Nature Kicks Ass

Biggles7268

Holy crap! That thing was huge! I want one. :)

Mantises are super cool. When I was a teenager, I basically had a houseplant jungle in my bedroom (strange, I know, for the teenage punk that I was). On a couple different occasions, I captured a few wild mantises and introduced them to my indoor garden. When I didn't find insects to feed them, I would feed them raw hamburger on a string. This would seem to make them incredibly irritated, but they would eat it all the same. One autumn, one of my mantises ate another, I'm assuming the eaten one was a male and the eater was a female because it laid two egg cases on my ficus. I took the egg cases to a local grown-over vacant lot where i hadn't seen mantises before (I looked everywhere for mantises as a younger child), where they hatched the next year and lived happily ever after.

Holy crap! That thing was huge! I want one. :)

Make the size count then. :fdevil:

praying_mantis_green01.jpg

Those are really cool, there are none around where I live, the only time I ever saw one was when I went to japan.

I took the egg cases to a local grown-over vacant lot where i hadn't seen mantises before (I looked everywhere for mantises as a younger child), where they hatched the next year and lived happily ever after.

...which probably wasn't very long. Most of them likely served as bird or spider food.