Goodbye Jesus

Penis Envy?

mwc

I was browsing about the net (over at IMDB actually) and came across some talk in a forum where the tired chestnut of how "atheists" have simply replaced "God" with another god named "science." And "science" can't do everything, unlike the "real" god.

It got me thinking. Is this all just jealousy? I'm willing to concede for the argument that "science" is now the God named Science. Let's compare it to the biblical "god" for just one quick moment.

Reams and reams are written about my God and his many accomplishments (both good and evil I'm afraid). My life is JAMMED FULL of BLESSINGS that have been BESTOWED on me by my God (most in exchange for a tithe or offering of varying amounts). Everywhere that I go I can SEE the EVIDENCE of my God and his continued INTERACTION in MY life and the lives of those around me. My God is WILLING and ABLE to BLESS the WORLD and is ACTIVELY WORKING towards that very GOAL. My God doesn't care if you believe in him or not. He will do his very best to always work to his maximum potential. Sadly, this does mean that some have used him for quite evil purposes. My God is indifferent to us which is both good and bad depending on how WE decide to utilize his gifts. My God is ONLY the God of the living and this lifetime.

Their "god," on the other hand, is silent. He is not to be questioned or tested. He "works" in "mysterious" ways. As far as we can see he is no better than random chance in the very areas most attributed to him (healing, etc.). However, unlike my God, he supposedly has even better "blessings" waiting beyond this life for only those who actively believe in his son and the things that were written about him nearly 2000 years ago.

So if these two really are "gods" I guess I can see why someone might be just a little jealous and really hope for someone that "worshiped" Science to "get theirs." If my "god" just "laid there" in a book with gilded edges I'd probably be a little upset too.

mwc

Whenever I see a fundie relate science to religion like that I simply ignore them. By stating something that would be obviously retarded to any educated person, they have basically just admitted that they dont know anything about science, what its based off of, and probobly dont know much about their own religion either. Heck, sometimes I even picture the person in my mind running around in circles in a tiki suit and waving their hands in the air crying "OOOGA BOOGA ! OOOGA BOOGA !", because thats basically the case.

I shrug them off as the uneducated fucknuggets they are. Not worth my patience.

That was excellent MWC. I can't add anything to that. Thanks. I'll use that. :Medal:

Very well said, mwc...

But I almost missed it because of the emotional response from the first paragraph:

I was browsing about the net (over at IMDB actually) and came across some talk in a forum where the tired chestnut of how "atheists" have simply replaced "God" with another god named "science." And "science" can't do everything, unlike the "real" god.

How is it that some feebleminded fundie neo-troglodytes seem to insist that we who are atheist just have to have something as our god? No, we haven't replaced "god" with science, promiscuity, communism, or anything else. We simply see no basis to think any gods are real, and move on.

But you're absolutely right. Science has done infinitely more to better the lot of humanity than any deity dreamed up could possibly dream of.

Piprus, I had much the same response to the first paragraph. When my sisters analyze my "religion" without first asking what I do believe it seems preposterous.

That's from stuff that happened last week. I plan not to discuss religion--or much of anything else--with them anymore.

I like that idea that you presented mwc, that is really good. But what is with the thread title?

But what is with the thread title?

I might not be on track for mwc but I suggest you look up the word phallus. Here's a site that might be illuminating.

I like that idea that you presented mwc, that is really good. But what is with the thread title?

Well, first, it's an attention grabber. :)

Second, from Wikipedia, "She desires a penis, and the power that it represents. This is described as penis envy. She sees the solution as obtaining her father’s penis." My loose interpretation on the whole thing is, xians desire from the god of Science what is perceived missing in their own god. Since they cannot acquire it, from their god, they end up "acting out" in various ways (usually by attacking the very thing they desire but cannot have which is an interactive, and powerful, "god").

In short, they envy the obvious power of science in light of the castrated being that is their god.

mwc

Thanks for the kind words everyone. :thanks:

mwc