Goodbye Jesus

The Best Argument For Christianity

Guest worldofourown

Guest worldofourown

i'd usually just shut up if people tell me they decide to believe even if it is false because i myself is guilty of that - such as worshipping pop idols when younger etc. is is like a kind of 'sinful' enjoyment. fandome is fun and if someone decides to embrace a religion because it is a type of enjoyment to them, i give it to them.

but the best one i had heard - one that made me laugh and could not think of a reply, is my friend (who is from a conservative christian family):

'god gave the rules to the israels. so now we are just trying to live like them. we are pretending to be them.don't know why'

for some reason i could only snort and was momentarily stunned because no christian or anybody had ever said in defense! lol

so what is the best excuse somebody had given you for believing in christianity/a religion?

First of all, it's not all excuses but true and genuine conviction. Being born in it is a pretty good reason, esp. if one cannot find a reason to throw it off. I have always known a pretty good reason to throw it off but lacked the strength to do so. I did finally chuck it but paid an exorbitant price for it. If you look around this forum a bit you will find that mine is not a unique case. I think that is a pretty strong argument for Christianity. What is your argument against it?

Best argument I heard was There are no atheist in foxholes.

Oh wait, that was an Orthodox Jew who said that.

I guess Christians are wrong.

If there were any really good reasons, some of us might still be Xians.

"Who are you to take away someone else's hope?" -- My mom.

mwc

Like mwc put it, ussually the "Everyones entitled to their own opinion and its rude to call their hope a delusion ect. ect." is the best they come up with.

Not really an argument though...

For personal conviction, a "I have my personal evidence" is perfectly fine.

Of course, trying to proselytize built upon just that is NOT.

(So is harrassing anyone else in any way, "justified" by that personal evidence. You want to convince/convert someone, present objective evidence. You don't have that, shut your pie hole)

The best I've heard is that I am stupid.

I'm not convinced though. :D

ps: if there are no atheist in foxholes., what are they doing in hell? :P

Best argument I heard was There are no atheist in foxholes.

Oh wait, that was an Orthodox Jew who said that.

I guess Christians are wrong.

That is not an argument agaist atheists, but an argument against foxholes.

The best argument I ever got from Christians was:

If you don't believe all this, you will go to Hell!

Nothing works better than simple fear!

The best argument I've heard was when one guy, upon hearing that I was an Atheist, said; "Are you calling my mother a liar?" I ignored him and talked to the rest of the group, which got him even madder. He started yelling and threatened to beat the fear of god into me. It didn't matter that I had over 100 lbs on him. It was so funny the other guys started laughing at him and he left.

Guest worldofourown

i really hate personal attacks or when they say things like.. so are you saying that millions of people were deluded for centuries? because the obvious answer is yes.

To tell you the truth, I am not sure what that means. He was a Jew, stepped in orthodox tradition, and observant as all get out.

We know that is not an argument, but a threat. But threats can not manufacture belief, only consent.

i really hate personal attacks or when they say things like.. so are you saying that millions of people were deluded for centuries? because the obvious answer is yes.

You know at the time, some of those beliefs were defensible because we just didn't know much about the world in those days. (That's why it's generally referred to the Dark Ages.) But we know soo much more now down to the structure of matter, confirming the earlier hypothysis of Atomist Greeks.

It's not that I hold contempt for ancient people. It's contempt for people who think that those dark-age beliefs are still literally defensible.

To tell you the truth, I am not sure what that means. He was a Jew, stepped in orthodox tradition, and observant as all get out.

We know that is not an argument, but a threat. But threats can not manufacture belief, only consent.

He's talking bollocks... my Grandfather was Methodist when he went in to WWI. He lost his faith at Ypres. He then had The Somme, safe in the knowledge there wasn't a god. Then back to Ypres.

He maintained that God died in Flanders. As an anti testimony goes it's probably as powerful as it gets in one sentence;

God died in Flanders.

I just read "America Alone" by Mark Steyn. And it makes an interesting case.

His premise is that:

1) Europe has become very secular, which has caused birth rates to drop below replacement levels.

2) Europe has become very socialized, which also adds to a lower birth rate.

3) Since they're not making enough kids to fund social programs in the future, they're flooding themselves with Muslims (many of them radicals) to fund the economy.

4) Since the Muslims birth rates are high, Europe will become a land of Muslim radicals within a couple of generations.

It's not a great argument, but I think this is the first time I've ever found myself in favor of Xtianity.

so what is the best excuse somebody had given you for believing in christianity/a religion?

Because Jesus opens up a parking space for me near the front of the grocery store every time I go.

Bet you didn't know Jesus was a valet parking attendant, didjya? :HaHa:

"The bible is true because the bible says so."

(You can't argue with that)

"You can't disprove it so it IS real."

(Just like flying hippo fairies)

"God doesn't give proof of his existense so we can know faith."

(Neither do the hippo fairies)

All of these are things that I've heard from well over one person and they all believed it competely. Except for the hippo fairies.

I just read "America Alone" by Mark Steyn. And it makes an interesting case.

His premise is that:

1) Europe has become very secular, which has caused birth rates to drop below replacement levels.

2) Europe has become very socialized, which also adds to a lower birth rate.

3) Since they're not making enough kids to fund social programs in the future, they're flooding themselves with Muslims (many of them radicals) to fund the economy.

4) Since the Muslims birth rates are high, Europe will become a land of Muslim radicals within a couple of generations.

It's not a great argument, but I think this is the first time I've ever found myself in favor of Xtianity.

It's also rubbish... just rubbish of a\specific faith...

You chaps have a bunch of cheap Catholics to do the jobs you don't want to... In the UK so so we... They're called Poles. Islamics here tend to be middle class

Because Jesus opens up a parking space for me near the front of the grocery store every time I go.

Bet you didn't know Jesus was a valet parking attendant, didjya? :HaHa:

And he coaches little league

34416.jpg

All of these are things that I've heard from well over one person and they all believed it competely. Except for the hippo fairies.

They don't believe in Hippo Fairies? How do they think gravity works without the hippo fairies keeping stuff down and in orbit?

They don't believe in Hippo Fairies? How do they think gravity works without the hippo fairies keeping stuff down and in orbit?

Yeah, I mean, it's OBVIOUSLY true seeing as you can't disprove it. :Doh:

sometime I'll explain my theory og Quantum Elven Dynamics, by which light and matter interact by the agency of tiny elves... :woohoo:

sometime I'll explain my theory og Quantum Elven Dynamics, by which light and matter interact by the agency of tiny elves... :woohoo:

No need to explain it. It can't be disproven so it's obviously true. :shrug:

My Mum told me "It helps you get through life having a faith". Well I'm sure drinking excessively helps you get through life but it doesn't mean it's necessarilly good for you.

One argument I was given during my youth really made my head hurt. Christianity must be true because it is so ridiculous.