Goodbye Jesus

I just might be Atheist

shy1680

Shy...

Like you I am probably about 90% atheist. I think that there is still a small part of me that will not quite go there yet due to fear. On some level it's a frightening thought that when you die, that's it. But my mind keeps telling me that fact over and over.

If it helps any, you won't be there for your own death. From your perspective, you will not die.

• 2 weeks later...

I am behind the game on this one, but I just wanted to throw my hat in as yet another who started off my journey by faithfully seeking god in the bible. I started to get fed up with the church and all of the drivel coming from the mouths of preachers, so I literally said to myself, and god through prayer, that I was done listening to man and that I was going to use god and "his word" to find his truth and his will for my life. The more I studied, the further I went, until eventually I had to come to grips with the reality that I no longer believed.

As Penn Jillette says in Bullshit, "Read your Bible! Don't read it because it contains facts or history, we've shown you that it doesn't. Read it because we need more atheists, and nothing will get you there faster than reading the damned bible."

Whether you believe in something or not, for I don't think that we can choose what to believe in matters such as these any more than we can choose what our fingerprints look like, the bible when really, really looked at, leads often to an inability to believe its fanciful stories as fact.

Welcome to our little site. I hope that you are enjoying yourself here.

Libertus

If you've ever had this done, you'll know what I'm talking about. One moment the anesthesiologist was telling me, "this is going to feel like a couple of margaritas. Do you feel anything yet?" ... "Not yet." and the very next moment I was in recovery. There were no dreams, no sense of the passage of time, nothing at all. As best I can tell, my consciousness ceased to exist in any way. Of course, this happens every night to most people between dreams, but you don't notice because it happens gradually instead of instantly.

Yep, I know! I had my wisdom teeth removed a few years ago, and while I was out I did not feel or know anything at all. When I woke up, it was as if I had just suddenly popped back into existence.