The Passion Of The Christ

Devilin

Late to this thread, but better late than never :)

Has anybody seen this yet ? is it worth the popcorn and fizzy drink ?

Yeah I've seen it this year's Ostara... local company Pro7 (if memory serves) decided to broadcast this controversial movie.

Can't say I was impressed.

Nice splatter, for the 20 minutes (was it that long?) that jebus got whipped by those Ebil Romans™. But nothing worth mentioning. And a former co-worker had told me, after watching that thing in the cinema years ago. "it's kind of sick where you see bits of torn-loose flesh dropping ot the ground" or similar.

I guess there was some censorship going on... at least I didn't see anything like that back then.

All in all, just another movie upholding the jebus fairy tale.

Yeah, kind of an interesting depiction of da debil :)

Are you saying, Dev, that you consider this an accurate portrayal? I’m guessing not, but I’m somehow missing your point.

:) I consider this as a film depicting Gibson's perception of how Christ was crucified

PersonallyI'm incredibly curious about mankind future. where we are going as a species

But to try to comprehend the path forward I need to understand the path behind so I study history

And I see patterns of behaviour repeated throughout history

An elitist group (the established authority) determined to hold on to power. which eventually holds back on the rest of society. until individuals in that society revolt and replaced this elitist group. society then progresses. while the individual that replace the previous elitist group themselves become the next power mad elitist group .............. and so on

The stories of the individuals that rise from obscurity to bring down the established authority.are almost always fascinating and compeling ......... These stories were written by the victors :) although the individuals themselves are almost always killed before the authority is replaced .... they become martyrs

Many individuals have sacrificed themselves so we as a society can progress

This film was a snapshot of one individual's torment.it was disturbing and thought provoking. I'm glad I watched it for this reason. but I wouldn't choose to watch it again

I saw it as. this is what the established authority will do to anybody who threatens to overthrow them

I consider this as a film depicting Gibson's perception of how Christ was crucified

I was kind of thinking along the lines of this is what he wants everyone to think christ went through.

I recall growing up in church that the preachers always tried to top one another as they would describe Jesus' suffering. They want you to think that he somehow was able to suffer much more than any living creature ever had before or since. It's all bs of course, but I think this was just Gibson's attempt at one-upsmanship, which they somehow imagine brings glory to their god man.

This gross exageration is also how they keep xians feeling guilting for being the disgusting worms that they are. How dare they indulge in such sinful lives when their god paid such a heavy price?

Indeed but even at its most graphic torture endured by Christ.is mild compare to the torture inflicted by the Christians upon the victims in the inquisitions

The fear factor ......... fear of torture..........control through fear

The new authority realising it is losing popular support as it becomes the established authority corrupt elitist paranoid and self obsessed with power to the detriment of society as a whole

Resorts to the tried and tested method of control through fear ....this is always during the latter stages before they are replace by the new authority

Although I'm referring to the Roman Catholic church and the Reformation this sequence of events is repeated throughout history and still continues today

By the standard of crucifixions, jesus' one wasn't the worst. Everyone was flogged... and then they lasted on average a day and a half. The tough ones could be three days. Jesus managed around 4 hours...

Jesus managed around 4 hours...

You know, if he could get all the suffering of the world done in 4 hours for all that sin-debt we are supposed to have - why not just 1 hour instead of 4 hours if those 4 hours were intense enough to pay the debt. For that matter, why not a month instead of 4 hours? For that matter, why isn't he up there hanging and suffering for us today as sin is quite alive and well.

Christians tell us that our finite sins cause infite harm against the mighty omnipotent God. Thinking outloud here - shouldn't Jesus be crucified for eternity since our sins are infitinely harmful to God?

If I add this up correctly, Jesus only covers about 4 hours of sin debt. And Christians want me to applaud him for that and serve his ass?

I think not.

I've wondered that. Long and hard I've pondered. In the end, I think they're talking bollocks.

At least Sisyphus is working for all eternity. And Jesus?

Yep, bullocks.

I've wondered that. Long and hard I've pondered. In the end, I think they're talking bollocks.

Yep, bullocks.

Prometheus got the shitty end of the stick too...

Yep, bullocks.

Not to mention Osiris. All 12 pieces of him.

Yep, bullocks.

Not to mention Osiris. All 12 pieces of him.

they didn't get the full 12 back either...