Uhh... you aren't being sarcastic right? If you are, then I honestly wasn't trying to diss right-wingers. Just saying that generally they seem to be more christian than the left.... in Europe.

Oh no doubt. Being a political conservative and a secularist at the same time often makes me the black sheep in my own political party.

Uhh... you aren't being sarcastic right? If you are, then I honestly wasn't trying to diss right-wingers. Just saying that generally they seem to be more christian than the left.... in Europe.

No, not really, I'm politically conservative on defense, social services, international policy, all that stuff.... But at the same time im more moderate on social issues like abortion.

No offense taken, I completely understand I think a lot of the conservatives are nut jobs... Its just that on the issues that I think matter the most things like national defense, immigration, and taxation... the issues that directly affect the economic health and well being of our county they (the right wing conservatives) are right.

While I do identify more with the center-left on the stuff that really gets the right riled up... teaching evolution explicitly, no prayer in schools, gay rights, passing out condoms to high school kids that need them to name a few... I still vote conservative. I accept these flaws with the conservative base not because I wan't to but because I have to, to get what I wan't where matters. I would much rather see an America that is a strong and prosperous, un-equaled militarialy, technologically, and that is in a league of its own when it comes to innovation and opportunities, than I would have gay rights, no 10 commandments plaques in the court houses, and half my wages going to social welfare and hand out programs for illegal aliens.

No, not really, I'm politically conservative on defense, social services, international policy, all that stuff.... But at the same time im more moderate on social issues like abortion.

No offense taken, I completely understand I think a lot of the conservatives are nut jobs... Its just that on the issues that I think matter the most things like national defense, immigration, and taxation... the issues that directly affect the economic health and well being of our county they (the right wing conservatives) are right.

Yeah, there isn't one political system for all. Some will always lose and others win. Ah, but we're going off topic.

I tend to be a fiscal conservative and a social liberal but not all of a social liberal, like I am pro-guns and pro-death penalty and basically for punishment to take place for the crime needed though I'm for legalization of drugs and think America's drug laws are a joke. I'm against the Iraq War, supported the Afghanistan War, am more for lesser taxes and less government intervention in things.

The Right will be tolerant of atheists as soon as a considerable number of them become huge corporate CEOs with billions of dollars of dirty money and a soulless desire to hoard and steal more.

The Right will be tolerant of atheists as soon as a considerable number of them become huge corporate CEOs with billions of dollars of dirty money and a soulless desire to hoard and steal more.

Hmm... sounds like a plan. Promote atheism AND get rich.