Goodbye Jesus

Easter Observance

garrisonjj

My good friday observance consisted of having considerable fun with my wife, going to a buffet and eating limited amounts of meat.

On easter sunday I attended mass with the family,reverantly received holy communion without confession and with considerable sins on my soul.

The results? I consider mysely an ex catholic/agnostic/leading to atheism. Guilt? some. But what the fuck? Life goes on. Any opinions? Thanks from this deconverted person no longer mastered by the catholic religion.

So, did the holy host sizzle when it touched your tongue? :HaHa:

I'll bet there are a lot of people that think like you, but attend at Easter/Christmas either to just keep peace in the family or because it's a tradition. After all, how many modern Catholics go to confession? I've seen church signs where they show five masses on the weekends and a mass every weekday, but they might only have two half-hour slots scheduled for confession during the whole week. Don't tell me they can sqeeze every parishioner into a total of one hour?

Me on Good Friday--went out to lunch with some friends from work and then did some shopping (during that critical noon-three p.m. time period...how blasphemous!). On Easter, I simply joined my family for a pitch in dinner. I didn't even attend the Unitarian church I sometimes go to because I had stayed up late the night before. Ah, freedom....

My good friday observance consisted of having considerable fun with my wife, going to a buffet and eating limited amounts of meat.

Garrison, you should be ashamed of yourself! Believe one thing and do another!

Just kidding! :funny:

Gosh, why would you have any guilt? I would participate in Halloween, and I don't believe in goblins.

I suppose Easter is our cultural tradition.

Personally, I can see some very significant principles in this story/fable/myth of the bible, yet never found a church that espoused anything beneficial from it.

I'm only curious as to why you chose to limit your meat, on the buffet, on Good Friday? :huh:

Garrison, you should be ashamed of yourself! Believe one thing and do another!

Just kidding! :funny:

Gosh, why would you have any guilt? I would participate in Halloween, and I don't believe in goblins.

I suppose Easter is our cultural tradition.

Personally, I can see some very significant principles in this story/fable/myth of the bible, yet never found a church that espoused anything beneficial from it.

I'm only curious as to why you chose to limit your meat, on the buffet, on Good Friday? :huh:

First of all,,,,,,,,,,you got me. I don't know. There was a time we would sit and pray for 3 hours, no tv, very limited eating. At 49, I found myself fucking, then going out to eat. Yet, there was something in me that wouldn't allow me to cut off a slice of beef. I mixed some strands of pork in my wan ton soup. That guilt thing is hard to overcome. Then, on Easter, comitting a sacralidge by receiving, just bothers me. I didn't do it with malice, just showing my young children a good example. They are learning the faith, yet I really despise religion. Crazy huh?

Thanks for your input! Garrisonjj

So, did the holy host sizzle when it touched your tongue? :HaHa:

I'll bet there are a lot of people that think like you, but attend at Easter/Christmas either to just keep peace in the family or because it's a tradition. After all, how many modern Catholics go to confession? I've seen church signs where they show five masses on the weekends and a mass every weekday, but they might only have two half-hour slots scheduled for confession during the whole week. Don't tell me they can sqeeze every parishioner into a total of one hour?

Me on Good Friday--went out to lunch with some friends from work and then did some shopping (during that critical noon-three p.m. time period...how blasphemous!). On Easter, I simply joined my family for a pitch in dinner. I didn't even attend the Unitarian church I sometimes go to because I had stayed up late the night before. Ah, freedom....

I could hear the reasoning. I'll tell you how 3 thousand people could receive on easter with only 2 hours or less of confession times.

THEY ALL HAVE VENIAL SINS AS OPPOSED TO MORTAL! Yep, they don't steal, or fuck their neighbors wife (they just wish they could). They don't say jesusfuckingchrist during the week, they don't steal from their employer or anything else really mortal to the catholic religion.

According to their rules, I comitted the utmost sacrilidge by receiving without confession and with considerable mortal sins on my soul about 4 times now,,,and my wife! And fucking on good friday! A new high!

For me its a kind of therapy! Yes, I wasn't struck down and I didn't receive with malice. Just as a "good example" for the young kids of mine who are learning the faith. They can decide for themselves later. My religious upbringing was the cruelest and self depreciating guilt ridden form by totally fucked up, neurotic nuns who now,,,,are all gone.

Just one problem, garrison...

On easter sunday I attended mass with the family,reverantly received holy communion without confession and with considerable sins on my soul.

Sins don't exist, at least outside the fairy-tale workd manufcatured by the Xian religion. By continuing to believe that you have divine criminal offenses against your name, you still give the Xian religion credit.

And you've nothing to feel guilty about. Unless you're in a position to reveal your deconversion without ill consequences, it's in your best interest to keep it under wraps. If you were hiding it for no good reason, then it's be a different matter. But you're only doing what's best for yourself.

And you've nothing to feel guilty about. Unless you're in a position to reveal your deconversion without ill consequences, it's in your best interest to keep it under wraps. If you were hiding it for no good reason, then it's be a different matter. But you're only doing what's best for yourself.

I don't like closets, of any kind. While it might be temporarily painful and difficult, no one should hide their identity from others. Life is far too short for that. I recommend to atheists what I recommend to gay people: Come out, come out, wherever you are. But, each must do what s/he thinks best.

-CC

I don't like closets, of any kind. While it might be temporarily painful and difficult, no one should hide their identity from others. Life is far too short for that. I recommend to atheists what I recommend to gay people: Come out, come out, wherever you are. But, each must do what s/he thinks best.

I agree. Unless it is clear that there will be severe consequences for coming out, by all means be true to yourself and don't hide what you are. Don't shove it down anyone's throat, but don't hide it.

Problem is, expressing that one is a deconvert from Xianity can actually result in backlashes, depending on where one lives. It may not be surprising to those of us who live in big cities or come from them (where I come from, no one would bat an eyelash at anyone, no matter their religion or sexual orientation), but in areas that are dominated by strict Xianity, that person is an instant outcast. As much as I don't want to believe Americans can be that, well, un-American, facts are that coming out can lead to trouble.

People just have to do what is best for them.