Goodbye Jesus

Fake Atheists Blogs

Ahh!

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/258978.htm

"Why would a Christian create a blog and pretend to be an atheist, making arguments against Christianity? I don't know, but apparently there are at least a few Christians who find such activities quite amusing and worthwhile because a number of fake atheist blogs have been created in the past couple of years. It's not always easy to spot them, but you can do it if you try."

Heh. Isn't that funny. I wonder what Kirk Cameron (The Way of the Master) would say about this kind of lying and deceit? Isn't this basically a form of deceiving people and that would make them deceivers? I hope they get sent a very special kind of Hell. :fdevil:

Lying is a venerable and well established Christian tradition.

"What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie for the sake of the good and for the Christian church [...]a lie out of necessity, a useful lie, a helpful lie, such lies would not be against God, he would accept them."

--Martin Luther

(Cited by his secretary, in a letter in Max Lenz, ed., Briefwechsel Landgraf Phillips des Grossmüthigen von Hessen mit Bucer, vol. I.)

"Clearly the Christians have used... myths... in fabricating the story of Jesus' birth... It is clear to me that the writings of the Christians are a lie and that your fables are not well-enough constructed to conceal this monstrous fiction."

– Celsus (On The True Doctrine, c178 AD)

"To confute the opposer... one argues as one pleases, saying one thing while one means another... Origen, Eusebius [et al] write at great length... Sometimes it is true, they are compelled to say not what they think but what is useful."

– St Jerome, c.380

"I was already Bishop of Hippo, when I went into Ethiopia with some servants of Christ there to preach the Gospel. In this country we saw many men and women without heads, who had two great eyes in their breasts; and in countries still more southly, we saw people who had but one eye in their foreheads."

St Augustine

(Sermon 37; quoted in Taylor, Syntagma, 52; Diegesis, 271; Doane, Bible Myths, 437.)

And of course, my very favorite, Paul, the Greatest Christian Who Ever Lived:

Corinthians 9:20-22 To the Jews I became as a Jew, in order to win Jews; to those under the law I became as one under the law -- though not being myself under the law -- that I might win those under the law. To those outside the law I became as one outside the law -- not being without law toward God but under the law of Christ -- that I might win those outside the law. To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak.

Romans 3:7 If through my lies God’s truth abounds to His glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?

Philippians 1:18 In every way, whether in pretense or in truth, Jesus is proclaimed, and in that I rejoice.

Lying sacks of shit.

Heh. Isn't that funny. I wonder what Kirk Cameron (The Way of the Master) would say about this kind of lying and deceit?

You simply don't understand true holiness Han! These morontheists are lying, true, but they're lying for jeeeeebus! Of course that's something entirely differerent from us eeeebil unbelievers's lies... :crazy:

We've all seen it on the other side as well, members here masquerading as theists to get a heated discussion going.

In a rather small circle (like on this forum, or as "Loki" in alt.atheism), yes. However, I'd say there's a difference between playing rabble-rouser for a while and then admitting "ha-haa, gotcha!" and pulling a rather long-term impersonation of "the other side", aimed at a rather large audience.

Doesn't mean that no atheist has ever done such a thing on such a scale... only that I'm not aware of any examples. :scratch:

I think it's probably happened more than we care to admit. We have these hit and run characters that stick around for a few days, we give 'em hell, and they disappear. Some of them seem just too larger than life to be real, too stereotypical. Maybe I'm STILL not cynical enough.

I think the real ones get scared shitless and bolt after the first reply!

:HaHa:

It is one thing to play Devil's Advocate (love that phrase), but quite another to purposely decieve people into thinking you are someone you are not.

But, the fact that they are making up fake blogs to discredit Atheism proves they are scared that their position is not a solid as they wish it were. The tactics used sometimes proves the strength of argument. (there was a quote I just saw recently that is similar to that thought...probably one of you guy's signatures).

There is some context missing from the article cited above.

The blog mentioned, Discomforting Christianity, was an obvious, temporary parody of the founder of the Debunking Christianity blog.

There is bad blood between the guy who did it and the Debunking Christianity guy. The Christian guy (who later revealed his name, and, in my opinion, made it obvious from the beginning) used the blog to mock the arguments of the atheist. He thought they were ridiculous and presented them in a way to point out their errors.

Sure, this brings up a whole set of issues--e.g. was it right for the guy to "deceive," should a Christian "mock" someone they believe will spend eternity in hell, etc.--but the idea presented in the About.com article that this was intended to fool a bunch of atheists goes a little far, in my opinion. It was meant to tease a particular set of people and, personally, I thought it was kind of funny (and I used to be a contributor to Debunking Christianity).

I really don't think there are a lot of Christians masquerading as atheist bloggers. They might do it to make a point (as do some atheists), but it really doesn't seem like that big of a deal.

$.02

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/258978.htm

"Why would a Christian create a blog and pretend to be an atheist, making arguments against Christianity? I don't know, but apparently there are at least a few Christians who find such activities quite amusing and worthwhile because a number of fake atheist blogs have been created in the past couple of years. It's not always easy to spot them, but you can do it if you try."

I think it's just to show up atheism for being the fool it's cracked up to be. Since fundies are always so sensitive when it comes to knowing stuff--being smart--they might change their minds about deconvertion if they were put on the impression that atheism really is as crazy as all the xians say it is. That's just my guess. I haven't seen any of those forums. I thought the link in this quote would take me to one but it didn't.