Goodbye Jesus

My Story Of Change

Guest MonkeySee

Guest MonkeySee

My story is pretty simple. I was raised in a non-denominational Christian home. My parents were always very fundamental in their views. I attended Sunday School, Bible studies, even a "Virgin Camp" (a place to promise to remain a virgin until wed). I was totally and completely a fundamentalist. I prayed for people who didn't know Jesus and couldn't understand why someone wouldn't be a Christian. That all started to change for me around the age of 17. I remember sitting down and asking my mom questions about the Bible and the Christian religion in general and not being at all satisfied with her responses. They were of the general, "it's part of God's plan", variety.

I still hung on to my beliefs though, because it was all I knew and I think in large part because I was still living under my parents roof. At 18, after graduating high school, I moved out of the house and moved 3000 miles across the country to live life. It was there that I met the boyfriend that totally rocked my views of religion. He challenged me and my faith. At first I got angry with him. I was pissed. I lashed out. After I calmed down I realized that I was lashing out because I knew he was right and I was angry that I had been lied to my whole life. It changed my whole perception of my parents and what they had taught me. I began to study and read about the history of Christianity, about "Lost Gospels", Gnostics, Science, Biblical contradictions, etc.

Even after reading all that I still was very afraid and even entertained the idea of trying again. Figuring out what it was that I was missing that didn't make Christianity click for me. I simply couldn't. I had read too much. I knew too much. I couldn't unlearn the truth. It is what it is. I can't turn away from the cruelty, injustice and contradiction filled book that is the Bible and accept it was the word of God. I can't look at the history and the way the Bible was even put together and not recognize that it was at the hands of men, not God.

8 years later, this is where I am now. I want to learn more. I want to grow and understand even more. I want to be able to confidently sit down with my daughter and discuss the many religions in the world from a scholarly standpoint. I want her to question life and never simply accept what people tell her to believe.

So, that's my story.

I can't look at the history and the way the Bible was even put together and not recognize that it was at the hands of men, not God.

Yeah...that's what did it for me, too. Once you see that pattern of "a god created in man's image, not man created in God's image", it's hard to "unsee". From the "God commands that society be extremely sexist!" to the "God commanded that genocide!"...it's pretty clear what the deal is.

Hi and welcome, btw. :)

(I'm the poster elsewhere on the net that linked to here.)

ETA:

Here's my "anti-testimony."

http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?show...9&hl=kellyb

Guest MonkeySee

Hi there!

Thanks again for the link.

Oh man the sexism of it all really grates on me now. When I was in it, I never noticed it. Or if I did, I was just told to accept it as God's Plan. Pfffft!

8 years later, this is where I am now. I want to learn more. I want to grow and understand even more. I want to be able to confidently sit down with my daughter and discuss the many religions in the world from a scholarly standpoint. I want her to question life and never simply accept what people tell her to believe.

How wonderful! Congratulations & welcome!! :)

Welcome to Ex-C! We're Glad to have you, and thanks for sharing your Anti-t!! Another New Englander, how awesome is that!! :D

Guest strafer

Welcome to Ex-C! We're Glad to have you, and thanks for sharing your Anti-t!! Another New Englander, how awesome is that!! :D

The most bizarre part of the religion is their views on sex. At first I equated the many flaws to error, over time I began to wonder if it was on purpose. Like the goal of Christianity is to control and destroy people. How could something so Godly feel so wrong?