Goodbye Jesus

Easter Bread: Where Does The Tradition Come From?

R. S. Martin

I didn't grow up with this tradition but encountered it in the modern Mennonite tradition. Anyone know how bread got related to Easter? Is it because bread rises "mysteriously" and so did Jesus (supposedly)? Why do all these fancy breads show up in stores right about Easter? It must be because a significant number of customers put stock in Easter bread. If anyone here was ever part of this tradition or knows where the tradition comes from or what Christians think it means I would be interested to hear about it.

Ruby Sera, I think Easter is closely associated with the Jewish Pass Over. Something about they had to leave so quickly that they didn't give the bread time to rise before they packed it. There is also the supposed last supper with Jesus before his capture, and the bread and wine were symbolic (communion). As I understand it, the bread represents the body of christ in the people, each person is a piece of the one collective body. The wine represents the blood, which makes us ALL related to each other. I've also heard bread is symbolic in representing God kneading us into a unified mass, and prepared with God's energy (baked), which gives rise to our spirituality, that nourishes our soul. You have your interpretation too, as I'm sure there are so many more. Thanks for the thread, as I'm interested in what meaning others have come to associate to it.

So far there have not been many responses. Your response is very interesting, though. Some of the things you say are almost identical to the things our bishop used to say as he served the bread of the Communion. It must come from an old writing and I would be interested to know who wrote it, or where it can be found.

I didn't grow up with this tradition but encountered it in the modern Mennonite tradition. Anyone know how bread got related to Easter? Is it because bread rises "mysteriously" and so did Jesus (supposedly)? Why do all these fancy breads show up in stores right about Easter? It must be because a significant number of customers put stock in Easter bread. If anyone here was ever part of this tradition or knows where the tradition comes from or what Christians think it means I would be interested to hear about it.

I have never heard of "Easter Bread". I did a search and found recipes/articles connecting it with Greece, Italy, Russia, Spain, and other European countries.

Here is a short Wikipedia article on Easter Bread.

There used to be a nursery rhyme about "hot cross buns". Is this something similar?