Goodbye Jesus

Prayin' For Michigan Economy

Garnet

I about wrecked my car today when I saw a billboard that said:

DEAR GRACIOUS HEAVENLY FATHER, Forgive us our sin of being dependent upon the Automobile Industry and not on You. Please restore invention, productivity and prosperity. In Jesus Name, A Michigan Citizen.

What the fuck? The blasted thing is black with BRIGHT-LOOK-THE-FUCK-AT-ME-ORANGE lettering. I thought I left that kind of crap behind when I left Alabama.

I found an article written in 2005 about this:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2005/08/02/bus...s/billboard.php

It's 2007 now and look how much that prayer helped. NOT. Michigan economy is even worse.

Haven't these people ever heard of praying in their closets?

Very interesting that the doctor who put up the bilboards used to be on staff at the hospital that employs me. It really is too bad that Michigan's automobile industry has gone down the tubes. Back in the 60's an illiterate man could land a great paying job at GM that could well support his family.

It just blows me away that someone with the intelligence of a physician could even believe for a second pleading to an invisible man in the sky via a billboard would really do any good for our state's economy.

I don't think it's an actual plea. I think it's show boating. The billboard I saw here in Lansing actually had a name on the bottom, not just "a concerned citizen." To me, it smacks of someone standing up, thumping himself on the chest and saying, "Look at what I'm doing, you miserable sinners!"

Economics is a kind of religion, rather than science. so, I don't see that prayer, nor the sacrificing of small animals and virgins, is out of the way...

and most corporate accountants I know would be fired by Wolfram and Hart as too souless and ruthless for their purposes...

DEAR GRACIOUS HEAVENLY FATHER, Forgive us our sin of being dependent upon the Automobile Industry and not on You. Please restore invention, productivity and prosperity. In Jesus Name, A Michigan Citizen.

Unfortunately, the good people of Michigan will get the same results by kneeling before the chromed front grills of their Buicks.

*sniffs* I drive a Pontiac. *nose up in air* The problem is, people need to pray to Pontiacs that are obviously superior cars. It's obvious to anyone that it's those Toyota worshippers that are causing allll the problems to Michigan's economy. And those Buick heretics aren't helping either.

*sniffs* I drive a Pontiac. *nose up in air* The problem is, people need to pray to Pontiacs that are obviously superior cars. It's obvious to anyone that it's those Toyota worshippers that are causing allll the problems to Michigan's economy. And those Buick heretics aren't helping either.

I used to drive Chrysler... the wee Neon. Lovely car...

I confess, I preferred my Alfa-Romeo GTV... ;)

Maybe New Zealanders have better billboard wars than Americans...

Complaint against Bush billboard upheld

By Sarah McDonald

A complaint made against a Hell Pizza billboard featuring US President George Bush has been partially upheld by the Advertising Standards Complaints Board (ASCB).

The advertisement featured Mr Bush and the words "Hell. Too good for some evil bastards".

Objections were made to the use of slang in a public place, the alleged denigration of Mr Bush, and perceived blasphemy.

One of the complainants described the billboard as a vicious smear campaign against an openly Christian person.

But advertising agency Cinderella Ltd defended the billboard, saying that it tapped in to a growing sense of outrage about the invasion of Iraq.

The agency also said that use of the term "bastard" is widespread and can be considered a compliment.

The board ruled the choice of words was irresponsible, but the association with Mr. Bush did not cause serious or widespread offence.

<snip>

The ASCB is part of New Zealand’s self-regulatory system for monitoring the content of advertising.

23-Feb-2007

View billboard:

http://www.nbr.co.nz/images/hell_billboard_400.jpg

Article from here: http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.a...=Business+Today

I about wrecked my car today when I saw a billboard

Actually, perhaps that is the intended result? :wicked: More people needing new cars.

I about wrecked my car today when I saw a billboard

Actually, perhaps that is the intended result? :wicked: More people needing new cars.

So that's the plan! Bastards.

I just returned from a business trip and drove by the bulletin board again. It's funny how the mind plays tricks. I could have sworn that the billboard was black with orange writing. It's not...it's brown with yellow writing. I'm usually an accurate observer...but not this time. Oy.

could it have faded?

I just returned from a business trip and drove by the bulletin board again. It's funny how the mind plays tricks. I could have sworn that the billboard was black with orange writing. It's not...it's brown with yellow writing. I'm usually an accurate observer...but not this time. Oy.

It's a miracle! God exists!

LOL! Nah, it didn't fade. It's actually a good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) example of how stress can affect a person's observation. The title of the thread actually wasn't a joke. I really did almost wreck my car...I came damned close to rear-ending someone because I was gawking at the damned board.

I have a relative who lives in an area of Michigan where the unemployment rate is higher than the state average. He claims it is because 70% of the population doesn't attend church. I'm sure he would love this billboard.

I have a relative who lives in an area of Michigan where the unemployment rate is higher than the state average. He claims it is because 70% of the population doesn't attend church. I'm sure he would love this billboard.

If that's the case, then remaining 30% are getting hired by other Church-going members. Since that must be the case, then Church-going members are going out of their way to make poor people and not only make them poor, but starving and clothesless. That is, if your relative is correct in his numbers.

• 1 month later...
It's 2007 now and look how much that prayer helped. NOT. Michigan economy is even worse.

I lived in Grand Rapids up until 2005. I got out before the economy got too bad, but it was even pretty dismal back then. It's pretty ironic that the pastor of the church I attended there talked about how poor Haiti was because they rejected God, while West Michigan is incredibly conservative and religious, but they're going in the shithole too despite hanging on to "God's promises".

It's funny, after I deconverted, I got the highest paying jobs I've ever had in my life. Before when I was religious (and had really low self-esteem as a result), I had crappy paying jobs.