Goodbye Jesus

It is NOT OK!

webmdave

Just to run a quick question by you guys, someone on another board I frequent expressed that he thought videotaping a family spat and posting it on YouTube was the height of "bad taste," and was airing "dirty laundry" on a public forum. Does anyone agree? Has anyone's privacy been violated by this video? I doubt the mother knew she was being secretly taped.

I think it's important to show what happens to atheist kids "coming out" to their parents, but this woman's anonymity may have been compromised without her consent. Is this kind of thing any different than someone coming on here and asking for help and advice with manipulative/abusive family members?

I'd really like to know. I'm in a bit of an ethical quandary here because I respect this guy's opinion but I think he's engaging in righteous pearl-clutching.

I disagree with him.

The way that mother was treating her son, though not physical, was nonetheless abusive. Abuse of any kind is more than just "dirty laundry". And I can't think of anything that needs to be brought out into the sunlight more than parental abuse of children, whether it's religious, verbal, physical, or otherwise. Keeping it hidden behind closed doors only helps insure that it will continue.

Did the individual on the other board have anything to say about the mother's "bad taste" in abusing her son? Did he stop to consider that? Or is he of the opinion that parents have every right to speak to their children however they please, regardless of what impact it might have?

Those are some of my thoughts, fwiw. I will freely admit, however, that I have a very, very large and personal bias on this issue.

Just to run a quick question by you guys, someone on another board I frequent expressed that he thought videotaping a family spat and posting it on YouTube was the height of "bad taste," and was airing "dirty laundry" on a public forum. Does anyone agree? Has anyone's privacy been violated by this video? I doubt the mother knew she was being secretly taped.

I think it's important to show what happens to atheist kids "coming out" to their parents, but this woman's anonymity may have been compromised without her consent. Is this kind of thing any different than someone coming on here and asking for help and advice with manipulative/abusive family members?

I'd really like to know. I'm in a bit of an ethical quandary here because I respect this guy's opinion but I think he's engaging in righteous pearl-clutching.

Um...I think this was staged. The dialogue didn't begin until the camera was almost "in place" and the conversation suddenly started with: "You're an Atheist!?" coming from mommy. It didn't start with sonny's declaration. We heard no discussion prior to that as the camera approached and was placed. An angry exclamatory interrogative question like that does NOT just come out of absolutely nowhere. And while the camera finished with a nice realistic seeming "cut away" where the clip ended prior to the "argument" ending....if this were a real argument, the beginning of the clip would have started that way too, but it really didn't.

For you Dog Whisperer fans....basically this "caught on camera" encounter started at about a 7 and went straight to level 10 excitability from there.....where was level 1-6? Some part of excitability level 1 thru 6 should at least have been audible as the camera was being placed.

Not to mention mommy was forgetting her lines. "And you said, to Bishop...." what, exactly? She dropped the rest of the line. Son waits for her to finish her line...she doesn't...so he does a too little to late "cover" with his next line.

Just to run a quick question by you guys, someone on another board I frequent expressed that he thought videotaping a family spat and posting it on YouTube was the height of "bad taste," and was airing "dirty laundry" on a public forum. Does anyone agree?

Absolutely not. It really sickens me when people say things like that. It's only one step away from saying people shouldn't report sexual harrasment, rape and domestic violence because of what people will think. It saddens me to think how many people are trapped in horrible situations because they've been brainwashed into believing that what a bunch of curtain-twitching, self-righteous, snobbish, judgemental lower middle class fuckwits say about you is the most important thing in life.

I haven't told my parents about my deconversion. They will likely figure it out when they google my name and find my blog.