Goodbye Jesus

Repentence Does Not Cancel Future Consequences

Unknowing1

Do you find that statement to be offensive?

Maybe it's just me but I do and unfortunately I have to see it everytime I leave my office at work as a co-worker has posted it outside her cubicle on the hallway wall. I find it offensive in a religious way as I never held to that type of belief system even when I was a practicing christian and I find it offensive in a non religious way because to me it means that even if you make a mistake, apologize and correct that mistake that it should always haunt you. It seems to me that it isn't a very positive statement.

What are your thoughts? If you had to see this statement day in and day out would it get on your nerves or am I just being too sensative because of my feelings about religion?

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

I don't think you have supplied enough information to really understand your rant.

On the surface I would agree with the statement, "repentance does not cancel future consequences." It's a truism and not reliable in all circumstances. However, it often does apply in life. For example, repenting of ones alcoholism does not undo the damage and its aftermath that one has cause when blind drunk. Neither does this repentance undo any penalties one has acquired. A murderer may repent of his act, but he still has to serve his time.

And let me tell you from experience that if the mistake is bad enough it will always haunt you, even if people are not throwing it back in your face from time to time. Repenting of carelessness does not un-break the vase.

Well, it would negate the entire Christian belief structure. But it I have to agree with Chef, it's more realistic than the religion anyway. For example, you can be sorry for committing a crime, but still have to spend time in jail or money on a fine. If you cheat on your spouse and your spouse finds out, even if you apologize profusely, you could still end up divorced. If someone rapes a woman, that woman has to live with that for the rest of her life, even if she doesn't get pregnant as a result and even if the rapist isn't caught. So yeah, it's more realistic.

Amethyst, I was thinking the same thing. If the consequences of "sin" in Christianity can't be undone, then what's they use of such a religion? And I agree with Chef and you, some consequences will stay regardless how sorry a person is for the actions. Some consequences can be undone, like if you lose a friend because you said something stupid, you can sometimes undo this by regret what you did and say you're sorry.