Goodbye Jesus

The Mormons Meet The Atheist

xrayman7040

I was downstairs this fine Saturday morning on my computer, drinking my coffee, when I heard the dogs barking and someone knocking at the front door. As I went up and looked out the side window I could clearly see it was a couple of those well dressed back pack toting Mormon kids. I opened the door, and to their surprise I invited them in, and wisked them down into my basement for the start of about a wonderful mutually respectful half hour discussion. I don't think they have ever encountered someone like myself who actually invited them in their house. It was great. They sat down on my workout bench and I in my computer chair.

I was drillilng these guys with so many questions that they couldn't answer, and then they would ask me questions that I would hit out of the park. Of course the gave me the old, "Without God and eternal salvation, what is the purpose of our lives?" I went on for three or four minutes of all the wonderful things l love to do with my family and friends, and told them about my hobbies and so on and so fourth. The were looking stunned how I seemlessly answered that question without looking puzzled myself. I ended with the fact that I do not seek eternal life by they way. I was asking them how a loving God could allow kids to get cancer and they would say, "We can never understand God." I would reply with, "Totally unacceptable cop out gentlemen." Oh it was really fun.

I just don't think they were ever prepared to chat with a very well informed atheist. I went on to challenge them on whether or not prayer works and so on. These kids were definate rookies compared to some folks who frequent this site. But to my disappointment, eventually they did the old arm gesture as in looking at their watch and saying that they had to be somewhere. That was just a great conversation that I wished had never ended. I had these boys looking like deer in the headlights a great deal of the time. It was kind of funny in the end, despite the fact that they appeared to be teenagers, on the way out they introduced themselves as Elder Petterson and Elder Wilson(or whatever their names were). I welcome them back anytime as they were very kind and gentle kids, and hope they return. That was absolutely one of the best discussions I have ever had in my post God belief life. I definately gave them many things to think about on their walk.

The Penn Jillette Gambit play masterfully there... Well done, sir!

I am from a Mormon family with two of my siblings out serving as missionaries. It makes me sad that they are throwing away two years of their lives promoting BS.

You guys know that within the church, every male is supposed to serve the two years, no exceptions.. at least thats what I was told. I thought once of fulfilling this duty but instead of the usual message, I would talk about atheism... oh that'll be the day! :D

Good on you, X. You're right about their age and lack of experience; at least here in Utah most Mormons are raised in an environment of such sheltered seclusion a monastic monk from the Middle Ages would raise an eyebrow or two.

Way to give them something to think about. Here's hoping they took it to heart. :)

I guess the real fun part of the whole exchange was the fact that I was totally in control of the conversation at all times. They never even came close to getting around to their message which I would have loved to hear. And to think most people dread religious door knockers. They make my day. And just for the record I was very respectful and polite at all times. I hope they at least thought I was a very kind atheist.

Aaaah, sweet memories.

Reminds me of a report by one of my German Asatruar pals some time ago, about pretty much the same happening (only with jehoover's witlesses instead of the morons). The line from younger morontheist to older morontheist he overheard just before closing the door, when they were on their way out, took the cake.

"It's maddening - why do the heathens always know the bible best?!"

:fdevil::lmao::pureevil: